How to Dull the Shine?

dovidola

Please excuse any basic/protocol/terminology errors as this is my first post here and I know little about this subject, hence my enquiry:

I like a dull, subdued and less reflective colour/finish on the rods I use for trout. For some reason, when I buy a rod the handle 'metalware' to the rear of the handle (end cap, threads etc) tends to come in a brilliantly shiny silver-nickel, with a reflective flash in sunlight that I really could do without.

Is there some way I can permanently 'dull down' these metal parts to a matt pewter type of finish which doesn't involve dismantling the rod or using special equipment? Like a spray or something?

fredaevans

Have a chat with an auto parts counter person; odds on they will have just what you need. Auto 'under paint' may be just the ticket.

fae

- - - Updated - - -

Have a chat with an auto parts counter person; odds on they will have just what you need. Auto 'under paint' may be just the ticket.

fae

don1971

Something like 1000 /800 paper will take the shine off.

JayP

Look for liver of sulphur oil, be aware a little goes a long long way and make sure you have the windows open when using it :thumbs:

G

guest54

Look for liver of sulphur oil, be aware a little goes a long long way and make sure you have the windows open when using it :thumbs:
How To Create Patina With Liver Of Sulphur
Liver of Sulphur is used to achieve an antique look or a patina on metal which can be black or a range of colours.
The silver reacts chemically with the Sulphur, which changes its colour as it oxidises, until it eventually turns black. This is a very similar process to when Silver tarnishes but speeded up.
LOS is excellent for use on textured surfaces, as it enhances the difference between the raised and the lowered parts of the texture and makes subtle patterns more visible.
It can be used on copper, bronze, sterling silver, metal clays (PMC & Art Clay) & after a little surface preparation work, brass & gold too.

Extracted from the web, not sure it will work well enough on chome/nickel, which is probably what the reel fitting is made of.
There are methods of cold blacking of nickel but I'm not sure they are available for home use, perhaps check out model railway suppliers/forums they require all sorts of finishes/patina's for track and rolling stock.

JayP

Worked fine on an Alps B101 reel seat which is nickel chrome
How To Create Patina With Liver Of Sulphur
Liver of Sulphur is used to achieve an antique look or a patina on metal which can be black or a range of colours.
The silver reacts chemically with the Sulphur, which changes its colour as it oxidises, until it eventually turns black. This is a very similar process to when Silver tarnishes but speeded up.
LOS is excellent for use on textured surfaces, as it enhances the difference between the raised and the lowered parts of the texture and makes subtle patterns more visible.
It can be used on copper, bronze, sterling silver, metal clays (PMC & Art Clay) & after a little surface preparation work, brass & gold too.

Extracted from the web, not sure it will work well enough on chome/nickel, which is probably what the reel fitting is made of.
There are methods of cold blacking of nickel but I'm not sure they are available for home use, perhaps check out model railway suppliers/forums they require all sorts of finishes/patina's for track and rolling stock.

splinters

If it's nickel silver any gun blue will bring it down to a nice dark grey like you see on old cane rods. Silvo polish will restore it to bright finish. If it's another bright chrome/silver finish I can't help.

Simon.