How to keep my hands warm!

JobberDun

How do you keep your hands warm while fishing in this cold weather?

I have been looking at buying some fingerless gloves, but I'm not certain how well these will work.

Have you any recommendations for me?

Thanks

Russ

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
How do you keep your hands warm while fishing in this cold weather?

I have been looking at buying some fingerless gloves, but I'm not certain how well these will work.

Have you any recommendations for me?

Thanks

Russ
get a rayrow hand warmer!
Simple rechargable device, sits in pocket, or held in cold hand whilst casting.
Is the d.b.'s!
Bert

JobberDun

Thank you for your answer.

I would not believe such things were available!

Seriously thinking that at twelve quid it's worth a punt.

Thanks

Russ

PaulD

These Zippo, lighter fuel hand warmers are excellent. I have two and keep one in each of the side pockets in my wading jacket. Filled with fuel, they last for the day.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Thank you for your answer.

I would not believe such things were available!

Seriously thinking that at twelve quid it's worth a punt.

Thanks

Russ
Without a doubt.
Keeps hands warm for 6 hours on low heat, 4 hours on high.
Also doubles up as mobile charger too!
But wont keep hands warm if you do that!
Bert

morayfisher

Trust Member
get a rayrow hand warmer!
Simple rechargable device, sits in pocket, or held in cold hand whilst casting.
Is the d.b.'s!
Bert
I’ve had one similar to that for about three years. Still going strong, works brilliantly.

Tangled

Neoprene fingerless glove for sure - usually just a few quid in Aldi/Lidl. (useful against midges and mosquitoes too.)

After that it's about additional heat. After experiencing medical heat pads for other reasons I think they're worth a look too.

bigmaggie

the problem in winter is not only cold but when retrieving line in its wet and cold i found when wearing gloves you can't feel the line as well so i use surgical gloves to keep my hands dry which helps if you try it buy the black ones its less noticeable

wrongfoot

These Zippo, lighter fuel hand warmers are excellent. I have two and keep one in each of the side pockets in my wading jacket. Filled with fuel, they last for the day.

https://www.whitbyandco.co.uk/collections/hand-warmers/products/whitby-hand-warmer are slightly better design that the Zippo. Affordable too if you get the Clipper Lighter fluid from Poundland.

pentlandflyman

Grayling fishing its the constant wet hands that makes it so painful, once they are wet and the wind or cold air hits them its just horrible. I tried hand warmers but they are only good when you have a break and you are back to square one once you start fishing again. Same with the gloves like the ones from seal skinz, they aren't fun to fish with and just make things awkward. The best thing I've found is black latex gloves like a tattoo artist would wear. You can still feel and do everything but your hands are dry and the cold air is kept off the bare skin. Making sure your core is kept warm is also important so make sure you are well wrapped up. You can still use the hand warmers when you have a break but the latex gloves just make it more comfortable whilst actually fishing.

squimp

Snowbee do thin neoprene gloves that have a couple of fingers shortened. They are good.

BobP

When I was out picking up with the dogs before Christmas the estate had insisted that anyone handling shot game must wear gloves. I wore a pair of the black nitrile gloves with a pair of Simms fingerless gloves on top. I'd wear that arrangement when fishing without doubt.

Paul_B

https://www.whitbyandco.co.uk/collections/hand-warmers/products/whitby-hand-warmer are slightly better design that the Zippo. Affordable too if you get the Clipper Lighter fluid from Poundland.

I have hand warmer pockets in my fishing coat with one of those in each pocket, I found the Whitby the better of the petrol type.

However, since my new body warmer has heated pockets I don't know if they'll be needed again, I'll find out once its safe to going into the water,

If everyone follows the rules, it'll not be long :ROFLMAO:

micka

Followed Keith Arthur's advice years ago and still a great way to wind and waterproof your hands - I've put this advice on previous threads of this kind but worth repeating:

Before setting out for your trip spend a good while (10 minutes or so) rubbing Vaseline (yes we've heard all the jokes) well into your hands. I really mean spending enough time to initially saturate your hands and fingers and to keep rubbing them until it's all fully absorbed, adding more Vaseline when necessary to really build up the barrier. The texture of your skin will actually feel different but by God will it pay off when you are on the river.

All the other advice about hand warmers (I have the charged one too) and quality fingerless mittens is great. I need my fingers free when trotting or fly fishing for grayling and the Vaseline coating keeps them wind and waterproof.

Of course, ensuring the rest of your body is warm too is vital. Modern layering, merino socks and neoprenes are vital for me and some really good headwear. I like the Barbour tank commander style which is fur lined on the ears and has super lining for the head - wax it up and it's fully waterproof too. My wife replaced the fiddly buckle fastener with velcro which is much easier to fasten up and remove. You may look stupid but you stay cosy warm.

How I'd love to be grayling fishing now!

Mick

wobbly face

I use a pair of fingerless gloves by Guideline. Be careful how you say this, they are the FIR skin ones: https://www.johnnorris.co.uk/products/guideline-fir-skin-wind-proof-fingerless-gloves You might be able to buy them cheaper, wait for a JN sale which I did and I also used a JN voucher.
I like micka's use of Vaseline. (y)
I've tried several mitts or fingerless ones. I found neoprene too thick/bulky and once wet my hands never warmed up. Thermal mitts, again no good if wet. Before the Guidelines I used Abu Garcia fingerless felt mitts with rubber on the palms. The rubber did make the mitts a bit bulky and the felt got soggy when wet but they did keep some heat in the hands.

Latest posts