Investments in fly fishing gear

Hardrar

I am seriously tempted to invest in the Hardy Trout Smuggler Set Hardy have collaborated with the Salmon and Trout Conservation trust
This collaboration marks Hardys support for their conservation efforts and a revenue contribution from each sale will go to the Salmon and Trout Conservation Trust (their vision, which is for healthier wild fish stocks, improved biodiversity and less pollution in our rivers)
Now the question is. Is this a good investment. I have never invested in fishing gear.
its a lot of money. However in a few years down the line its should gain not loss.
Or should i not?
I would redirect your funds to original Ari T Hart Reels in mint condition, original Steve Abel art reels and early Hardy Alnwick reels. These have all appreciated really well and continue to do so
Some Cane rods do well, but you need to do your homework and the early Smugglers have appreciated well and classic glass rods like Fenwicks T&T and some Hardy models, all early US made Eagle Claw glass rods are in huge demand
An old friend of mine bought a matching numbered set of five original Hardy Perfect reels plus a Super silex multiplier, for 瞿450 when they were released, I think they were all No 10 or 11 his Son sold them a few years back, they made, as a matched set over 50K, they were unused boxed.

Last edited:

haggstock

Surely the site sponsors Thomas Turner would be the best people to indicate if the OP could consider the Hardy Smuggler an investment ?

benisa

Would think Mr T would come and give us some Good Buys on fishing gear

I think he may have a few Gems that have been a good Investment;)

beetlebum

I would have thought that the aim with nice items of tackle is to not lose anything on them, that's as good as you could hope for. That's pretty good though no? You'd have it to take out and look at at the very least and maybe even enjoy fishing with it.

stevel

People are paying a lot of money for antique Hardy reels, American reels like Bogdans and cane rods by (mostly) American masters. The rest you may make modest money if you wait a long time, like decades. Some things like old American lures are incredibly valuable.
Of course they normally have to be in pristine condition, preferably unused, in their original boxes and cases. What shame though, to have never used incredible pieces of fishing equipment for some possible increase in value decades down the line which you may never see the fruit of?
Best to just buy tackle to enjoy and fish (and admire).

beetlebum

People are paying a lot of money for antique Hardy reels, American reels like Bogdans and cane rods by (mostly) American masters. The rest you may make modest money if you wait a long time, like decades. Some things like old American lures are incredibly valuable.
Of course they normally have to be in pristine condition, preferably unused, in their original boxes and cases. What shame though, to have never used incredible pieces of fishing equipment for some possible increase in value decades down the line which you may never see the fruit of?
Best to just buy tackle to enjoy and fish (and admire).
That sounds similar to the demand for some action figures that require them to be boxed and mint...how sad it must be for a toy to have never left the box!

original cormorant

There must be a word for the pleasure of owning. If you will get pleasure from owning a piece of premium kit and you can afford it go for it but don't expect a profit. Remember the saying about hoping your family don't sell your gear for what you said you paid for it - there may be a profit against that price.

ohanzee

Investment is probably the wrong word, perhaps offset the cost of expensive tackle? have something that is worth more than nothing down the line, a well looked after Sage XP would fetch maybe half it's value today, maybe more tomorrow, I see that as a pretty good investment even if the original price tag was a lot more than it is today when adjusted for inflation, it shows that quality is worth owning in good things, not much use in functionally average things in my opinion, classics are classics for a reason.

Dreams of making real money are probably just that, collectors might just make a bit but they put the work in and fear using things, but maybe with a bit of thought you can use quality all your fishing days and save/have more value than a cupboard full of worthless junk tackle by the end of that.

stevel

20 years ago I had a Winston obsession and had a large "collection" of their rods, but to use not invest.
When I moved into bamboo 10 years or so ago, I liquidated the collection, giving some away and selling the rest, on this forum or ebay.
I never received more than 瞿200 or so for each rod which was at least 3 times that new, despite being in immaculate condition. 10 years on those same rods are fetching much more, like 瞿500 but still not earth shattering gains, in fact still less than what I paid for them.

benisa

if you are buying to make a few bucks
the reel/rod what ever it is needs to stay unused
most mine have only seen day light when i purchased them and as some are one of limited number etc
think they are worth more today then when brought years ago

also better than keeping all that cash under the bed and it makes it easier to climb into the bed now with out all the Pie Mash under it:oops:

now everyone knows where i keep it

Vintage Badger

Investment is probably the wrong word, perhaps offset the cost of expensive tackle? have something that is worth more than nothing down the line, a well looked after Sage XP would fetch maybe half it's value today, maybe more tomorrow, I see that as a pretty good investment even if the original price tag was a lot more than it is today when adjusted for inflation, it shows that quality is worth owning in good things, not much use in functionally average things in my opinion, classics are classics for a reason.

Dreams of making real money are probably just that, collectors might just make a bit but they put the work in and fear using things, but maybe with a bit of thought you can use quality all your fishing days and save/have more value than a cupboard full of worthless junk tackle by the end of that.
It's not so much the quality of the item (although a premier branded name will usually retain more value than an economy one, but also cost more in the first place), it's the rod too. For example, I bought a 9' #7/8 Hardy Sovereign rod around 1990 and it cost me 瞿225, which is around 瞿450 at today's money values. It's now worth around 瞿150 as it's still in VGC. As I said above, in 2008 I bought a 9' 6" #6 Sage FLi, which cost me 瞿220, and the FLi is now being listed for more than that on eBay - around the equivalent of what I paid for it at today's money values.

So why the difference in price? The Sovereign was Hardy's top of the range rod at the time, ISTR the FLi was only one step up from Sage's bottom of the range at the time. Most likely it's because the FLi is seen as a more modern and usable rod, plus the fact that the cheapest new Sage rod now costs around 瞿500.

So a lot of factors come into play as to whether or not a rod will hold it's price over the years, and that's before you even get into the realms of the vagaries of the antiques and collectors market.

pati

It's not so much the quality of the item (although a premier branded name will usually retain more value than an economy one, but also cost more in the first place), it's the rod too. For example, I bought a 9' #7/8 Hardy Sovereign rod around 1990 and it cost me 瞿225, which is around 瞿450 at today's money values. It's now worth around 瞿150 as it's still in VGC. As I said above, in 2008 I bought a 9' 6" #6 Sage FLi, which cost me 瞿220, and the FLi is now being listed for more than that on eBay - around the equivalent of what I paid for it at today's money values.

So why the difference in price? The Sovereign was Hardy's top of the range rod at the time, ISTR the FLi was only one step up from Sage's bottom of the range at the time. Most likely it's because the FLi is seen as a more modern and usable rod, plus the fact that the cheapest new Sage rod now costs around 瞿500.

So a lot of factors come into play as to whether or not a rod will hold it's price over the years, and that's before you even get into the realms of the vagaries of the antiques and collectors market.
I wouldnt even give 50瞿 for a Fli, to my taste one of the ugliest and worst Sage rod ever ;-)!!! That said each to its own! Also be careful about Ebay prices lot of stuff never gets bought or is bought between insurance claim fraudsters at vastly inflated and imaginary prices to prove to PayPal the value of an item

for fishing collectible its all about limited edition, low serial number and name of the craftsman (rather than brand eg dingley Made Hardy perfect vs other Hardy perfect). I dont think these Smuggler set will retain or get much value unless they are numbered in the 1-10 or are anniversary limited editions

skajtrout

I bought a couple of the Limited edition Charles Jardine 3'1/8th wide spool perfects lovely things.I bought them as I was getting zero intrest in my Bank account.So just thought why not buy something that might give me a return. but in the meantime give me joy in ownership.

Jim

Oh dear God, I wish I hadnt just read that.

Skaj