Its sedge o clock ...what do you tie on?

Spider

Its another lockdown scenario from Spider - help you fellows cast you minds forward, and teach each other about flies and scenarios

So...

Its Sedge O Clock - lets say 10pm, on your local river, in early July.

Its been a warm day, but the river is in good nick due to regular rainfall.

There are sedges coming off everywhere ...you cant grab one to see what colour it is . Hello, there may be blue wings out there too, but the rises are fairly aggressive,and you reckon the fish are on the caddis. Hmmm....

What fly do you tie on ?

• Cdc and Elk
  • Elk Hair Caddis
  • Roman Moser Caddis ( what colour foam .....does it matter? )
  • Bubble Wing Caddis
  • One of the above with a green egg sack tied at the rear of the hook
  • F Fly
  • DHE
  • Salzberg Cripple DHE
  • Klinkhammer
  • Any of the above with some sort of pupa pattern aswell ( Dry dropper)
  • A Spider ( which one) fished upstream ( hard to see takes though? )
  • Mackia's Sedge Pupa

Throw yourselves forward in time lads , out of this freezing covid winter, and lend us your thoughts and tactics.....

Last edited:

nickthomas

CE5987F9-AE55-4380-9577-5522C264E448.jpeg

rabmax

The cdc & elk is a great fly.The crippled version is even better.But i find you get lots of fish splashing at them & often poor hook-ups.I have alway's thought it's because deer hair is a jaggy tying material.I think it bounces out there mouth often.Ged's cdc fly is very good.Tied with cdc material i think you get better hook-ups as cdc is soft.My black sakasa kebari tied with hen pheasant slays on caddis eating fish.Especially when you pulse the fly.My poly wing emerger slays too with caddis.With the clipped hackle it floats great too when you skate it in the evenings.Also find a better hook-up with poly wing over deer hair ( as poly wing is soft material)We all have our own ideas & this has been what i have observed over the years.

Attachments

• 20210128_192017.jpg
    20210128_192017.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28

goldenolive

A great time of the year!
My favourite river caddis pattern would be the Devaux caddis.

Just before the hatch when the pupa are being taken, I fish a duo set up of a g&h sedge with a pheasant tail nymph tied onto the bend of the sedge.

When its pitch dark, I have had great fun skating a large dry green Peter with a white hackle on the front, I think its taken for a moth most if the time.

rabmax

Can trout distinguish subtle differences in colours when it's dark , or just profile?

Douglas
They can but it doesn't alway's matter.Well that's in day time.When i used to fish all night with sedges. I fished large profile drab flies .Think it was the movement & twitching that got the fish to attack.Never swung wet flies after dark though.

muddlaminno

Stimulator - and a big one if the fish are in the mood - rouse some big old brute off the bottom!

Spider

Ian, what are the materials for pic number 2? Interesting looking fly. Probably like mackias famous sedge pupa?

Mackia, Throw your pic up again if u get a minute

Latest posts