Interesting underwater sea trout film

seanie

Great vids,:cool:But Liam was right no C & R, typical *******:rolleyes:

Irish Dane

Just for info, these are actually danish productions. There are 4 vids in all, basically called The secrets of the seatrout.

Throughout the videos, you see that the majority of the fish are actually returned. The legal limit here is 50cm and they must be silver with loose scales if they are to be kept.

You also have to understand that over in Denmark, the seatrout is not so rare as to need an outright C&R policy...there are plenty of fish in the sea so to speak so taking a few for the table is not a problem at all.

The Danes are also very good at managing the spawning rivers, with electro fishing and harvesting of eggs and milt carried out on most.

There is a very good DVD which will play in english called 'sea trout angler on fyn' (  | visitfyn.com ) which might interest some of you? Unfortunately the other 'secrets of the seatrout' series doesn't come in english, but it's still well worth a watch!

Dave

hobble

Banned
Banned
you see dave the same argument was given about the cod fishing, dont bother using c&r , their is plenty, same with the salmon, and the eels,
sea trout is no differant, you get anglers coming here thinking they can take as much as they want,

great video im sure, well edited to look good, but a big let down in the c&r dept

The Dibbler

I've been over in Funen in Denmark Liam. Was given the full tour by the Danish Authorities. I've seen their operation first hand. The spawning and rehabilitation works, obstruction bypasses and the best one..... the Danish Anglers actually bringing large brood fish to the hatcheries and put them down shoots with the river names on them.

Only I seen it I wouldn't believe it! There are a lot of trophy fish in the salt out there and also great gar fish

Irish Dane

Liam, perhaps you're being a 'little' OTT there mate?;)

Are you seriously suggesting that angling pressure contributed to the reduction in the cod stocks!!! (I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that it was a result of technological advancement in trawlers, inadequate regulation in terms of spawning grounds/spawning times, and illegal trawling)?

If you really feel that fish stocks are so endangered that anglers taking an occasional one home to eat is going to wipe them out, then to me this suggests we shouldn't really be angling at all....I mean what if the fish takes the fly too deep and cant it cant be relased, it might wipe out the entire species!!;)

Dave

d_j_vass

Banned
Banned
That's it I'm moving to Denmark. Whose side were they on during the war ?

ballthebuilder

Looks to me by what I've heard and seen, that the Danes have got this fishing lark well and truly sussed on all levels.....Maybe we should grab a handful of leaves out of their book.
Dave

roeangler

Outstanding

To me those videos are brilliant filming sea trout in the sea and seeing them in there natural enviroment not to mention the sandeels and garfish it must have taken ages to get enough footage even for those short clips.

yorkshirelad15

you see dave the same argument was given about the cod fishing, dont bother using c&r , their is plenty, same with the salmon, and the eels,
sea trout is no differant, you get anglers coming here thinking they can take as much as they want,

great video im sure, well edited to look good, but a big let down in the c&r dept

Just because all the fishing over here is screwed up doesn't mean we can have a go at people, in countries where the water's been looked after better and has healthier stocks, for taking a few fish which their waters can sustain.

It was commercial trawlers that raped the cod stocks, not rod and line anglers... their effect is... as a general rule... negligable :confused: :rolleyes:

ultimately if you reaaally can't take it when a fish gets chapped, you're in the wrong sport pal...

steveparton

Trade Member
Now I like your Danes and although 'Officially Neutral' and effectively occupied ( but practically very pro Ally) in the last War - as we'd likely have been with a quisling type government and the place shot thru with agents and the like.

I am pro and con - the Seatrout they have majored on with massive hatchery operations and releases of smolts into the Baltic ( lessening these days I suspect ) which has developed a very significant fishery and I have even caught a few on occasional trips .

Never , however , forget that this is the nation that pioneered and still continues to rape the Northern Atlantic Seas for Sandeel which it then uses to burn in Power Stations and Generates Electricity with.

An interesting lot the Danes - a piquant combination of Puritans and Outright Pirates !

I have lots of Danish friends !

Steve P

Irish Dane

Never , however , forget that this is the nation that pioneered and still continues to rape the Northern Atlantic Seas for Sandeel which it then uses to burn in Power Stations and Generates Electricity with.

Wow....love to hear more about sandeel burning power plants....

I actually work for DONG energy (unfortunate name ;) but stands for Danish oil and Natural Gas) and I have never heard of any sandeel buring plants....is it a practice that is on-going or something from the past? DONG effectively provide all the electricity to Denmark. At present they have a major incentive to reduce their CO2 output by 70% in the next 20 years through a push for energy generated from renewable sources (wind, biomass etc.)...the impression I have is that the company is highly environmentally concious and the sandeel burning seems not to fit the image. Wonder if sandeels are CO2 friendly?

I would be genuinely interested to know where your information comes from?

Dave

Last edited:

JRT

I know they are the largest producer of fishmeal and fish pellets produced from Sandeels and whitebait (we traded our quotas with them so the UK is not blameless!). It takes 3kg of fishmeal to produce 1kg of farmed fish.

Burning sandeels? I doubt it.