Ist Vice

necorner

I use the regent one myself, recently "upgraded" from my dads 40 year old veniards screw action one.
i find it to be pefectly acceptable. the lever very occasionaly gets in the way , but Im not complaining for the 20 odd quid it cost me..

Highlander

Guest111 said:
Have to say Highlander, I think that is way off the mark,

I do not think it is "way of the mark" You get what you pay for & at £25 you will not get much more than a vice which at a push is adequate.
Tight Lines

scotfly

Can only say I had a regent for a few years, tied in excess of 10000 flies on it, everything from 3/0 salmon irons down to #20 traditional dry flys. Never had any problems with hook access or durability, I actually sold the vice on for very near what I paid for it and still in A1 condition.

grizzle

A lot of the "starter" priced vices are perfectly adequate for a beginner, i personally would encourage them to put a few extra quid into a decent pair of scissors which greatly help in the learning/tying process..............give it a go if tyings for you after a few months...............................spend spend spend like the fly tying magpie/gear tart you will have become!!!:D

tangler

Highlander said:
I do not think it is "way of the mark" You get what you pay for & at £25 you will not get much more than a vice which at a push is adequate.
Tight Lines
I'm afraid I'm not convinced , when it comes to fly fishing kit, that you get what you pay for. Perhaps I'm just a skinflint:)

Strathearn

I've used a couple of mid range vices - Dynaking and a stonefly - The stonefly is by far the worst vice I have ever used but I now find myself back to using a regent. Cost me 17 quid two years ago and I must have tied thousands of flies on it from 22's right up to size 4 salmon doubles. What I really like about the regent is the simplicity and versitility. There is no footering about and it accepts a wide range of sizes. Just as mentioned before if you are new to fly tying get a cheap regent vice, its nothing fancy but it wont let you down and spend a bit extra on some better tools.

POYNER111

Thanks for all the advive, I think I'll go for the Regent and spend out on some good tools, then buy a quality vice later if I feel the need.

Neil

G

Guest111

I do not think it is "way of the mark"

Highlander, you stated that by going for the Regent option you would not get longevity. The great thing about the regent vices is they have what seems to be a fail proof lever mechanism, and very tough jaws. These are two elements that many more expensive vices simply can't offer. I've never heard anyone complain about Regent vices failing on them, in fact I continually here stories similar those stated in this thread, where people have had these vices many, many years under heavy use, that is what I call longevity.

Hope you enjoy the tying POYNER.

Regards,
Terry

Last edited:

scotfly

3lbgrayling said:
now i know where the tight scots reputation comes from.;) :D :D

jim

I'm not tight!!! and I resent the implication :mad:
I can't help the ramifications of my genetic defect... short arms and deep pockets :p :D :D

G

Guest111

I can't help the ramifications of my genetic defect... short arms and deep pockets

And yet you still keep your money in your sock just to make sure:)