Jackie Charlton

jaybeegee

RIP Big Jack, a Leeds United, England and Republic of Ireland legend. One of my boyhood heroes, I learned new words from him while watching Leeds at training in the mid sixties! A keen angler and hill walker to boot, I hope heā€™d been watching his old club on Thursday evening.
šŸ˜¢

Gdog

Much loved by many people in Ireland, he whipped a team of under achievers in to a winning team and brought the nation on a whirlwind trip to 2 World Cup finals and 1 European Championship final.

Republic of Ireland teams have not been as successful since his departure. His simple put them under pressure tactics worked well for the team even though this style had its detractors particularly former Irish internationals such as John Giles and Liam Brady.

RIP Jack and thanks for the memories, particularly for beating England 1-0 in Stuggart in 1988 and Italy 1-0 in Giants Stadium in 1994.

tenet

I believe he had a house near Ballina Co Mayo for easy access to the Ridge Pool and a short journey to Lough Carrowmore and the Owenmore river. Met him once in Seamus Henry's pub, The West End Bar, in Bangor Erris. A great character who told it as it was and certainly didn't suffer fools gladly. RIP.

noel

codyarrow

He may be putting another name in the black book while waiting for St Peter. :)

campsiefisher

I suppose one of my claims to fame is i shared the same digs with Jack when his house was being built in Ballina, he used to fish the River Moy, unlike myself there were no cheap stretches of water for him he fished the world famous Ridge pool, I may have (quite by accident) *cough* taken some of his worms that he left in the garage too (sorry Jack).

I was in Ireland also in 90 the year Jack got them to the WC quarter finals, I had never seen such a sight the whole town (shops houses streets lamp posts) everywhere decked out in tri-Colours, no-one watched the games in their home, I mean _everyone_ went to the pub.

RIP. Jack