Hury Reservoir, Durham

noel

Paul whereabouts in Teesdale I will be just in the other valley in Weardale so may be able to come and join you on a trip out we have a static in Eastgate Stanhope area . You will need your waist waders and your lure box .

- - - Updated - - -

This is also one of Bigtel's favourite waters.

mat elot

Hi Noel, we are staying at the Teesdale Hotel in Stockton on Tees for 3 nights,might also book another couple of nights in the area,depending if the wife can get the time off work.As to lures afraid I don't have anything bigger than a size 10. lol
Paul.

noddy299

Is anyone going up to Hury for opening day? I've never been before but I'm going to be there. Any tips?

Noddy

tacfly

Shame they have pushed back opening for a week, I was looking to go on Sunday 11th. Definitely worth having buzzers in your fly box at any time of year.

mat elot

Shame they have pushed back opening for a week, I was looking to go on Sunday 11th. Definitely worth having buzzers in your fly box at any time of year.

Thanks for that, bit of a downer for me as I have 3 nights b & b booked for me and the mrs in Teesdale and I was hoping for a few hours at Hury as well as others in the area,still safety is more important.
Paul.

noddy299

Yeah it's scuppered my plans. I will now be going next Sunday provided I can get a weekend pass to watch rugby all day on the Saturday and then fish all day Sunday. Some brownie points to be earned this week.
That's good to know, I fish mainly buzzers and nymphs generally anyways but I've not tackled anything quite as large as Hury yet.

tacfly

If you are lucky early season and given the right conditions, there will be a hatch of chironomids, mid day or early afternoon. If you see fish topping change tactics as quick as possible as they will not be there for long. Gold head nymphs work well fished slowly. Failing that try wets, muddler fished on an intermediate line or a small olive lure would be worth a go.

noddy299

Cheers for the help stacon. I'll give it a go. All else fails. Something black. Fished slowly. Can't go wrong.

Mat elot, there's plenty small still waters in the area that are more than worth a go. Need any advice just give me a message

Last edited:

fatneck

I understand Hury is to be open year round from the 17th! This is good news as far as I'm concerned...

noddy299

It is. If they can get it opened on the 17th. Snow is predicted again. Hopefully not though.

tacfly

Yes, the all year option sounds good, as long as we have some decent weather.

Last edited:

noddy299

That's it official! Another weekend's plans are no more. Just hope the poachers aren't filling their boots too much! Every time I walk the pooch around Hury I find powerbait and mouse tails and that is in the closed seasons. Now it's fully stocked they will be hammering it. Along with the cormorants of course.

Noddy

noddy299

Tomorrow is the day! Finally going to put my faith in the weather man. Meant to be cold but relatively calm and dry. We will see.

Anyone else making the trip?

Noddy

Hi,

Am I correct that you purchase a day ticket for Hury through a vending machine in the car park?
Does it accept notes, card or do I need to save all my pound coins?

Cheers.

noel

If I remember correctly your day ticket needs to be purchased at Grassholme or online.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

noddy299

There's a "fishing lodge" you pay in cash. Pop it in an envelope and put it through the hole in the wall. Keep hold of the white slip, the rangers come round and sign them fairly regular.

Noddy

Latest posts