Hull color: Does it matter for Stillwater fishing?

bgooch

I'm going to be ordering a new 12' boat for my Stillwater fishing here across the Pond. I have a choice of numerous colors, including white, for the gel coat on the hull.

Any insights on whether the hull color affects fishing in Stillwaters? If so, what colors are "good" and which ones are "bad"?

Thank you.

Cheers,

Bryan

Lewis Chessman

I'm no authority, bgooch, and I know it's a subject like fly line colour, which has different opinions.
However, I do remember that an old boss put a lot of thought into it. He usually fished under cloud cover so opted to paint the boat's hull light grey so as to blend in with the most common fishing conditions it would be used in. Of course, it went out in all weathers and he was just playing the odds on a North West Scottish loch.
I spent many hours in that boat and never felt it was the hull which spooked a fish whatever the weather! Far more likely a noise, shadow, rod flash or splash of oar or line. It wasn't unusual for fish to follow the fly close in to the boat, but then I've seen that on boats of brown and green, too.

I know that's not much help but the idea of mirroring the most common sky behind you might be worth considering?

bobmiddlepoint

I'm firmly of the opinion that it matters not a jot. The fish know full well that the boat is there and painting it grey or blue to blend in with the sky isn't going to hide it from a trout that can spot a hatching midge!

I was always surprised how easily the grey estate boats on Uist would vanish even on small lochs if the light was right. It got me wondering if one painted in a ripple camouflage pattern of different greys and pale blues might be even harder to spot. It would of course offer no advantage to fishing and would be a positive hindrance to any search and rescue mission but the idea of a stealth (from the point of view of other anglers) boat appealed to my dafter side!

Anyway grey or green for me.

Andy

anzac

I'm firmly of the opinion that it matters not a jot. The fish know full well that the boat is there and painting it grey or blue to blend in with the sky isn't going to hide it from a trout that can spot a hatching midge!

I was always surprised how easily the grey estate boats on Uist would vanish even on small lochs if the light was right. It got me wondering if one painted in a ripple camouflage pattern of different greys and pale blues might be even harder to spot. It would of course offer no advantage to fishing and would be a positive hindrance to any search and rescue mission but the idea of a stealth (from the point of view of other anglers) boat appealed to my dafter side!

Anyway grey or green for me.

Andy
Do you have any pirates or buccaneers in your family tree by any chance?

Wee Jimmy

Who knows if it matters a jot to the fish..? but I do know that I wouldn’t be comfortable fishing from a fluorescent red painted boat.Makes sense to use subdued colours.

BobP

The speed at which rainbow trout on our reservoirs dive under a boat when hooked indicates to me that they are far from scared by it. Also, it is a very frequent occurrence that trout will rise within feet of a drifting boat. I think that what will scare them is noise from the boat, ie dropping something, or drifting in shallow water on a bright day when the moving shadow will certainly spook them.

codyarrow

Whilst fishing a highland loch my boat partner and I were advised beforehand that the trick to this loch was to remain absolutely quiet afloat. Unfortunately my boat partner was in pre divorce mood; after 4 hrs of ranting about her excessive spending on dresses to cover her fat arse, her obnoxious pals, wrong biscuit buying etc etc I decided to call it a day.:) As already mentioned I think noise is more of an issue than colour, more so in low wind.

anzac

Sound travels amazingly well underwater. So, silence in a boat instead of colour is, I would believe, much more important.

Wee Jimmy

Being quiet in the boat is a no brainier though.Are we really saying that we would be equally as happy fishing from a fluorescent boat as a subdued one......??

Be honest,if there were only two boats left in the harbour,an orange one and a grey one...which one would you pick..?

Last edited:

easker1

Being quiet in the boat is a no brainier though.Are we really saying that we would be equally as happy fishing from a fluorescent boat as a subdued one......??

Be honest,if there were only two boats left in the harbour,an orange one and a grey one...which one would you pick..?
Our Club has a variety of Boats with hulls from Green and white and we don't notice much of a difference,you are fishing away from the boat any way, easker1

bgooch

Thank you to all of your replies.

White is the standard color offered with the boat I'm considering. Others, including grey, are up-charges. So, I think I'll save the money and go with the white.

Cheers,
Bryan

bobmiddlepoint

Thank you to all of your replies.

White is the standard color offered with the boat I'm considering. Others, including grey, are up-charges. So, I think I'll save the money and go with the white.

Cheers,
Bryan
Having said it doesn't matter a jot I don't think I'd go for a white one if I had the choice. That just seems too bright too me and only suitable for rich peoples yachts!
If you put it in peat stained water it could soon have a brown bottom which will look naff.

A transparent one would be useful.

Andy

Cap'n Fishy

I think white should be fine. It's only white by reflected light. A view of it from below water will make it largely silhouetted against the sky, with little reflected light coming back from it.

Can't be too careful though... 🤭

Col

bobmiddlepoint

I think white should be fine. It's only white by reflected light. A view of it from below water will make it largely silhouetted against the sky, with little reflected light coming back from it.

Col
It isn't so much the worry of scaring fish with a white boat. I just think it will look a poncey, white is not really a working mans hull colour is it?

Andy

Cap'n Fishy

Honestly no I don't. I tried them and didn't like them at all.
North Uist has one and it is universally disliked on the island.

Andy
Yeh - they don't have many fans. Drift very poorly. The pump inevitably perishes and, after it does, it's impossible to bale it properly. They do feel big and roomy and safe to be in - that's one thing in their favour.

I see those shiny new ones have a plate for mounting a leccy in addition to a petrol motor... but it's surely at the wrong side of the transom? :unsure:

We had older Coulams on Loch Hope in 2018 and managed to get the leccy on the correct side without a plate for it...

Should I write and tell Mr Coulam? 🤭

Col