It's all over once more.

BobP

Yet another season has rolled by. 48 days picking up seems to have gone before we even knew it had started. There have been some memorable moments of outstanding retrieves by the dogs, and as usual in these things the best goes unseen by guns, keepers and other pickers up.

I now have the tricky task of winding down three hyper-fit spaniels whose sole desire for the last four months has been to hunt, run, retrieve and hunt some more. At least the food bill will reduce to reasonable proportions.

mackiia1

At least you have the new fishing season to come Bob- hopefully Spring isn't too far away - I love that time of year - flora and fauna coming back to life.
One door closes , another opens , as they say - tite lines.

ohanzee

A good trick for tiring fit dogs is 'the hill', stand at the top and throw a ball down, they have to run up hill to bring it back;) repeat as necessary.

Has the weather not wrecked your season this year?

ohanzee

‘Spaniels’ and ‘tire’ are two words you seldom see in the same sentence
A farmer near me has a collie crossed with his own perpetual motion genetic recipe, the spaniel element has created a perpetual hyper active monster, if you stand and talk it runs round and round you looking for its next direction like a possessed mad thing:D

spudgun

Yet another season has rolled by. 48 days picking up seems to have gone before we even knew it had started. There have been some memorable moments of outstanding retrieves by the dogs, and as usual in these things the best goes unseen by guns, keepers and other pickers up.

I now have the tricky task of winding down three hyper-fit spaniels whose sole desire for the last four months has been to hunt, run, retrieve and hunt some more. At least the food bill will reduce to reasonable proportions.
I'm glad you have had a good season. Two days ago I went to the dark side and got a twenty month old black cocker dog, I've always been a black lab person, but not any more. I've been out working with him twice now and we've really bonded, the enthusiasm these dogs have when channelled correctly is amazing. I'm totally converted, I'm now thinking of getting a ***** too go with him for this coming season.
Cheers

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

colinc1978

I'm glad you have had a good season. Two days ago I went to the dark side and got a twenty month old black cocker dog, I've always been a black lab person, but not any more. I've been out working with him twice now and we've really bonded, the enthusiasm these dogs have when channelled correctly is amazing. I'm totally converted, I'm now thinking of getting a ***** too go with him for this coming season.
Cheers

We have a black cocker ***** too. I am sad that she doesn’t qualify to be mentioned as such on the forum ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BobP

No, ohanzee. We've had a few wet ones and the winds have been a bit testing for the guns, but no shoots cancelled. We've had three bouts of snow, but nothing deep or lasting.

Spudgun,

Cockers can be a right handful. They are very busy dogs - forever on the go - and likely to run themselves into the ground on that account, especially early in the season before they are fully match fit.

I have mulled over a cocker myself, but there seem to be a lot of very small dogs around these days and the average cock pheasant down here weighs in at around 6lbs. A lively and seriously p*ssed off cock pheasant might be a bit of a tough proposition for a cocker on the small side.

Still, you've got a good few months before next season to see what he's made of. Have fun - you'll not get bored!

spudgun

We have a black cocker ***** too. I am sad that she doesn’t qualify to be mentioned as such on the forum ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That surprised me too, I didn't think the word b*tch was offensive when used in the context concerning dog's.

spudgun

No, ohanzee. We've had a few wet ones and the winds have been a bit testing for the guns, but no shoots cancelled. We've had three bouts of snow, but nothing deep or lasting.

Spudgun,

Cockers can be a right handful. They are very busy dogs - forever on the go - and likely to run themselves into the ground on that account, especially early in the season before they are fully match fit.

I have mulled over a cocker myself, but there seem to be a lot of very small dogs around these days and the average cock pheasant down here weighs in at around 6lbs. A lively and seriously p*ssed off cock pheasant might be a bit of a tough proposition for a cocker on the small side.

Still, you've got a good few months before next season to see what he's made of. Have fun - you'll not get bored!
We have the old English black necks, around here, big strong birds and he retrieved three of them on Saturday perfectly, I was well chuffed. But I know what you mean about small b*tches, a few of the beaters have them and to be honest they are pretty useless on c*ck birds.
Cheers

Cap'n Fishy

We had our 'sweep day' yesterday too. Not a dog between them, alas. Four beaters: one friend, 2 children and one mother... and, er, that was it.

Still, we had a decent day, despite it being dreich as a wet weekend in Wick.

Last shot at the Castle drive...

<Click on images and + for full size view>

I'm a dab hand at dodging these things these days... ;)

Our guns have to do their own picking-up...

Four birds make a late break at the 'Farm Strip'

Last trudge over 'the plough' awaits...

The sparrowhawk that lives in 'The Dump' got flushed again...

Last one of the season in the bag...

Then it was back to the Carfraemill for the apre-shoot and a cracking meal. :thumbs:

Col

Mrtrout

Lovely shot of the pheasant and cartridges, I remember you head butting a pheasant Col, serious.
S.