Interesting photo

pentlandflyman

took this using my new phone camera (s20 ultra) and was fascinated at the colours on my cats tail, the photo makes her fur look almost mosaic like and I wonder if the fish see this, and do you get the same effect with dyed fur ? I don't have any to check but I doubt it would look like that. 20200815_135920.jpg

smallmouth

*I don't use my cats fur to tie flies!
I do. She was my wife’s cat when we got married , but switched her affections to me when she realised I had a much more meat based diet.

A black mongrel persian who loved being brushed, her underfur was a soft browny dark grey, so I used to put the combings in a plastic ziplock bag. Thirty years on I’m still using it, (sparingly these days).

She loved king prawn curry and I’d swap her a king prawn for a snip of the long outer fur for lures. I tied a modified Bob Church Goldie with one batch, with a wing of black cat hair over yellow marabou. It did quite well one day on a swampy lake in Vermont, fishing for smallmouth bass from a boat.

From a distance she was a black long haired cat. But up close, especially sprawled on my knee in the sun, her coat was a multitude of colours, as you say much richer than dyed fur.

She must’ve been pushing twenty when she died.

RIP Harriett.....gourmet of spicy food and provider of dubbing and winging fur, (plus occasional bonus starling hackles.....)

bobmiddlepoint

Get a powerful magnifying glass/low power microscope and the hair won't look anything like that.
The colours you are seeing are the result poor focus. You can see the same sort of thing with any hair/fibre and out of focus close ups.
There might also be an element of diffraction going. Hold any reasonably thin feather close to your eye and look at a light bulb (a lit one...) through it and diffraction will give you the full rainbow of colours. However this doesn't mean a fly tied with the same feather looks like it is all the colours of the rainbow...

Andy

pentlandflyman

I put it up because I was fascinated by the difference between natural and dyed hair, I got no mosaic effect with the dyed stuff. It was a cropped section (100 x zoom) of a crystal clear photo of my cat, it wasn't an out of focus close up. I was more interested if the fish would pick up on these colours in natural materials.
Get a powerful magnifying glass/low power microscope and the hair won't look anything like that.
The colours you are seeing are the result poor focus. You can see the same sort of thing with any hair/fibre and out of focus close ups.
There might also be an element of diffraction going. Hold any reasonably thin feather close to your eye and look at a light bulb (a lit one...) through it and diffraction will give you the full rainbow of colours. However this doesn't mean a fly tied with the same feather looks like it is all the colours of the rainbow...

Andy

vandiemen

*I don't use my cats fur to tie flies!

Just fascinated at the colours in natural materials compared to dyed, she's not having chunks cut off her...no matter how tempted I am after seeing this 😂
We used to have a British Blue cat. When we brushed him, we got lots of nice blue/grey fur for tying flies, and plenty of long guard hair for tails

pentlandflyman

One good brush of my other grey cat would give me and a few pals a lifetime supply of dubbing. I don't know why I've never used it before.
We used to have a British Blue cat. When we brushed him, we got lots of nice blue/grey fur for tying flies, and plenty of long guard hair for tails

pentlandflyman

OK... do fish have 100 x zoom eyesight?
You tell me, does anyone know exactly what a fish see's ? Like I said I was fascinated by the colours on natural materials and wondered if fish would pick them up, I didn't think I had a magic cat with a coat of mystical colours professor kodak.

Do you go about telling kids santa isn't real as well ?

Latest posts