Is it all about the numbers???

Tangled

one question i would like to ask if you were fishing say a 5 acre lake and paying £50 for a 4 fish catch and kill ticket how many would worry about numbers
george

I'd definitely see 4 as the target. But if I caught 3 in an hour - quite possible in those kind of places - I'd be getting annoyed with the whole thing - do I let the next one 'fall off'? If I do will I be annoyed if I don't catch another? Do I buy another ticket? If I buy another ticket will I catch another fish? If I buy another ticket and catch 4 more what will I do with all those damn fish?

But I wouldn't fish there unless there was absolutely nowhere else - spoils the whole concept of fishing.

Mr Notherone

one question i would like to ask if you were fishing say a 5 acre lake and paying £50 for a 4 fish catch and kill ticket how many would worry about numbers
george
I appreciate some enjoy this type of fishing, but not for me. I'm not interested in trying to catch a quota or worse having to go home after an hour...

I certainly don't want anyone dictating to me what a 'full days' fishing is.

green man

Lechlade is £75 for a 'Full Day', 4 fish catch and kill ticket .Your 'Full Day' ends when fish number 4 has been caught and killed . . . unless you go and purchase another £75 ticket.

Speaks volumes about the descent of attitudes with regards to 'a day's fishing'.

Seems to represent a complete lack of respect for the sport and the quarry, when the object becomes killing (four) fish, simply because the day has cost £75.00.

Certainly the stewpond owners only care about feeding enough pellets to make the fish reach 'specimen' weights and draw in more greedy punters. Still, I guess it's a necessary evil if it keeps them off the natural waters.

Rob Edmunds

Apologies if this sounds like I'm an @rsehole.....

When I was young say 8 to 28 it was definitely about numbers for me, the more I caught the better......forget the fact I was sitting on a big pod of stockies I just wanted to hammer them, and find the best method.

I soon realised that I had to change and adjust methods in order to keep catching - No question this has made me into a better match angler as matches are about cropping stockies 99% of the time. ( still I accept most people don't like match anglers)

Now I find that boring ( unless it's an actual match).....I catch 6 or 7 fish work out the method and want a fresh challenge....usually targeting more difficult fish, or fishing the wrong method with the wrong set up intentionally.....say my #2 weight in a fairly strong wind etc ..Even if practicing for a match I aim to be finished by 15.00hrs as I'm bored.

But I still have to catch.....personally I don't go fishing to sit on the bank , take in the view and enjoy the countryside although I do appreciate nice surroundings....but give me the choice of 6 silvered up fish from Farmoor fishing a Di8 and booby ( not a pretty reservoir ) or 4 stockies from Eyebrook on a floater( very picturesque) I'm going to pick Farmoor every time.

I look at each fishing trip as challenge, if conditions and rock hard then I adjust my expectations to what I consider a success then once I've worked it out for that day and caught then I'm bored again.....its half the reason I turned to targeting the big Zander and Pike - it was a little different.

As for places like Lechlade.....yes I've fished them once a year and enjoyed them......but let's not kid ourselves its really fishing. These places are ridiculously easy waters (90% of the time)...fish are stocked ever single day between 4 and 18lb to satisfy the demand of people that fish there.....there is no skill in catching a big fish from these waters, it's all about luck.....if you catch 20 fish at least 1 will be a double

Personally I don't call walking along the bank ( that's intentionally deep at your feet do the fish literally run along the bank so there's little need to actually cast ) and dropping a Heavyweight lure in front of a recently stocked fish and jigging it a skill.....others may disagree but if someone with "Zero" angling knowledge can do it it's hardly a skill to me. ( same as the Bung)..

Look I'm not criticising those that do it and enjoy it - that's your choice.....fishing is different for us all and we all have different needs..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 90002

Lechlade is £75 for a 'Full Day', 4 fish catch and kill ticket .Your 'Full Day' ends when fish number 4 has been caught and killed . . . unless you go and purchase another £75 ticket.

Speaks volumes about the descent of attitudes with regards to 'a day's fishing'.
75 pound a day??

D

Deleted member 90002

Apologies if this sounds like I'm an @rsehole.....

When I was young say 8 to 28 it was definitely about numbers for me, the more I caught the better......forget the fact I was sitting on a big pod of stockies I just wanted to hammer them, and find the best method.

I soon realised that I had to change and adjust methods in order to keep catching - No question this has made me into a better match angler as matches are about cropping stockies 99% of the time.

Now I find that boring ( unless it's an actual match).....I catch 6 or 7 fish work out the method and want a fresh challenge....usually targeting more difficult fish, or fishing the wrong method with the wrong set up intentionally.....say my #2 weight in a fairly strong wind etc ..Even if practicing for a match I aim to be finished by 15.00

Even now I still have to catch.....personally I don't go fishing to sit on the bank , take in the view and enjoy the countryside although I do appreciate nice surroundings....but give me the choice of 6 silvered up fish from Farmoor fishing a Di8 and booby ( not a pretty reservoir ) or 4 stockies from Eyebrook once floater( very picturesque) I'm going to pick Farmoor every time.

I look at each fishing trip as challenge, if conditions and rock hard then I adjust my expectations to what I consider a success .....once I've worked it out for that day and caught then I'm bored again.....its half the reason I turned to targeting the big Zander and Pike - it was a little different
And that's the beauty you are happy fishing that way as I'm happy being out trying a different wild Loch that has never seen a pellet or a stocked fish sitting down brewing up checking the shore for hatches and spider wens to see what has been flying about setting up and off until last light.
That's me happy.
But gladly your way makes you a happy fisherman..
Its a huge passion for us.. Numbers aren't for me..
G.

bobmiddlepoint

george

Well if you look at it that way you would be better going and buying fish...
Call me an old fuddy duddy but my take on it is that you buy a ticket you are buying the right to fish not the actual fish. It's up to you to catch them not expect them to jump on the hook because you have paid for them.

Andy

green man

I look at each fishing trip as challenge, if conditions and rock hard then I adjust my expectations to what I consider a success .....once I've worked it out for that day and caught then I'm bored again.....its half the reason I turned to targeting the big Zander and Pike - it was a little different

Don't take this as criticism, just an observation. But the only issue I can see with what sounds like a low threshold of boredom and the pursuit of an ever-increasing buzz, is that sooner or later you find there's nowhere left to go.

For me, fishing has been the opposite of my commercial life - ie. no living up to expectations, no targets to be met, and appreciating that it doesn't have to be a competition, even with myself. The imposition of self-inflicted shackles would ruin fishing for me.

Rob Edmunds

Green man....I totally agree with you.......

I fall in and out of love with fishing all the time.....but it's what I do and all I know, its engrained into my every day life so I can't break the habit ....I'm about to do some tying now before an hour on the river just messing about.

For me SWFF is the ultimate buzz....chasing Permit or Bonefish on the flats is just amazing.......trout fishing by comparison is boring.

beetlebum

The main reason I ended up trying fly fishing 10 years ago was the fact that I'd just gotten a little jaded with sitting behind rods. I grew up coarse fishing and loved it but I came to a point where I found my attention span becoming smaller and smaller. The appeal with fly fishing was the fact I could travel light and just grab a couple of hours whenever I got the chance, it's the same thing I like about lure fishing for pike and perch over the winter. Sorry for rambling, I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that our approaches and preferences may change with regards to our fishing but we are still anglers and we have more in common than not.

When speaking to other anglers or reading about fishing it all seems to be about the numbers rather than the enjoyment. Infact I'd go as far as to say that for many the enjoyment seems to be based on the numbers.
That is so true in a nutshell and for anyone who says it isnt the norm,it is and one of the main reasons I retired from fisheries.
Anglers arrive putting themselves under pressure to catch as many as possible and if they dont get into double figures the fishery is rubbish,its not been stocked and they have had a bad day.Sorry but Id rather be away from those "anglers".They follow the stocking truck more than looking about at what is around them and relaxing and enjoying being in quiet place.Skills,well just fling a bung out with a lure or blob under it and sit and wait till the newly stocke dfish arrive and then its "look at me" catching and never moving as it makes them look as if they are good anglers.

D

Deleted member 90002

That is so true in a nutshell and for anyone who says it isnt the norm,it is and one of the main reasons I retired from fisheries.
Anglers arrive putting themselves under pressure to catch as many as possible and if they dont get into double figures the fishery is rubbish,its not been stocked and they have had a bad day.Sorry but Id rather be away from those "anglers".They follow the stocking truck more than looking about at what is around them and relaxing and enjoying being in quiet place.Skills,well just fling a bung out with a lure or blob under it and sit and wait till the newly stocke dfish arrive and then its "look at me" catching and never moving as it makes them look as if they are good anglers.
👍👍👍

pentlandflyman

It's never been about numbers for me, I fish to get away from it all and to clear the head. I tried clubs and comps and it took all the enjoyment out of it for me but I can see why others enjoy it. Some days I have gone fishing and haven't cast a fly because I've sat and watched otters play or birds of prey for hours or talked to someone for too long or just walked and took it all in. Once you're away from everyone it's a great to let it all out as well. So just enjoy it while you can and fish how you want to fish, chucking lures in a muddy hole for rainbows or fishing dry flies on a river for wild trout, its all fishing and thats what it's about.

D

Deleted member 90002

It's never been about numbers for me, I fish to get away from it all and to clear the head. I tried clubs and comps and it took all the enjoyment out of it for me but I can see why others enjoy it. Some days I have gone fishing and haven't cast a fly because I've sat and watched otters play or birds of prey for hours or talked to someone for too long or just walked and took it all in. Once you're away from everyone it's a great to let it all out as well. So just enjoy it while you can and fish how you want to fish, chucking lures in a muddy hole for rainbows or fishing dry flies on a river for wild trout, its all fishing and thats what it's about.
Great words lad Great Words..

jaybeegee

If I wanted to catch lots of fish I would not fish the places I do. One hard earned little brown trout under difficult conditions can do it for me. I don’t mind the odd blank either it’s all part and parcel of it and being out on the river is the main thing.
B

codyarrow

If it is entirely about 'just being there' why are you not all hill walkers instead?

I bet 90% of us started off at the stock pond looking for a hook up. If I've got a newbee I take them to the easiest place to catch.
We will come under pressure from the anti brigade in future I suggest you all stop creating barriers between ourselves and accept other peoples enjoyment is different from yours but of the same value.

Craig808

Skills,well just fling a bung out with a lure or blob under it and sit and wait till the newly stocke dfish arrive and then its "look at me" catching and never moving as it makes them look as if they are good anglers.
Absolutely, this is what I see every single week on my local fisheries.

I don't want to start a debate over using the bung but it's not really for me. And that's probably me being a bit stubborn. I've been out when all around me have got an egg or pellet fly under a bung and caught 20,30, 40 and even higher. But I try and persevere with naturals and land a fraction of what they do, much to everyones amusement.

But I know that I'm more satisfied by catching 5 fish using a dry for example than catching 35 with a pellet fly.

If it is entirely about 'just being there' why are you not all hill walkers instead?

I bet 90% of us started off at the stock pond looking for a hook up. If I've got a newbee I take them to the easiest place to catch.
We will come under pressure from the anti brigade in future I suggest you all stop creating barriers between ourselves and accept other peoples enjoyment is different from yours but of the same value.
So what your saying is show them how easy it is wait for the stock truck and fish every cast and when it gets hard they give up.The opposite can also be true,show them how fishing really is,where you need to think and use skills to catch and not become one of the bung and chuck brigade.

No wonder fishing has changed and the antis are about when they view some of the mishandling by so called anglers.

Latest posts