Hugh Falkus "sea trout fishing"

M

marky

Hugh Falkus "sea trout fishing"

Products5C8415C8815C9781841881843_m.jpg

has anyone read this book ?

i'm right into it the now and it's recommended . I dont know much about Hugh Falkus but his knowledge of sea-trout is great . Learnt alot and im only 33 pages in !!!!!

M

marky

ah

sorry folks , I'v just came across this book as it was recommended by an old friend , obviously very well known on here and in the fishing world ....

ACW did you meet the man I take it ?

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
sorry folks , I'v just came across this book as it was recommended by an old friend , obviously very well known on here and in the fishing world ....

ACW did you meet the man I take it ?
Yes had the pleasure several times ,once near killed myself with excess of blended whisky in his company ,shame would like a lucid recollection of the evening !:rolleyes:

M

marky

Yes had the pleasure several times ,once near killed myself with excess of blended whisky in his company ,shame would like a lucid recollection of the evening !:rolleyes:

what was he like ACW ? aristocratic ? or a normal guy that loves the outdoors ?

guest27

what was he like ACW ? aristocratic ? or a normal guy that loves the outdoors ?

A drunk and a philanderer with a vicious edge to his tongue - yes, just a normal guy that loves the outdoors.

He did write a good book but let's not eulogise him.

RPS

Successful Sea Trout Angling

...by Moc Morgan and Graeme Harris surely makes Falkus's book look so dated.

For a romantic sea trout journey during the close season .....Charles McLaren or Bill Currie.

P

Puss in Boots

He was full time gillie to Richard Waddington for a good while; another who's books were ahead of their times.

I find Sea Trout Fishing a bit 'how to do it'; Falkus' other books are good though, some are quite rare. I'm told his BBC wildlife commentary was superb and that he had a 'golden' broadcasting voice.

PiB

Last edited:
M

marky

!!!

!!!!!!!!! rare ? i just typed hugh falkue into amazon and theres copies of his "The Stolen Years" £235.00....

also read somewhere he was the sole survivor of a ship wreck ..

i'm enjoying this sea trout book . But i do find some of it alot to take in/understand to my stenhousemuir brain :rolleyes:

guest21

He did write a good book but let's not eulogise him.

It was indeed a good book for the time but I always found his style a touch too dogmatic for my taste and let's not forget he had privileged access to water undisturbed by other anglers.

...by Moc Morgan and Graeme Harris surely makes Falkus's book look so dated.
I too find that Morgan and Harris book a far better 'read' than Falkus and more relevant to the association water that most of us have access to. However, 'Successful Sea Trout' is also now quite dated and if there was ever an opportunity for a 'new' book, Sea Trout fishing would be a fruitful area to explore.

I find Sea Trout Fishing a bit 'how to do it';

PiB

Indeed it is - back to my view that he was too dogmatic - and that his 'theories' were based almost solely on his experiences of his own water.

Country Joe

His tactics appeared to work on some rivers but not others, on the Nith his medicine works, but lets face it its just a Teal Blue and Silver on a big hook.
years ago on the Nith when there were big runs of Seatrout, myself and friends tried his Sunk lure many times and the way he prescribed to be fished, but it didn't work for us,
Enjoyed his book though.

Reactions: atr

ACW

In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
Falkus ,wrote a good book ,it was the inspiration to leave fishing stockies and chase the migratories and other wild fish .
His methods were a frame work to work around ,and then do it my way
No different than Walker Cove Ivens Sawyer ,a good place to start from !

Jame Waltham seatrout fly book probably has had more influence on me than any other !

the very short times I spent in his company(Falks) were fun ,which is why I fish .
Enjoyment .

Latest posts