Is anyone able to take me trotting for grayling

jaybeegee

Hi is anyone able to take me fishing for grayling ?
Hello Toby and welcome to the forum. The coarse fishing season starts on Wednesday I think, so you can legally fish for grayling from then. They are best fished for in the autumn and winter…one of the only river fish that will feed in very cold weather and not for the faint hearted. Do you have any experience of fishing for other freshwater species?
B

Toby1968

Thanks B not very confident using a forum so apologies for any mistakes.
I have fished mainly using rolling touch ledgering for barbel on the Severn. Would love to go Grayling fishing but not sure how to go about it.

Mrtrout

Thanks B not very confident using a forum so apologies for any mistakes.
I have fished mainly using rolling touch ledgering for barbel on the Severn. Would love to go Grayling fishing but not sure how to go about it.
HiToby welcome, I do a bit of trotting in November etc using a worm.
Its a method i enjoy and very productive at times, if I were you I’d go on you tube and check out the John Wilson videos they are very good and show you just about everything you need.
S.

pentlandflyman

I would have happily taken you out but you are a bit far away! it's not a difficult method at all and you aren't a newbie so would pick it up pretty quickly, like Mr Trout says watch the videos on YouTube (there are loads) and you will learn the basics, i am sure someone on here closer to you will offer to take you along though. Look online for coarse/fly fishing groups/forums etc in the Stafford area as you might have more luck.

jerryrum

Hi Toby

I see you are based in Stafford. I don't know the rivers near you, do you know of any Grayling nearby?

I've caught Grayling (on the fly) to the east of you, in the peak district, and to the west of you, in Wales.

It might be worth letting people know if you are able to travel.

cheers
Jerry

eddleston123

1623688522950.png

Could they help?

glosterboy

Hi Toby
The Teme at Ludlow has Grayling and the town water is free to fish, not sure if there's any Grayling closer to you than that.

If you're used to touch ledgering have a look at Euronymphing,
I spent many years coarse fishing before I picked up a fly rod. I think there's quite a big crossover between the two methods. Its a great way of catching Grayling as well

Last edited:

bobnudd

Try the wye Usk wild stream passport they have some trotting waters on the Lugg the wye and Arrow. Also Caersws anglers allows trotting on there stretch of the upper seven . These are close to you . I do bit in the winter if you can hang on till then