Ist Vice

guest21

Hi Poyner,

Are you looking to spend £50-80 on a vice or are you wnating that to include tools as well?

Old Jock

I use this vice.........
regent-traditional.jpg

Regent Traditional Vice and Box *FDP0016AA*
This type of side grip lever action vice is now firmly established as the favourite among enthusiastic fly tiers. Now available is this table top version sure to be a top seller. Fully rotational head with adjustable angle. Black and Brass finish. Supplied with a heavy Pedestal.

Price: £25.53 (Excluding: VAT at 17.5%)

I reckon this is excellent value for money and cant understand why people would spend more on a vice than this. Its the only vice you will ever need. I purchased mine from the Glasgow angling centre

tangler

I couldn't agree more, Old Jock. I've got the clamp version and it will hold any size of hook rock steady.

Rod

Tango51

tangler said:
I couldn't agree more, Old Jock. I've got the clamp version and it will hold any size of hook rock steady.

Rod

It may hold them steady but the access to the hook is limited. With my fat fingers anything under a #14 and I struggled. I changed it within a month as I just couldn't tie on it.

Old Jock said:
I reckon this is excellent value for money and cant understand why people would spend more on a vice than this
Because we can.

I agree though, an excellent starter vice and if you like it/get on with it then you will get many years service from it.

Highlander

Whilst The Regent is ideal as a beginers vice, It will be never any more than that. For £25 you will not get longivity.
I might have a look at the Snowbee & Weaver ranges, within your price bracket & good bottom to mid range vices. Another alternative is to look at E Bay & bid for one of the better second hand models such as a Dyna-King or Renzetti but for God's sake do not buy a Stonefly what ever you do.
Tight lines

POYNER111

Hi

Thanks for the advice, Old jock I was just looking at the Regent on the Glasgow angling web site, also Highlander I was looking at a stone fly on Ebay, whats the issue with stone fly...?
What tools..?

guest21

I was given a the best piece of advice when I decided to purchase a Stonefly Vice - Don't

For starters the quality isn't there, and it's very much plastic. If you wish to adjust it you must use the knob which is centred in the middle of 2 arms, which can be a bit of a pain.

As for the tools I reckon they will last you about 3-6mths before they snap or break because they are plastic. Don't get me wrong they look the part in their wee carry box and thats about it.

Here is something you should maybe look at before you select a vice. Hans is a member of this forum and very much regarded in high esteem by just about every fly tyer. The advice he gives here is non biased, but telling it as it is. He weighs up the pros and cons and then leaves you to decide for yourself.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index.html

Another option for you is the Dyna King Kingfisher, at £85 and just a little over your budget, its worth it weight in gold. Well made, robust, and it will last you years. I would say go for this and you will not be disappointed. Scroll down the page till you find it. Lakeland are by far the cheapest to get it form.

http://store.lakelandflytying.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=37

And last but not least, you can have a kit for around £48 - £86 which includes everything.

http://store.lakelandflytying.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=108

I would not order from the G.A.C because they take forever and a day, and you will be waiting at least 5days.

Hope this helps.

The Kyp

Last edited:

tangler

Highlander said:
Whilst The Regent is ideal as a beginers vice, It will be never any more than that. For £25 you will not get longivity.
I might have a look at the Snowbee & Weaver ranges, within your price bracket & good bottom to mid range vices. Another alternative is to look at E Bay & bid for one of the better second hand models such as a Dyna-King or Renzetti but for God's sake do not buy a Stonefly what ever you do.
Tight lines

I'm afraid I can't agree with you about the longevity. The design is simple, effective and built like a battleship. The only place one might expect wear is the jaws and they are well hardened. It's very functional but it aint elegant and I'm as big a sucker for shiny toys as the next man. But I reckon a beginner's money is better spent on capes rather than a pretty vice.:)

doonicus

I have to agree with tangler, and Old Jock, I have this vice which is now around 17 years old, and still does the business for me. It has tied thousands of flies over this period.
doonicus

Cromie

Highlander said:
Tight lines
I have a dyna-king vice. There is a few second hand ones around ebay and the vices couldn't be better.;) You could get a kingfisher-dyna king for around 80 pound, But i think you should get that vice for £20 quid it looks sweet for your first vice.

3lbgrayling

i have to say that the regent is a fine vice,it will last the normal flytier years.i had one ,but was offered a griffin patriot for a great price. i gave the regent to a beginner on this forum.can't remember who .but i'm sure it will still be doing the buisness.

jim

Last edited:
G

Guest111

Have to say Highlander, I think that is way off the mark, the one thing that I would guarantee with the Regent vices is longevity. I'm not about to put it up against a Law Bench, but I think it'll last longer than most of the rest.

Tango's point is worth noting about hook access, although I never had any trouble tying down to a size 18 on one, anything smaller than that may prove a little more difficult.

If anyone is interested I have a few Regent vices left for sale at just under £16. Although, if you did want to spend up to £80, you may just be able to pick up a Griffin Montana for that price if you have a look on ebay.com

These Peak vices look interesting at the price, but I've not had a chance to have a play around with one, others may be able to comment and compare it against the Griffin Montana, and equivalent Dyna King:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280037940984&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSII_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=280037368941&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=ItemToItem&usedrule2=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

As for tools poyner111, I would start with; scissors, a couple of bobbin holders, two pairs of hackle pliers, a dubbing needle, a hair rake, and possibly a hair stacker if you are planning on tying muddlers etc.

Regards,
Terry.

Last edited:

Cerberos

Another Vote for Weaver

My first vice was a Weaver lever action. For £30 it is great value, very well made with a good standard to the finish.

I still use it on occasions. After about 2 years of tying a graduated onto a rotary vice that cost around £120.

The £30 weaver is a great starter vice. It doesn't spend all your budget and leaves something to buy materials with.

When I started tying I went to my local fly fishing shop (Fly Only) and told him my budget and asked him what I needed to tie the flies I knew caught fish on my local water.

I think from memory I came away with;

The vice
Some pointed sharp scissors
Bobbin holder
Whip Finish Tool
Hackle Pliers
Bodkin/Dubbing Needle (really useful tool this one)
Head Varnish
Lead wire
Black thread
Tinsel or wire for ribbing.
Some small packets of hackles
Some Maribou
Chenille
A Pheasant tail feather
A Peacock feather
A box of mixed natural dubbing
A hares mask.
And a selection of hooks

This made me the things that I knew worked on my local reservoir.

Pheasant tailed Nymph, hares ear nymph, very simple small black knat. Small lures.

You could add some wing post material when you are ready to graduate onto klinkhammers, which are still my most successful fly. I would suggest tying something more basic to start with.

Back to your original question, I would recommend the weaver vice to start with. I used the cheapest lever action vice, I still have it and would not part with it. Spend you budget on materials, move onto the more expensive vice if you find you enjoy tying your own flies.

killipso

If you're happy to make a purchase based on our opinions, then the several suggestions made already are all you need. The quoted vices are all pretty serviceable, and as long as they turn out to suit your tying style, you'll be a happy guy.

A note of caution? Even the most expensive vice, like a Law for instance, is not guaranteed to 'fit' you. IMHO, trying out several vices yourself before you buy, is the best way to go. Visit a retail outlet that has a good range of vices, or better still, visit several stores with several brands and models (if you can make it to The British Fly Fair, that's a good place to look at all the gear). Find the one that feels right for YOU, and with luck it will fall within budget.

I hate to bang on about it, but a vice is a piece of equipment you may end up spending many hours with - they should be fun hours. So it helps if you feel 'pleased' with your vice - are happy with its action, touch, and feel.

There are proponents of all the different jaw actions, rotary action, bench and c-clamp bases, ergonomics. They have to be right for you and the types of fly you intend to dress. If you're gonna be spinning lots of deer hair for instance you'll be better off with a c-clamp base...........

As for tools....... I confess to buying a couple of Stonefly numbers - dubbing needle and 'something else!?' They were all the shop had at the time. Unsurprisingly, both broke! Now I either make my own tools (that doesn't extend to scissors :eek:) or buy robust products (not necessarily expensive).

frankie-g

HI i had the regent vice for over 12 years and tied everything on it from large
salmon flies to tiny suspender buzzers. At that time i tied flys for some local shops and small stillwater fisheries (500 +flies per week) including the trout fisherman fly tying masterclass were i was lucky that year to go through the ranks from the begginers to the masterclass all in the space of 3 months.
and not once did i have a problem with this vice. At the end of the day though you pay your money and take your choice but for £25.00 you cant go
far wrong

POYNER111

Hi

The Regent vice sounds good to start on, but I also do a bit of SWFF will it hold a size 2-2/0 for tying clousers...?

J

jan

yes -i tied up to 6/0 tarpon flies on my regent before i changed it a couple of years ago - good value for a starter vice imo