"If it aint broke.................."

micka

The old adage that if something isn't broke (i.e. it's functioning fine) then don't try and fix it certainly rings true with regard to Fulling Mill World Class Flurocarbon V2. Having exhausted my spools of 3 and 4lb FMWCF I bought two new spools to discover they were a "Version 2." Yes the original would have been shunned by competition anglers for it's relatively large diameter but it served me well in so many contexts, especially for Tenkara tippet and for nymphing for grayling. It was reliable, I liked it's relative stiffness, it knotted well and never kinked. The new V2 stuff is dreadful and is the opposite of all the virtues I've listed for the original. It's 'raison d'être' is to pigtail almost as you look at it. For a small diminution of diameter Full Mill have replaced a reliable 'friend' for something I will never use again. Any suggestions as to what I might turn to when I'm not using copolymer would be gratefully received please.

Mick

original cormorant

The old adage that if something isn't broke (i.e. it's functioning fine) then don't try and fix it certainly rings true with regard to Fulling Mill World Class Flurocarbon V2. Having exhausted my spools of 3 and 4lb FMWCF I bought two new spools to discover they were a "Version 2." Yes the original would have been shunned by competition anglers for it's relatively large diameter but it served me well in so many contexts, especially for Tenkara tippet and for nymphing for grayling. It was reliable, I liked it's relative stiffness, it knotted well and never kinked. The new V2 stuff is dreadful and is the opposite of all the virtues I've listed for the original. It's 'raison d'être' is to pigtail almost as you look at it. For a small diminution of diameter Full Mill have replaced a reliable 'friend' for something I will never use again. Any suggestions as to what I might turn to when I'm not using copolymer would be gratefully received please.

Mick
I've used the airflo sightfree and an italian brand (can't remember name but not marketed as a fly fishing product) as direct replacements for FMWC but also use Grand Max for softer and finer.

Scotty Mitchell

I don't have any problems with Airflo G3, but don't use a lot of it. I use 0.13, 0.14 & 0.18mm.
Some folk say it is bad for memory, they maybe use more of it and for different applications, but I can't say I've noticed this in Many years of using it.

Mies

Just great :(

I recently picked up a couple of spools of this 'V2' assuming that it was the same as the original. As Mick said, I liked it for it's relative stiffness for pulling wets. As I've a days seatrout/salmon fishing planned for this Tuesday, it looks like I'll have to pop into the local tackle shop for a suitable alternative. Don't fancy a day fekking about with 'pigtailed' casts or losing a decent fish.

FFS!

Gdog

+1 ^

I've been using G3 for many years, in everything from 3 lb to 10 lb, for various applications.

Col

I've found that G3 is a good product in terms of strength and reliability, but it tangles more easily, than say Maxima or the original Fulling Mill fluorocarbon. Once G3 tangles, it's time to tie up a new leader.
I've not tried the new FM fluorcarbon yet.

Cap'n Fishy

I've found that G3 is a good product in terms of strength and reliability, but it tangles more easily, than say Maxima or the original Fulling Mill fluorocarbon. Once G3 tangles, it's time to tie up a new leader.
I've not tried the new FM fluorcarbon yet.
Oddly enough, I find that, because it is so wiry, G3 is less prone to tangling than softer materials, such as Maxima! 😜

Col

Last edited:

micka

Thank you for all the replies - I've just ordered some Maxcatch in 3lb and Airflo in 4lb and I'm going to pop into my local coarse shop to see what they have - so some interesting trials lie ahead.

Mick

muddlaminno

This is what i have heard and it may be worth a try. I can't speak from personal experience because I don't use the World Class.

Apparently the problem with the V2 is that it becomes stressed/deformed/weakened as it is pulled off the spool against the overly sturdy rubber band. Take the rubber band off, use something else - do the spools have a clip as well? - and the material itself is good. And yes, I'm told that Fulling Mill will sort this out for future stock.