Improving my casting distance.

sailingval

I might regret asking this question.

Would a different type of floating line enable me to cast further? If so what type/make. It is on a 20 acre still water lake.
I use a Hardy jet 9'6" #6 rod and a Mike Evans arrowhead trout twin line. I am not sure they are still being made; so I would be looking at future replacements. I can get a reasonable distance but just wondering if that could be improved.

I know someone will say get get a casting lesson or it will have something to do with the rod - change the rod. I don't want to do either; so am just wondering would a different type of line help. Please keep answers simple and not to full of tech speak.

I am probably being silly but it worth asking.

PaulD

Would a different type of floating line enable me to cast further?

It's not a silly question but not usually.

The real questions are - How far do you cast now with the rod / line you're using? How much further do you need to be able to cast and why?

How far you are able to cast is fundamentally about your casting stroke - your ability to track straight, your ability to maintain line tension during the stroke, use an appropriate stroke length, stop and pause as distance increases and an efficient double haul that reflects the amount of line outside the rod tip.

If all that's OK and you're able to hold 50 to 55ft of line in the air in an efficient loop then maybe, investigating a new line might be worthwhile.

arkle

Val, I had a friend who used the M/E lines & found them brilliant & as I remember they were #6's. You don't mention what leader set-up you're using ? Another friend, who'se an instructor on BWW's uses Orvis, Helios 9' #4's & can cast a full line, even in a stiff breeze. To do this he rarely uses more than 1 dropper & the leader length is the same as the rod & untapered co-polymer of around .20/22 thickness

running bear

If you don’t want to pursue a lesson, I’d say you don’t really want to improve. It might sound harsh, but a lesson with a good instructor is always the best fix. Cheaper than many fly lines also.

I always find it really strange that in many sports, only the absolute beginner and the elite level believe in the benefit of qualified coaching. If you play golf for example, look at teaching pros, they spend their time coaching 24 handicappers and scratch golfers, very little in between.

I don’t consider myself elite by any means, nor do I believe casting is the be all and end all, but when lockdown ends I’ll be starting the new season with a few lessons, and I can chuck a single hander to the backing and then some, and a double hander 50+ yards if needed...because I’ve had lessons!

icejohn

When you ask the question sounds like you expecting to add 10 m plus to your existing cast. A slightly dif fly line will not give you that.

If you are then wanting 10m extra .....get a stronger rod than a 6'wt. More like 8-9 wt. Am sure people will disagree with me but all my distance casting rods are those weights. Use amnesia backing 30lb etc shooting head, so it flies out.

Last ingredient= strength and determination aim to try break the rod ie put in some serious effort etc.

Guy who taught me, His claim he had only broken 5 rods in the last 2 years!.

But I came to conclusion that Yes distance on bank lakes fishing is useful but fishing with heavy 9 wt lines you loose the "feel" of fly fishing if that makes sence and takes some of the fun or fight away. Be careful what u wish for in this situation is very true.

sailingval

If you don’t want to pursue a lesson, I’d say you don’t really want to improve. It might sound harsh, but a lesson with a good instructor is always the best fix. Cheaper than many fly lines also.

I always find it really strange that in many sports, only the absolute beginner and the elite level believe in the benefit of qualified coaching. If you play golf for example, look at teaching pros, they spend their time coaching 24 handicappers and scratch golfers, very little in between.

I don’t consider myself elite by any means, nor do I believe casting is the be all and end all, but when lockdown ends I’ll be starting the new season with a few lessons, and I can chuck a single hander to the backing and then some, and a double hander 50+ yards if needed...because I’ve had lessons!

Yes I know I should go for another lesson but now is not the time!
I am neither a beginner nor at an elite level and my question was more of a 'wondering', would a different line make any difference. I knew I might regret asking!!!!

sailingval

When you ask the question sounds like you expecting to add 10 m plus to your existing cast. A slightly dif fly line will not give you that.

If you are then wanting 10m extra .....get a stronger rod than a 6'wt. More like 8-9 wt. Am sure people will disagree with me but all my distance casting rods are those weights. Use amnesia backing 30lb etc shooting head, so it flies out.

Last ingredient= strength and determination aim to try break the rod ie put in some serious effort etc.

Guy who taught me, His claim he had only broken 5 rods in the last 2 years!.

But I came to conclusion that Yes distance on bank lakes fishing is useful but fishing with heavy 9 wt lines you loose the "feel" of fly fishing if that makes sence and takes some of the fun or fight away. Be careful what u wish for in this situation is very true.

I have just come down from a 10' #7 which I was finding was not helping my neck. You have mentioned shooting heads and I that was what was prompting my question. Not sure exactly what a shooting head has over the line I usually use and therefore would it give me any extra distance.

sailingval

Val, I had a friend who used the M/E lines & found them brilliant & as I remember they were #6's. You don't mention what leader set-up you're using ? Another friend, who'se an instructor on BWW's uses Orvis, Helios 9' #4's & can cast a full line, even in a stiff breeze. To do this he rarely uses more than 1 dropper & the leader length is the same as the rod & untapered co-polymer of around .20/22 thickness

My leader is usually 12 - 14' #8 straight through leader which usually works. Obviously not what I would use on a river. I usually only have one dropper as I can get in enough of a muddle with that.

Paul_B

You could try a heavier line and see if that helps the rod to work a bit better, I have a 6# that performs much better with a 7# line.
Maxcatch do them cheap enough to buy and try, unless you know someone who would let you try a heavier line.
Its worth remembering that the arm muscle is stronger than a shoulder and by practising and prioritising the arm muscle this should stop neck problems, hopefully.

arkle

Val, been there with leaders like that & longer... they give a LOT of extra wind resistance, which in turn, will reduce the distance you are able to cast & potentially make presentation "splashy" if you've not got the timing millisecond perfect, especially when wind direction &/or speed fluctuates.

noel

Val have you looked at a Single Hand Spey line , from Maxcatch £10.81 delivered and have a look at Andrew Toft on YouTube.

Last edited:

sailingval

You could try a heavier line and see if that helps the rod to work a bit better, I have a 6# that performs much better with a 7# line.
Maxcatch do them cheap enough to buy and try, unless you know someone who would let you try a heavier line.
Its worth remembering that the arm muscle is stronger than a shoulder and by practising and prioritising the arm muscle this should stop neck problems, hopefully.

I do actually use a #7 line.

dodders

The new line will probably make negligable difference if your technique is not good, No-one starts off with a good distance casting technique, practice makes perfect.
There are two options in my opinion, get a good book such as one of Lefty Kreh's and follow it step by step, practicing on grass rather than trying to do it whilst fishing. Plenty of good stuff on youtube as well, or I would recommend the Orvis (USA) site.
Alternatively get some lessons. The first method will work if you follow it step by step and practice on grass

ohanzee

As with all things distance its not really possible(for me anyway) to suggest without a number, the answer is very different below 80' and above.

The Evans line is an arrow head, designed for distance and pretty respected for it, so I don't see much improvement to be made there, 'distance' lines have longer heads and let you carry more line in the air, so if you can cope with a longer cast, feeding more out in a false cast etc, you may be able to eek a bit more but with the downside of needing more back cast space and a longer back cast etc. I wouldn't expect much from that, a longer head is only of use if you can use it sort of thing.

I may be wrong but I think the Hardy Jet is a bendy old beast, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable increasing distance with that, it will get harder to control as you up the weight of more line in the air, you may just end up with more bend in the rod as it reaches its limits.

There are very simple things that take no effort, no one listens though, for example lubing your line will instantly add 10' if you do it often, but as always casting further is really just a by product of being able to control more line, with control you can look at hauling more effectively, slipping line into the back cast and so on.

Best tip maybe is just make the cast bigger, lengthen the stroke, and the haul and you can control more line.

fishing hobo

Would a different type of floating line enable me to cast further? If so what type/make. It is on a 20 acre still water lake.
I use a Hardy jet 9'6" #6 rod and a Mike Evans arrowhead trout twin line. I am not sure they are still being made; so I would be looking at future replacements. I can get a reasonable distance but just wondering if that could be improved.

I know someone will say get get a casting lesson or it will have something to do with the rod - change the rod. I don't want to do either; so am just wondering would a different type of line help. Please keep answers simple and not to full of tech speak.

I am probably being silly but it worth asking.
What distance can you cast? Can you cast with tight loops? Can you double haul effectively? Most people who I see at stillwater casting make whipping noises casting using so much effort to try and get line out and they reckon they can cast... I honestly met only a few who I can say could genuinely cast well and wouldn't mind being taught by. Video only gets you so far. You said you don't want to get lessons, I think this is a big mistake. It is the shortest and probably the cheapest route to improving, of course you need to practice what you are taught.

original cormorant

10 metres is 33 ft, I doubt that this is the expectation.
You are right that people will disagree with you.

original cormorant

I'd also note that the Michael Evans line is almost certainly quite aged (not sure when they were last made) and unless it has been lightly used and well cared for it's likely to be past its best.

easker1

I use 5WT with a wf6 inter, I tried a Wulff triangle taper it was terrible (for Me)My advice would be go back to where you thought you were making a nice cast, forget about distance just now, start from there , and as you go analyse your actions, slowly build up from there, don't try to power the rod too much just ease into it, distance isn't always every thing , presentation is just as important, some times you find yourself doing too many false casts, try and cut it to no more than 2 , hope that is of help to you, easker1

fishing hobo

I use 5WT with a wf6 inter, I tried a Wulff triangle taper it was terrible (for Me)My advice would be go back to where you thought you were making a nice cast, forget about distance just now, start from there , and as you go analyse your actions, slowly build up from there, don't try to power the rod too much just ease into it, distance isn't always every thing , presentation is just as important, some times you find yourself doing too many false casts, try and cut it to no more than 2 , hope that is of help to you, easker1
Wulff triangle taper takes getting used to. I hated how clunky the line cast compared to gt90. I have used it more frequently this year and now I seem to have gotten used to it.

Mr Notherone

I think you could spend a lot of time and money looking for the line that will miraculously cast notably further by changing nothing else. If you do, please share it.

I suspect your answer lays somewhere other than a new line. Good luck.