Irish (ROI) rivers Open 2022

running bear

See attached,

At first glance I don't see any real surprises, apart from 2435 maximum from the Drowes. Did it fish that well last year, or is that number based on counters, over last year ir a number of years? Just surprises me, it's a higher number than Balisodare, for example.

Attachments

• 204029_ac2dec90-e6a0-46a0-b5d7-898c56ad5daf.pdf
    201.5 KB · Views: 39

raphael

Yep!

Allowed catch are not based on the catch of previous year only, but on multiples datas including catches of previous yearS and the counts of fish when available, the number of redds when counted, the young of the year density, the surface of production and therefore the fry production, the ratio in between grisles and multi sea winter, the ratio in between 1+ and 2+ smolts... Then the calculation provides a probability to reach the conservation limit and the value of the possible surplus harvest. But nature ha sthe last word (e.g I remember a very poor year on the Erriff, 3 or 4 times below average... but it did not impact the following seasons).

That said, hope I can return in 2022. Two years without, Eire is missing...

R

running bear

Yep!

Allowed catch are not based on the catch of previous year only, but on multiples datas including catches of previous yearS and the counts of fish when available, the number of redds when counted, the young of the year density, the surface of production and therefore the fry production, the ratio in between grisles and multi sea winter, the ratio in between 1+ and 2+ smolts... Then the calculation provides a probability to reach the conservation limit and the value of the possible surplus harvest. But nature ha sthe last word (e.g I remember a very poor year on the Erriff, 3 or 4 times below average... but it did not impact the following seasons).

That said, hope I can return in 2022. Two years without, Eire is missing...

R
Even so, that's a massive maximum for the Drowes, from all accounts a river that's fairly tough, and in overall catches and fish caught per rod day would be low in comparison to many.

raphael

Yes, you're somewhat right... But from a strict fishery management point of view it still makes sense: that is the harvest surplus, provided the CL for the Drowes is 1059 1SW and 425 SW, all other fish are supernumerary and not required for maximizing the egg deposition and optimizing juvenile production on that catchment... And one will tell you that anyhow all those fish won't be caught as from 2014 to 2019 there were between 260 and 600 grisles killed and 172 to 215 multi-sea winter fish, very far from the maximum allowable catch. You must also remark that the Drowes is a private fishery and the owner needs "to sell fish". It is also vital for the local tourism.... until salmon continues to be abundant, why not?

From a conservationist point of view it may be different and I think also it looks too much and not reasonable, it may encourage the slaughter instead of preservation of a resource that is getting scarcer and scarcer worldwide. Therefore, the Drowes capital should be saved. I've been to the Drowes once in July 2017, just for a day as I was passing by, and I caught a nice bar of silver. Put back... as all my fish: wild salmon deserve to live whatsoever.

Then I must point at the really serious assesment of the resource made by IFI, at least when compared to the silly French options... They do not take risk, you can notice that many rivers are closed, many are open only to C&R, and eventually roughly one third have a catch option, which is low. I notice that some rivers are re-open (Owenmore) while others with consistent runs are still closed (Suir)... On the other hand, I fish very often the Erriff where there is an allowed rod catch but it is very strongly encouraged to release all wild fish. This recommendation is widely applied (more than 95% released last 3 or 4 years).

At the end, it must be concluded that:
- this small Drowes' stock is considered as very healthy, which is quite a good news.
- the text is submitted to consultation, and as an Irish citizen you may submit your remarks in the relevant public consultation.

R

raphael

In 2020 there were 300 salmon C&R on the Drowes and 400 killed; total catch 700 salmon (in Wild salmon and seatrout statistic report 2020 / IFI). CL = 1480 + surplus = 2512 = total estimated population about 4.000 fish.
It is assumed that in a normal system anglers are catching 15% of the fish. Here you will find 17.5%, that is very close...
Those results are not so bad and the population asssesment looks realistic.

R

Last edited:

GEK79

In 2020 there were 300 salmon C&R on the Drowes and 400 killed; total catch 700 salmon (in Wild salmon and seatrout statistic report 2020 / IFI). CL = 1480 + surplus = 2512 = total estimated population about 4.000 fish.
It is assumed that in a normal system anglers are catching 15% of the fish. Here you will find 17.5%, that is very close...
Those results are not so bad and the population asssesment looks realistic.

R
Do those numbers include the spinners at the mouth of the river battering the salmon as they run and what portion of fished are pooched..
I saw a few salmon running last season but saw none being caught.
I didn't fish every day as too expensive..
I went after one flood and I walked to a point on the river and there were at least 8 fisherman all worming who hadn't caught a single fish..
I also found several fish that had been butchered. Sad to see..
Also the Drowes was in horrendous state during the heat..fish de oxygenating. Horrible to see..

raphael

Hi Gary!

That's the estimated total fish caught: fish is being declared and then the number is "raised" in order to estimate the real total catch, including the poached, non declared...
One year is not a single absolute reference. There are goods ones and bad ones. Healthy salmon populations fluctuate naturally by a factor 7... Back to the Erriff in 2016 with only 520 fish counted (real figure!) and in 2019, their returning offspring were more than 3,200! That summer 2021 was special, and sadly it will get more and more frequent and then the fisheries and conservation policy will need to be adapted.

One must understand that the current management is based on maximizing the exploitation of the resource, not on its absolute protection as a species that is globally at risk but healthy where it is estimated so... and therefore submit to exploitation.
I'm just explaining, that does not mean I agree as I'm pledging for full C&R of salmon. There must be a big education effort to be done in order to limit the pressure by anglers but it is on its way: more than 50% of the (declared) salmon caught in Ireland in 2020 were released:

NB: I assume that at 25 euros per day, provided you're leaving less than one hour drive from the Drowes you've got all the chances to fish in good conditions at a very reasonable price. Yes, that river would deserve better management... but the owner makes the rules to make money.

R

Last edited:

Latest posts