Is fishing boobies ledgering?

BobP

Well, is it? Anchoring a fly to the bed of the lake must surely be the final resting place of the sport of fly fishing.

snow white

I can see any point in going fly fishing to put a bobby out and just sit there thats not ruddy fly fishing.
My mate does it ok he catches fish but me i would sooner go home empty handed than take fish like that.

diawl bach

This is exactly the sort of snobbishness which is destroying our sport. We should accept that all is fair in angling, it's just about catching fish regardless of the method, why create arbitrary divisions, we are brothers of the angle surrounded on all sides by cormorant lovers and animal rights extremists , unite or die etc. etc.

Next:- The Thomsons Gazelle. Is it a gazelle?

BobP

That's a classic Barrows trick I believe. Is it not forbidden now, JCP?

colinc1978

This is exactly the sort of snobbishness which is destroying our sport. We should accept that all is fair in angling, it's just about catching fish regardless of the method, why create arbitrary divisions, we are brothers of the angle surrounded on all sides by cormorant lovers and animal rights extremists , unite or die etc. etc.

Next:- The Thomsons Gazelle. Is it a gazelle?

I like Cormorants, I tied a fair few over the last few days. Can’t wait to swim them, possibly with an anchored booby on the point ;)

olive_dabbler

We'll have posts demanding the banning of The Nailer next!

- - - Updated - - -

On the subject of which, I believe Dick Shrive was using floating flies on sinking lines before I was born.

Cap'n Fishy

Well, is it?
No, it's not ledgering if you fish your booby on a floating line, midge-tip, etc. You put a booby on the point and 2 buzzers or Diawls on the droppers, and you fish it on a floater, or a midge-tip, or a slow glass, and you figure-of-eight it a few inches under the surface, using the booby on the tail to stop the whole rig from sinking deeper. I was doing this just yesterday, and it worked for me. How far up or down your own personal moral high ground do you stand with regard to this method?

Col

Mark Powell

Banned
Banned
This is exactly the sort of snobbishness which is destroying our sport. We should accept that all is fair in angling, it's just about catching fish regardless of the method, why create arbitrary divisions, we are brothers of the angle surrounded on all sides by cormorant lovers and animal rights extremists , unite or die etc. etc........
Personally I think you are 'nearly' right.

I don't think it is snobbishness in the 'traditional' sense. More it is a kind of snobbishness based on the totally false concept that so-called fly fishing, which frequently doesn't involve anything even remotely resembling a fly or its nymphal form, is more 'difficult' and 'skilled' than other methods. Which is utter nonsense.

I live in Hampshire where there are two main 'trout' rivers, lots of small 'put and take' trout ponds ("lake" is somewhat of an exaggeration), and very little else.
I fish the ponds only rarely but I see lots of self-styled 'experts' who seem to think that catching unnaturally large and naive stocked rainbows in small ponds is somehow 'difficult' They wear lots of badges in their hats, use nonsensically overpriced rods, and very much look down on 'occasional' and 'casual' small pond fishers such as myself and my fishing friends.

You don't see this so much on the two rivers.
Much of the river fishing is 'season ticket' or 'club member' only, payable in advance, and requiring a certain wealth, noticeable mostly by the type of vehicles people arrive in. I've been fishing one of the rivers for many years and have never seen anything like the 'traditional' snobbishness, and also I've never seen any of the 'small lake expert' kind of snobbishness either, though by my poor fishing standards some of these 'river' people appear far more expert than I am.

tangled

Ha, “trolling” seems a very apt in these questions and this forum.

No, booby fishing is not ledgering. Next question.

pentlandflyman

Who cares if it is ? (it isn't) and who cares if you think fishing lures is spinning ? (it isn't)

You just fish the way you want and let others fish how they want, if its legal then A - who cares and B - what has it got to do with you ?

I am waiting on the "is removing the fly from a trouts mouth just dentistry ?" question....i'm guessing it is your day off and you are bored, do what the rest of us do...put the wifes underwear on and dance in front of the mirror, its fun.

grayling4

Hi

I have a book, first published in 1987, written by Gordon Fraser titled 'mastering the nymph'. He devotes a chapter to fishing the 'booby nymph' and states its particularly useful when the wind is blowing into the dam wall, forcing undercurrents which suck the fly life down to where the fish are waiting. He fished the booby nymph as per any normal nymph techniques and did not consider it ledgering.

We must also consider those people that perhaps aren't able to employ more 'traditional fl;y fishing techniques (usually involving casting all day). My old man really struggles with a bad shoulder after years have heavy building work but still loves being by the water. He might consider casting out a sinking line with a Booby on the point and just taking a seat on the grass ledge watching the world go by. I would hate to think this could be denied to him because it wouldn't be considered 'proper' fly fishing.

Regards

diawl bach

Personally I think you are 'nearly' right.

I don't think it is snobbishness in the 'traditional' sense. More it is a kind of snobbishness based on the totally false concept that so-called fly fishing, which frequently doesn't involve anything even remotely resembling a fly or its nymphal form, is more 'difficult' and 'skilled' than other methods. Which is utter nonsense.

I live in Hampshire where there are two main 'trout' rivers, lots of small 'put and take' trout ponds ("lake" is somewhat of an exaggeration), and very little else.
I fish the ponds only rarely but I see lots of self-styled 'experts' who seem to think that catching unnaturally large and naive stocked rainbows in small ponds is somehow 'difficult' They wear lots of badges in their hats, use nonsensically overpriced rods, and very much look down on 'occasional' and 'casual' small pond fishers such as myself and my fishing friends.

You don't see this so much on the two rivers.
Much of the river fishing is 'season ticket' or 'club member' only, payable in advance, and requiring a certain wealth, noticeable mostly by the type of vehicles people arrive in. I've been fishing one of the rivers for many years and have never seen anything like the 'traditional' snobbishness, and also I've never seen any of the 'small lake expert' kind of snobbishness either, though by my poor fishing standards some of these 'river' people appear far more expert than I am.

Mark, that was a tongue in cheek post repeating some of the familiar (tedious?) arguments which accompany these threads, apologies if you took it seriously.

Perhaps it's snobbish of me to mention but isn't the correct spelling "legering" or is it so frequently misspelled - à la "course" fishing - that it's virtually interchangeable?

pentlandflyman

He might consider casting out a sinking line with a Booby on the point and just taking a seat on the grass ledge watching the world go by
Wait for it! The OP might ask the question "is sitting down the reason we have so many fat fishermen"

I suffer from a really bad back, like your dad some days i struggle so there are days sitting down fishing a static fly is all i can do, i couldn't care less what others think, getting out and away from everything is more important to me than idiots thinking they are somehow a class above, most of the flies these proper fly fishermen use resemble nothing, they are basically mini lures designed to attract fish, added flash and hot spots to trigger the attack.

JCP

That's a classic Barrows trick I believe. Is it not forbidden now, JCP?
Not really sure Bob but think they might have relaxed the rule with some restrictions for us old gits.I do have some BW mice but still as dry as the day I bought them from the Lodge when Bob was still there.Thought might be good for washing line but still in my ''store box''.Thought they looked too much like a pellet but see now pellet fabs are on the market so might dust them off:eek:hno:

Best JP

Mark Powell

Banned
Banned
Mark, that was a tongue in cheek post repeating some of the familiar (tedious?) arguments which accompany these threads, apologies if you took it seriously.

Perhaps it's snobbish of me to mention but isn't the correct spelling "legering" or is it so frequently misspelled - à la "course" fishing - that it's virtually interchangeable?
Taking it all seriously gives me an opportunity to spout off, which I very much enjoy and can do on lots of subjects, not just fishing :)

As for my own views, I stick to traditional chalk stream methods and flies/nymphs because those are the rivers I have nearby access to and because I was 'raised on fishing' by Oliver Kite's TV programme and his two books.
I also read Hill's 1923 'A Summer on the Test' (from my local library) on night shift when I was young and poor, and it had a huge influence on me, being in my opinion by far the best fly fishing book I ever read. Hills was an extremely expert fly fisherman and a senior member of the government in the 1920's but didn't take himself or fishing too seriously, as is very obvious in that book.
When I am too old to fish I will donate it to the estate where I mostly fish as I later bought my own copy 'secondhand' from a Salisbury book dealer a long time ago, and I found it has comments from two of my predecessors who fished the same estate water and I have added my own.

I've even visited Plunkett's Green's grave in Hurstbourne Priors churchyard but refrained from putting an Iron Blue on it (as many other have done) as I think doing that is 'totally over the top' nonsense.

Purist? No - I once tied a modified Sawyer PTN as an imitation of the nymph of the Ginger Quill, which of course not being a real fly doesn't have a nymphal form. So I can't be a purist :p

As for the 'put and lake' lakes I mentioned I go to them now and again for a little 'light relief' and because I think they deserve our support, even though I find them 'too easy'. Mostly I go to Holbury Lakes (because I think it is the 'prettiest' site) and catch everything on a Damsel Nymph which I drag inattentively through the water behind a medium sink line.

As far as what other people do they can do whatever they want as far as I am concerned and I have said so here. Though I laugh at all these "this year's magazine experts" and this season's miracle fly as it's all been said/done before. Are we really expected to think a trout cares about the difference between a dark Klinkhamer (note the spelling) and a Hawthorn?

olive_dabbler

Hi

I have a book, first published in 1987, written by Gordon Fraser titled 'mastering the nymph'. He devotes a chapter to fishing the 'booby nymph' and states its particularly useful when the wind is blowing into the dam wall, forcing undercurrents which suck the fly life down to where the fish are waiting. He fished the booby nymph as per any normal nymph techniques and did not consider it ledgering.

Regards
There's a nice interview between Tom Ivens and Dick Shrive in "Stillwater Trout Fishing" in which they discuss fishing buoyant flies on sinking lines. My edition is the 3rd (1969) but I suspect the approach is even older than that.