Jaxon crocodile premium tippet

kingf000

There have been mixed reviews on the Jaxon crocodile tippet but coarse fishermen seem to rave about it. So I bought the 0.14mm line. I did think it was rated as 4kg breaking strain but when I got it I noticed it said it was for fish up to 4kg! So I tested the breaking strain by taking 3 lengths and tying perfection loops at each end, linking one over a door handle and pulling the other end with my little samson spring balance. It broke at 3lb. Pretty naff really. I then compared it with my grand max 0.14mm - same result - 3lb, stroft 0.14mm - 3lb. I then thought that the door handle was quite thick, so the loop was open which may have weakened the knot. So I repeated all this by tying some 15lb maxima to the door handle and loop to loop connected the lines. This increased the breaking strain to 3.5lb. So all 3 seem to be equivalent but still well short of the quoted breaking strains. Has anyone else found this?

BobP

Don't forget that if this Jaxon stuff has been raved about by the coarse anglers that they will mainly use it on commercial carp waters using long poles with elastic through the top section. Therefore it is quite likely that they will be able to land fish up to 4kg or 10lbs on lines that are rated 4lbs or thereabouts. The elastic takes all the shock out of it, and having watched several of the big carp competitions on TV it is noticeable that when those fish are hooked under the rod top they do not appear to go off on long, fast runs.

kingf000

Worth noting that the Jaxon is a fraction of the price of the other two! I'll still give it a go on places where I would have used 0.14mm line

Mrtrout

I normally buy the Jaxons Eternum and it’s fantastic stuff.
I bought a spool of the Crocodile one from eBay to try it, it snapped like cotton and I was refunded, I think it’s old stock, stick with the Eternum mine has always been fantastic, a few disagree though.
S.

kingf000

I normally buy the Jaxons Eternum and it’s fantastic stuff.
I bought a spool of the Crocodile one from eBay to try it, it snapped like cotton and I was refunded, I think it’s old stock, stick with the Eternum mine has always been fantastic, a few disagree though.
S.
Many thanks. I've just ordered the 0.16mm 5kg and I'll try it on my local lake where I usually use 0.16mm grand max.

Mrtrout

What's Eturnum like ,??? I've never heard of it... ( fluro or nylon)
Hi Rob, I love it, the 4kg is only 0.14 you get 150 mtrs on a spool and I get it from Dave Downey in the UK.
75968AD1-464C-4D38-8D42-74D018696AF3.jpeg

kingf000

Mrtrout

Yes, it is £7.50 from fly fishing world with postage, but £4.29 on ebay from baitsworld

That’s a good find king, only available from Germany on eBay before with postage costs of £14.
When you get it wrap it around both hands and pull on it, if it’s good it will just about cut your hands before breaking.
S.

micka

That’s a good find king, only available from Germany on eBay before with postage costs of £14.
When you get it wrap it around both hands and pull on it, if it’s good it will just about cut your hands before breaking.
S.
Thanks for that Steven and king just ordered some.

Mick

kingf000

Going to try it - ordered some myself....Dave Downie doesn't sell rubbish ...

Cheers Guys
Interesting, he says his favourite is 0.16mm for nymphing in, I assume, rivers: yet with stroft and grand max I never use larger than 0.14 and I catch wild trout up to 3lb in fast water. Above that fish weight I do go up to 0.16. He does go on to say he doesn't recommend it for stillwater use due to the savage takes!

wobbly face

I've had 2 lots of the Eternum in 0.10, 0.12 and 0.14. All ended up the same way, IN THE BIN!!! Initially worked fine, after only a few months it just snapped when pulling knots tight. Just glad it was when pulling knots and not with a fish on.

Mrtrout

I use it on rivers the 0.14 but I have caught rainbows to 4lbs on stillwaters with it and last year I had a PB brownie of 5lbs 8 ozs on it which gave me a hell of a fight for ten minutes, hence why I trust it.
S.

Mrtrout

Ahh well I may have just wasted £4.29 then....

Still I can use it for course fishing or something ..

Who knows I may like it...
It’ll be fine for you Rob, it’s nice and supple with little memory.
Just test it first with the hand pull, all I’ve had from Dave has been perfect.
S.

Rob Edmunds

Well the Jaxon Eternum " fish up to 5kg" tippett material arrived yesterday, while I was out fishing so I haven't actually used it as such.

But this morning I've been tying a few leaders ( with droppers) at the breakfast table and testing it of sorts in my hands, pulling it etc ...

First Impressions......I'm pleasantly surprised, it actually seems good.

It's a Nylon, ( not flurocarbon) so I will personally only use it when my flies are required to be in the top 3ft.

It's very thin, supple and the knot strength is excellent.......just give it a good stretch once the leader is tied and it stays nice and straight.

Looking forward for using it on the bank......but at this stage I'm really rather impressed, seems ideal for small nymphs/emergers/dries

micka

Well the Jaxon Eternum " fish up to 5kg" tippett material arrived yesterday, while I was out fishing so I haven't actually used it as such.

But this morning I've been tying a few leaders ( with droppers) at the breakfast table and testing it of sorts in my hands, pulling it etc ...

First Impressions......I'm pleasantly surprised, it actually seems good.

It's a Nylon, ( not flurocarbon) so I will personally only use it when my flies are required to be in the top 3ft.

It's very thin, supple and the knot strength is excellent.......just give it a good stretch once the leader is tied and it stays nice and straight.

Looking forward for using it on the bank......but at this stage I'm really rather impressed, seems ideal for small nymphs/emergers/dries
Mine arrived at the week-end. Couldn't agree more. Just what I've been looking for, especially for my river fishing. Takes knots without any pig-tailing, droppers stand out yet it is still supple. Have tried snapping it (I bought the 1.6mm 5kg) and it was cutting into my hands rather than giving way. Brilliant value - what more can I say....

Thanks so much for the recommendation Steven - I'll be telling my mates about it for sure. Dying to try it on the grayling but Covid restrictions and heavy rain tomorrow may mean that has to wait for a while.

Mick

kingf000

Does anyone know if Jaxon Eternum and Jaxon crocodile are different, or just a different name? Both are fluorocarbon-coated nylon and both have exactly the same strength rating. Just a slightly different colour?