Ingredients of a successful fishery!

Wee Jimmy

Occasionally when hungry, salt and lemon, smoked in the pan with a bit of heather (y)
Yeah I don't mind the odd one but I'm not really a fan.Its better than a plate of woodpulp and thistles but only just..;)

ohanzee

Yeah I don't mind the odd one but I'm not really a fan.Its better than a plate of woodpulp and thistles but only just..;)
I'm not a fan of cooked trout but...outdoors and hungry, a couple of smaller trout from the margins, salted and partially smoked, hold the tail and wiggle the spine out with bones attached as its cooking, char the skin to a crisp with some salt and burn water in the pan, tastes like fried smoked salmon, then again if you cook your rod bag this way it would taste great :D

BobP

My club (South East) has several trout waters rented from various landowners, their biggest fear is that the carp boys will nick their waters because they're prepared to pay far more than we are.
Carp are very much more expensive than trout and the bigger they are the more they cost. Precious few carp boys would be happy to sit there and catch a netful of 2lb carp. They are interested in 20-30lb fish and they cost well into 4 figures. They don't grow as fast as trout either so it could take 10 years for that 2lb fish to become a 20lb fish assuming it lives that long. For such a hefty fish they don't take all that kindly to being caught often,

wobbly face

Loads of punters.
It's very difficult running a small commercial trout fishery, I got to know a few and their problems. First thing: Fishermen are never happy. Second: You cannot please everyone. Pampering to individuals is expensive as they all want different. The hours are very long in the summer, you also have to be there when no else is there, just in case! Then it gets tedious. It's a fine balance, over stock and the fish get stunted and condition deteriorate. Understock and no one catches. Then how often do you stock? Not enough fresh fish and no one catches, stock too often then back to over stocking. What size of fish? Too big costs money so fewer fish. Too small and fishermen complain. Then you have to work to biomass per acre, how much natural feed in the place.
Then do you have a garden type fishery? Seats and picnic benches. There can be a lot work involved besides the fishing.
I know of 5 trout fisheries that have either closed or changed to coarse only, two others that I don't know if still up and running.

cgaines10

Depends on your cliental, some like the challenge of grown on overwintered fish which can be tricky to catch so becomes a real challenge, but you are reward with a greater fight. Then others see it as a d1ck measuring contest on how many they have chapped that day.

Each to their own.

JayP

There was a thread on this before, from memory: a clean toilet, well stocked, I think 'fully finned' and 'overwintered' was in there, and bacon rolls.

Basically a cafe with trout :)

For me, as natural as possible, no toilet, or people, I want at least the illusion of wild.
Give me an upland llyn or loch over a small stocked stillwater any day, my local, Grafham water does have a bit of a wild feel to it and does a great job at filling the gap this year.

Scotty Mitchell

The successful fisheries round here are the ones who flood social media with videos of massive fish going in frequently.
My old man has ran a couple of fairly busy boat fisheries, his schtik was a friendly welcome and a bacon roll and brew, no massive fish just decent quality. Worked for him and he’s now retired totally, he did more than alright out of it.

Wee Jimmy

The successful fisheries round here are the ones who flood social media with videos of massive fish going in frequently.
My old man has ran a couple of fairly busy boat fisheries, his schtik was a friendly welcome and a bacon roll and brew, no massive fish just decent quality. Worked for him and he’s now retired totally, he did more than alright out of it.
I always enjoyed my days on Lindores Scotty,your old man and his staff did a great job..😉👍

campsiefisher

I think it was Glensherrup where we had such a welcoming bacon roll and cuppa, never visited Lindores, but you're right, a good welcoming goes a long way.

I've often heard anglers turn up at fisheries and while looking over the flies for sale will ask "What's catching ?" and the proprietor will say "Diawl bachs and crunchers are taking fish", and the anglers reply, "Oh ok, gimme two yellow dancers !" :eek:

If you're not going to listen to guy running the place you'd be as well staying in the house.

Best regards
Jim

anzac

It's just an opinion, but I think most of us want to fish someplace that is accessible (to get to and to get round), has a 'good water', active fishing, and natural setting. Add in good amenities (cafe, shop, and loos) and reasonable tariffs and you're good to go. An added draw might be some on-site camping sites, and some Comps to attract more distantly located anglers.

Whatever, a business needs good word of mouth advertising along with an internet presence, especially these days.

taffy1

Some other ingredients I would add, from a fishery owner's point of view, is knowing what the regular customers prefer, size & quality of fish, hospitality, surroundings & amenities available & then to price accordingly. Not an easy task by any means. After all, one man's meat & all that.

Latest posts