How would this fly box have changed

Cooperman

The attached photos genuinely show my fly boxes from about 40 years ago. They were used on the Usk only and would probably have been tied by the legend that is Jean Williams at Sweets Tackle shop in Usk. Is the shop still going?? I’m also old enough to have seen Lionel Sweet competition casting at Glanusk.
Anyway I digress. The question is how different would the contents of this fly box look today???

77026FB4-B345-4D5B-9125-FB60971AEF5B.jpeg
F488E2BD-4904-4866-A408-A4581338BECF.jpeg
9B3974E3-A732-415F-B092-FABA5984B556.jpeg

Elwyman

Nice to see a piece of history. Beaded nymphs and CDC emergers and dries would be in a modern box, but I enjoy using traditional wets and spiders as well.

Last edited:

codyarrow

My box looks nothing like that now, but last year there was one occasion when I cursed myself for not having a simple coachman like the one in your box.

themind

Kent, garden of England with a hosepipe ban!
I'd still use all of those. I tend not to do down and across now but I still have some winged wets in my box. Usually can't be bothered with feather slip wings so dont tend to carry those and my current box has a lots of CDC / snowshoe / parachutes etc and lots more spiders and nymphs (I dont use bead heads so thats not a change). I think the biggest difference between that box and my grab and go box is the size of flies, I'm guessing those are manly 14/12s - My grab and go box has flies from 24s -10s but mainly 16s / 18s.

Steve

iainmortimer

I'd agree with the above. The majority of flies I have in my Usk box are parachutes in olive, grey and black and most are 16's and 18's. The rest are beaded nymphs and a few deer hair emergers and rarely do I use anything other than that. Sweets was certainly going up until closure due to Covid and was still shut up to a few weeks ago. I have no idea whether Jean will open again or not but if she is fit and able then I would expect she will. Always a great place to stop in for a chat and often a tea or coffee so always allow plenty of time!