Humpy

m r roid

1st. attempt at a Humpy.....
I didn't have any Elk hock for the tail, so the only non compressible hair I had to hand was squirrel tail.
IMG_20200919_123055.jpg

silver creek

Kathy Buchner, wife of Jay Buchner is the expert on tying the Humpy. She wrote an article in Fly Fisherman Magazine over 25 years age that are the best directions I have ever found. Her method of determining the correct combined length of hair for the body and wings was worth the price if the magazine.

Once the tail is tied in, the hair is measured against the entire length of the fly from hook eye to end of the tail and cut to that length.

That tip and many more can be found in Gretchen and Al Beatty's Humpy Encyclopedia which you can download free at:

FreeHumpy-COVER-3x4Web.jpg

m r roid

Thanks for the link, Silver Creek, much appreciated.
The method I used was that of Charlie Craven on YouTube
Kathy Buchner, wife of Jay Buchner is the expert on tying the Humpy. She wrote an article in Fly Fisherman Magazine over 25 years age that are the best directions I have ever found. Her method of determining the correct combined length of hair for the body and wings was worth the price if the magazine.

Once the tail is tied in, the hair is measured against the entire length of the fly from hook eye to end of the tail and cut to that length.

That tip and many more can be found in Gretchen and Al Beatty's Humpy Encyclopedia which you can download free at:

FreeHumpy-COVER-3x4Web.jpg

Last edited:

silver creek

The free Beatty book has variations on Humpies like the Humpy Trude.

If you ever get out to fish the during the Yellow Sally Stonefly hatch on the rivers in Montana, I think a yellow Humpy Trude would work for the yellow sallies. I think it is on chapter 4 in the book.

I fish Grizzy Wulffs which are yellow during that hatch.

badcaster

Wow, what a book, thanks for the link, much more in there than just the humpy!

I love tying the humpy, here's another useful link to the tight line video channel that I used to start me off: