Investments in fly fishing gear

tierradelfuego

Yeah it kinda depends on what you class as an investment I suppose... e.g. something like the old Orvis LA 3 spoke Vorsprung Durch Englische. I have a few mint from LA1 up to LA3, which I bought years ago for circa £60, prob now sell for £150 or more given the market conditions on ebay. Hardly something to use to top up my pension, albeit that is 20 years away... maybe by then they will be.

Vintage Badger

I wouldn’t even give 50£ for a Fli, to my taste one of the ugliest and worst Sage rod ever ;-)!!! That said each to its own! Also be careful about Ebay prices… À lot of stuff never gets bought or is bought between insurance claim fraudsters at vastly inflated and imaginary prices to prove to PayPal the “value” of an item…
If, to your taste, the FLi is one of the ugliest and worst sage rods ever, then how come they seldom appear for sale (particularly considering how many of them Sage sold)? Evidence speaks a lot louder than personal opinion.

Hardrar

There’s an element of luck with investing in Fly gear, as you don’t know what’s going to be in demand in the future.
limited editions usually appreciate faster, as they are produced in small finite quantities, I had a collection of one off Steve Abel BG reels back in the nineties, which trebled in value over 2-3 years, I sold them to fund a property purchase. £300-£400 cost reels, went for £900-£1100 each, two of those reels are now valued at over 2k, a lady Liberty artwork and a Stars and Stripes both with SS, sure you could use them, but would you want to?