Introduction to the forum!

WelshSean123

Good evening guys!
my names Sean & I’ve recently moved to the Kingston Lisle area close to Wantage. I’m not new to fly fishing but pretty inexperienced.
mom originally from wales and when my mates used to holiday abroad me and the old man would pack up the car and go camping next to a stretch of river where my old man grew up.
I started course fishing and was bought a fly fishing kit for my birthday at a young age (about 10 years old)
I was hooked from then but had very little idea of what I was doing, I practiced and actually caught a few wild fish when away with the old man.
however the normal teenage years got in the way and then work as I left school👎
I got very distracted by work and forgot that hobbies do exist! So I’ve recently bought a new rod and I am looking to start going fishing again and learning abit more water craft and the actual skill involved.
I still need some kit and could do with some pointers on getting started.
unfortunately not being from the area I am clueless to what’s around, is there anyone from a similar area that could offer some advice? Anything is greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

delray

Hi Sean, you are very welcome, but I have to admit my ignorance and checked where Wantage is. I suspect a nice part of the world.
Somewhere near you is Fairford and the River Colne and I believe a day ticket stretch was administered by The Bull Pub in town. I have fished it once, many years ago now and had a lovely day; now wondering why I never went back. I took a guided day at that time with a fella called Jim Williams, but not sure if he's still 'active'. Great bloke, a top angler and though it's a good few quid, you'll learn so much in a day, it'll set you up.
That's a starter, and I believe there's a few guys from that area on here and I'm sure they'll be along at some stage with some advice.
All the best,
Del

Mrtrout

Welcome Sean, you’ll get some good advice on here I’m sure.
Best to let us know just what kind of fly fishing you intend to do, rivers or stillwaters and your needs and budget.
S.

BobP

I go through Wantage on my way to Farmoor which is an excellent reservoir fishery in the early season. Unbelievable buzzer hatches.

You could try Cotswold Fly Fishers for your river fishing. They have lots of water on the Coln, Windrush, Evenlode, Leach and others.

vital

Always good to help someone when it comes to fishing! As the previous replies suggest,
post a few lines about your budget, where you'd like to fish (river, stillwater, or both) and I'm sure the forumites will be all over it. Meanwhile, start watching YouTube and looking further into what rocks your boat the most!,
Regards and best wishes,

WelshSean123

Hi Sean, you are very welcome, but I have to admit my ignorance and checked where Wantage is. I suspect a nice part of the world.
Somewhere near you is Fairford and the River Colne and I believe a day ticket stretch was administered by The Bull Pub in town. I have fished it once, many years ago now and had a lovely day; now wondering why I never went back. I took a guided day at that time with a fella called Jim Williams, but not sure if he's still 'active'. Great bloke, a top angler and though it's a good few quid, you'll learn so much in a day, it'll set you up.
That's a starter, and I believe there's a few guys from that area on here and I'm sure they'll be along at some stage with some advice.
All the best,
Del
Hi Del! Thank you for your reply, that is something worth looking into as it’s not far from home, I’m looking for something I can do abit more regularly & make a thing of so that’s a brilliant shout.
thanks again. :)

WelshSean123

I go through Wantage on my way to Farmoor which is an excellent reservoir fishery in the early season. Unbelievable buzzer hatches.

You could try Cotswold Fly Fishers for your river fishing. They have lots of water on the Coln, Windrush, Evenlode, Leach and others.
I’m interested in Farmoor fishery looks brilliant! How often do you fish there?
thank you for the advice Bob, much appreciated.

WelshSean123

Sorry guys it seem I’ve left a few key details out! I am very interested in river fishing as I love the thought of visiting a river, matching the hatch or producing the best I can and moving my way along the river to see what I can get!
this is probably due to the fact that I have only every fly fished on a river & it sparked a massive interest since a young boy.
however I am open to trying both still and river waters.
I can’t quite put my finger on my budget as I have limited gear and limited knowledge as to where to go from here? I’m very keen to get back into fly fishing and keeping it a regular outing! So I guess it would depend on what’s needed and what advice I receive along the way.
I currently have a basic rod and real and a few flys... that’s about it so I’m starting fresh😄

Latest posts