how to distinguish my flies

Hi everyone, just a question from a newbie on the forum and only been fly fishing for a month, how do i remember what flies are what.
I know the obvious, buzzers, daddies, lures, etc. but i'm struggling when it comes to all the different types of dries. I have a good selection as a starter and growing by the day!. It's what to use, and when. I know what they are when i buy them, but forget after a week or so. Is there any special way of remembering what fly to use and when. All i go by is what the local fishery suggests then buy what they recommend. Is this the way forward, and just try to remember as the years go by. Thanks for any hints or tips.

hutch6

Never been one for remembering names of flies either but if you take a picture with your phone when you buy them and write the name on the photo that could work. Suggestions of getting a John Norris catalogue is another - I used to spend hours in the car on y summer lake holiday pouring over the flies and stuff in that catalogue like any other sane young boy would do over the lingerie section of the littlewoods catalogue.

Best to just remember what fly you had on, how you fished it and what was happening at the time that you caught a fish on it if nothing else.

GEK79

Never been one for remembering names of flies either but if you take a picture with your phone when you buy them and write the name on the photo that could work. Suggestions of getting a John Norris catalogue is another - I used to spend hours in the car on y summer lake holiday pouring over the flies and stuff in that catalogue like any other sane young boy would do over the lingerie section of the littlewoods catalogue.

Best to just remember what fly you had on, how you fished it and what was happening at the time that you caught a fish on it if nothing else.
Littlewoods lingerie section.. Seems I should have ordered a John norris catalogue may have had more luck with that...

easker1

The way I remember is because I tie my own,and I stick to 5 or 6 patterns, so there is no confusion easker1

Latest posts