Hugh Falkus "sea trout fishing"

PaulD

what about Sea trout fishing by Charles Maclaren? a master before falkus, easker1
Charles McClaren.jpg

A really good book from 1963, but a year after Falkus's first edition of 1962.

Both Mclaren's and Falkus's books are really excellent but their content is really localised . . . as most seatrout books are. Morgan and Harris's 'Successful Sea Trout Angling' is also localised to Welsh circumstances but far more 'modern'.

For a more up to date assessment of sea trout fishing, I'd recommend Stefan Jones', 'Sea Trout, Tips, Tricks & Tribulations' 2017.

easker1

I see that Paul But Charles Maclaren was working on Loch maree Long before that he was born and Brought up there see the fly Kate Maclaren after his wife, easker1

patk

Falkus, I feel was at the stage when he wrote his Sea Trout tome, to where he is simply fishing the way it suits him. Certainly people will have a way of sea trout fishing that is much different, and they are free to prefer, practice and develop their own theme on that. Falkus put into print what he likes. And, that is to what I was alluding, with my choice of what pleases me. I could probably write a treatise of trout spey in Maori land, and inspire quite a few people to try it, and love it - but it certainly doesn’t make me the oracle, nor any better at it. So neither should Falkus be considered an oracle for sea trout fishing for the telling his sea trout story.
The fish I catch my way, and presumably Falkus catching his way; is like your fish above, your way - with cane and silk. My way blinkers me to yours, and Falkus’s, because I am long invested down my preferred path, in the same way I could not switch to supporting soccer, or a soccer team, though it doesn’t prevent me admiring an overhead scissor kick into the goal; and nor make me want to kick a soccer ball.I

I dont post a lot here. In fact a lot less than i would have years ago. However the forum has been a constant source of open information on every type of fishing from generous souls. I may regeret this but. **** it. You come across as an asshole in your formed singular exclusive thinking. Again and again in thread after thread. Write your book if you really believe you can match or better Falkus ill buy it. However from your contributions ill need to read the reviews as your thinking on angling for me leaves a lot to be desired. On every level of the sport i love.

micka

Falkus will always divide opinion, he was by nature a polemicist who would often unjustly dismiss other people's opinions on a whim and sometimes with great cruelty.

When I first heard his narrating voice on the Jaques Cousteau TV series I was seduced by his rich narrative tones (like a Roman orator as David Profumo described him). When I discovered he was a game angler I thought he must be such a font of wisdom and the epitome of kindness. Sadly he wasn't. He could be childishly petulant and had a knack for falling out with just about all of his friends at one time or another. He treated two of his wives appallingly and effectively disowned his children. The real heroine in the Falkus story is his first wife who brought up three very talented children on her own.

But many will say so what? After all, Falkus wrote with such beautiful prose and penned two of the most readable and rewarding books in game fishing which have given pleasure to innumerable sea trout and salmon anglers and will continue to do so. However, the books were not innovatory in the way that Falkus would have us believe and as has been stated above there are more modern works on sea trout fishing which the game angler could benefit from.

For my own part after reading Chris Newton's brilliant biography of Falkus I did, as the Telegraph reviewer said at the time, find it "jaw dropping," and could not sustain my former admiration for the man once his life "warts and all" were so tellingly exposed by Newton. And btw Newton was not conducting a hatchet job, indeed quite the contrary, recognising many of Falkus' talents and qualities. I will continue to enjoy his books, relish his lucid prose and admire his brilliant organisational skills as an author. But I cannot stay in the hero worshipping trap where so many of Falkus' admirers are happy to reside.

Mick

Last edited:

LukeNZ

I dont post a lot here. In fact a lot less than i would have years ago. However the forum has been a constant source of open information on every type of fishing from generous souls. I may regeret this but. **** it. You come across as an asshole in your formed singular exclusive thinking. Again and again in thread after thread. Write your book if you really believe you can match or better Falkus ill buy it. However from your contributions ill need to read the reviews as your thinking on angling for me leaves a lot to be desired. On every level of the sport i love.

Keep practicing your posting Pat. And cheer up!

🙃

patk

Keep practicing your posting Pat. And cheer up!

🙃
Thanks for the encouragement. And you're right I am out of touch with my posts should have included smug and patronising in your description. A beautiful day here in the south of Ireland. Cheerful in the extreme. Have a great day hopefully you will get some time away from the keyboard.

LukeNZ

Thanks for the encouragement. And you're right I am out of touch with my posts should have included smug and patronising in your description. A beautiful day here in the south of Ireland. Cheerful in the extreme. Have a great day hopefully you will get some time away from the keyboard.
I don’t really spend too much time at it Pat. And good to see you persevering with your posting.
Nice here too, currently down south of NZ flew in to a nice spot to fish earlier this week, just out of Wanaka. Then went over the range into the Fiordland NP. As you can see the weather is great, despite a bit of snow.

Keep smiling; and it might become a habit.

🙃

8BBAA8DE-3087-486F-9EF2-080EDD26595D.jpeg
40F543DE-CC49-41A3-9593-3A69BDA7580C.jpeg

micka

I don’t really spend too much time at it Pat. And good to see you persevering with your posting.
Nice here too, currently down south of NZ flew in to a nice spot to fish earlier this week, just out of Wanaka. Then went over the range into the Fiordland NP. As you can see the weather is great, despite a bit of snow.

Keep smiling; and it might become a habit.

🙃

View attachment 39197View attachment 39198
You do realise you've made us all just a tad envious!!!

Mick

LukeNZ

You do realise you've made us all just a tad envious!!!

Mick
Hi Mick, here are a few more…

The hill in the background is Aoraki (Mount Cook) at 12,218ft. our highest mountain and river flow comes from a lake formed by the melt of the Hooker glacier, which you can see at the head of the lake from the neve’ on Aoraki
C20763C6-5947-4CC2-8E23-AD68496C8A7C.jpeg

Latest posts