Islay magic

LukeNZ

3lb 5oz beauty from one of the smaller Islay lochs. properly christened my CTS affinity X 5 wt in the process after 8 years!
Good to see you flying the NZ flag with your fine rod choice 👍
Did you buy your blank from CTS and make it yourself, or did they build it here for you?

Nice fish!

Well worth the wait. Fish was a real arm acher and just didn't know when to quit. Went for a size 12 Kate Maclaren. Extra special catch because I passed the rod over to my son who landed the fish. It was his first feel of a fish and "his best evening ever".

CTS blank was bought from guidesnblanks and I built it up myself. A fantastic rod with a lot of feel for what is a very fast action blank. Apparently the newer versions have exactly the same action but a much lower swing weight.

LukeNZ

Well worth the wait. Fish was a real arm acher and just didn't know when to quit. Went for a size 12 Kate Maclaren. Extra special catch because I passed the rod over to my son who landed the fish. It was his first feel of a fish and "his best evening ever".

CTS blank was bought from guidesnblanks and I built it up myself. A fantastic rod with a lot of feel for what is a very fast action blank. Apparently the newer versions have exactly the same action but a much lower swing weight.
If you go onto the CTS website to rod blanks, you can effectively create your own preferred action by using their selection tool to determine what flex each section has (you can also buy all their rods as blanks too, or have them custom build on your choice of blank).
Have never seen one of theirs in the flesh, in single hand format.
But I know they are very hard to beat for longer salmon and trout spey double hand blanks - Robert Meiser selects all his blanks from CTS, always has; and they are works of art, as well as sublime casting and fishing rods. I have a few trout spey rods built by Bob at his shop in Oregon US from his design blanks rolled by CTS in New Zealand, Check out his website if you are ever in the market for a really ice but very usable double hander, trout or salmon.
Likewise the CTS website is easy to navigate and they will ship blanks anywhere on the planet, as well as fully built rods.

I actually picked up a bargain CTS Affinity DQ 13ft 8/9 blank a couple of months ago on eBay. Personally, I don’t like the aesthetics of the Meiser rods. My understanding is the the Affinity DQ blanks were codeveloped with Bob Meiser but the blanks he uses are proprietary tapers made by CTS. There probably isn’t much difference. He must source his blanks from
elsewhere these days though because CTS no longer make blanks for third parties. He may get special treatment though.

LukeNZ

I actually picked up a bargain CTS Affinity DQ 13ft 8/9 blank a couple of months ago on eBay. Personally, I don’t like the aesthetics of the Meiser rods. My understanding is the the Affinity DQ blanks were codeveloped with Bob Meiser but the blanks he uses are proprietary tapers made by CTS. There probably isn’t much difference. He must source his blanks from
elsewhere these days though because CTS no longer make blanks for third parties. He may get special treatment though.
Yes hie still makes his rods from CTS blanks. The tapers are all his own, and he does do blank development work for other blank/rod manufacturers.
Makes the nicest two handed grips in the business in my opinion. Surprisingly, a lot of his doubl handed rods with heavy aesthetic customisation are bought by Japanese fly fishermen - but they do turn up everywhere. Never heard of one breaking through use.
I like the range of lengths he does for trout spey - you can get a 13’ 9” in 3wt.!
Even a standard build is subtly spectacular.