Ide in the UK

T_James

I've been doing research on ide and have seen that they're established in the north of England.

Does anyone fish for them? I really enjoy fly fishing for coarse fish and these are a bucket list fish for me.

wobbly face

Lymm Anglers use to have Ide in at least one of their waters, can't remember the name as not been a member for over 20 years. Might have been at Sandbach, Cheshire. They had 2 ponds but one went commercial and got dug much bigger by the landowner.

T_James

There are established population in Yorkshire, a member of the Facebook group Flyfishing for Coarse posted a fly caught ide from that region.

Regarding Youtube videos, I saw a great one from Lithuania featuring two guys fly fishing for crucian carp! It was professional grade - not some mobile phone stitch together!

speytime

That reminds of a pond near me with course fish in it ide being one species as well as carp and rudd, there stocked but it's somewhere I'd overlooked in local waters, if there hard fighting I'd have a go at them.
I suspect they won't be comparable with a trout lb for lb?

Al

Jason 70

Tim,

If they are Orfe as Paul B mentions in a few posts above, a couple of lakes in the Newdigate area of Surrey have the Golden variety and they go to about 7lbs. I'm not sure they allow fly fishing though?

T_James

The name ide and orfe refer to the same fish. The golden variety is gorgeous!

Oldbones

On this subject, there is ide, in Aboyne Loch in Aberdeenshire, a few miles west of Banchory. I have fished there for pike, and perch and people do fish for ide there, I know your in London and its a long way, but for others reading this it might be what they are looking for.
Also a bit further west is a place, called Tulloch fishery, really nice loch with rainbows, and there is some wild brown trout in there as the water feed is from a hill loch above Tulloch fishery.

smallmouth

A lot of commercial fisheries stock Ide, I had up to sixty odd pounds of them fishing shallow on the pole when I fished in matches.

Inevitably some escape in floods and do OK in rivers, I caught odd ones in matches on the lower reaches of the River Calder in West Yorkshire. Also caught a hefty one on Southfield Reservoir, which is connected to the Aire & Calder canal.

They can be quite predatory and snatch at moving prey, plus they like to feed in the upper layers, so probably fairly straightforward to fly fish for them.

bibio1st

Used to catch the odd one or two at a pool near Congleton, came in like wet blankets, for a fish of a couple of pounds or so they didn’t put up much of a fight.

Steve

William Hurst

Go on utube fly times fly fishing for ide they are fishing a river sand catching plenty and the chub one there on a small river/drain plenty of chub the only problem is it's in a foreign language but breaks up the day