I'm looking for advice on getting a sprocker.

The Barbless Crook.

The price of those dogs are eye watering. My daughter bought one for £400 twelve months ago. Iv'e trained him over the last 6months for the gun, but at the moment I don't think he will be any good. Looking at the prices of those dogs and trained for the gun you will have to pay 5-7k.

T.B.C.

BobP

The price of those dogs are eye watering. My daughter bought one for £400 twelve months ago. Iv'e trained him over the last 6months for the gun, but at the moment I don't think he will be any good. Looking at the prices of those dogs and trained for the gun you will have to pay 5-7k.

T.B.C.
Why do you think he won't be any good?

smallmouth

Madness, over £2k for a mongrel
Corona madness...........puppies seem nearly as popular as bikes at the moment and it’s a sellers market.

My daughter recently lost her 7 year old chihuahua to tracheal collapse, so I’ve been researching a more robust small dog for her, for when the time is right.

But at the moment, breeders are selling litters of crossbred russell type terriers, or bizarre mongrel mixes of toy breeds, for the thick end of twelve hundred quid.

The Barbless Crook.

It's the cocker in him Bob. He is about 90% there, but as a peg dog you will have to watch him like a hawk. Beating and picking up, swims like a fish, retrieves to hand well, but if confronted with a runner or a flush of birds just will not stop, hence the cocker. Work in progress.

T.B.C

corto maltese

Thank you all for your input and advice.
It seems like the end of August would be a bad time to try and find a dog for my wife.
To recap.
It's a seller's market on the UK right now so dogs are very expensive and to find a gun trained dog at such short notice and also not being connected to the hunting fraternity and living so far away would make it all but impossible to make it happen.
Thank you all for your help and advice anyway, I really do appreciate it.
I have to have a rethink.

delray

Pal of mine who works his Labs has just ordered a (accidental, allegedly) Sprocker. Farm bred dog, my pal knows the guy well and a randy springer got in where he shouldn't have been able to.
Here's the rub; £2000 for the pups, and they've all been 'booked'. Covid madness? Don't know, but the guys I know who shoot rate the Sprocker above both the component parts, or it's just plain fashionable.
I lost one of my (pet) dogs recently, we're in no hurry to buy, there'll be plenty looking for homes come next Feb or so, very very sadly.

smallmouth

we're in no hurry to buy, there'll be plenty looking for homes come next Feb or so, very very sadly
Our local news programme had a item about similar concerns voiced by The Dogs Trust, the message being "a dog is for life, not just for lockdown"................

My wife had a look at the reviews of what seems to be main site used by sellers. It seems that various scams are on the increase, desperate buyers paying bank transfer deposits to unknown con artists, to reserve puppies that they haven't viewed and don't actually exist, (other than as photos lifted from elsewhere).

matt808

Can't go wrong with a cocker or spaniel in general. They're eager to please dogs, you don't need a gun trained spaniel if you're not going shooting.
They love agility, ours can run up or down anything, she's 9 now and still runs all day if she gets the chance.