Important to you.

cappi

Live high up in the French Huates Pyrenees Mountai
I'm sure that there is many things that are important to an individual angler. Just to get a feel for this I listed some of the well stated ones.

Put your top 4 in order of importance to you personally

1. The size of fish (ie the bigger the better)
2. The quantity caught (ie the more the better)
3. The method
4. The surroundings (ie the beauty of the location)
5. The nature (ie, the Fauna and Flora, wild animals, flowers, etc)
6. The solitude (fishing an upland burn in splendid isolation)
7. The comradeship/companionship (ie Sharing banter in a boat)
8. Total escapism from real life
9. The joy of seeing the swirl to your fly
10 The joy of the pull/tug
11. The anticipation of the take (whether or not you catch anything)
12. The connection after the take
13. Playing the fish
14. Successfully landing the fish
15. Wild Fish
16. Rainbows
17 Grayling
18. Running water
19. Still Waters
20. Not fishing much but participating a lot on this forum
21. Any Others.

The above, just to mention a few, feel free to add more. Any comments welcome as to your preferences.

Douglas
5,6,15,18 and a beer on the river bank after finishing over 7% strength

diawl bach

Being able to get out to enjoy fishing has become top of the chart for me, the only thing that's stopped me before was a bad smash.

Makes you realise how important it is for anglers to have good representation, legislation can seriously damage your sport.

sightbob

I no longer fish for the table and unless its a must
for comps I dont kill fish. If i can fight a fish and it falls off
before handling all the better.

eddleston123

I like no 9 'the swirl to the fly'

Also no 11. 'the anticipation of the take' I can fish all day without any rises, but my whole body is on full alert, cause I have the confidence that a fish is going to make a 'mistake' at some stage.

Although not mentioned in my initial list, I do also enjoy when I see my line indicator stop, and I lift into the familiar bump bump of a big Lady of the Stream.

No takers for no 20 yet!

Douglas

JohnH

From Douglas' original list the principal 2 for me are 4/5 (not sure I can detect any difference between these, am I missing something ?), and 10. My additions would be quality of the fish that are there to be targeted, and variety in my fishing.

speytime

In anticipation of a take, there's times I'm fishing away in a world of my own, total concentration on the flies anticipating a take...
My phone rings and vibrates and I near sh1t myself!, I've been caught with it numerous times 😂

Al

smallmouth

3 - Surely method is the main thing for all fly fisherman? But also in coarse fishing for me. There are methods I don't enjoy and some I would never employ.

21 - Tying and using my own flies. The same feeling as when I was a young match angler in the days when you had to adapt or make a lot of tackle in order for it to be up to scratch.

4 - I don't just mean scenic upland places, though that's my preference locally. Most waterside locations have their own attraction for me.

5 - Goes hand in hand with the above.

In coarse match angling 7 was a significant part of the attraction for me and I've made some good friends in the sport. In fly fishing, the reverse proved to be the case for me and so 6 is very much my preference.