John Campbell & Tom Tickler.

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
A couple tied over the last few days, John Campbell (Wright) and Tom Tickler (Tolfrey Select No.14), size 3/0 and 1/0 respectively. The JC is in the more modern style while the TT is in an earlier style.

Tail - GP topping.
Tag - oval silver tinsel and orange floss.
Butt - Ostrich herl.
Body - black floss.
Ribs - oval silver tinsel and flat silver tinsel.
Hackle - black cock hackle.
Throat - orange cock hackle.
Wings - GP tippets, dark Bustard, light Bustard, Florican Bustard, GP tail, Goose dyed yellow, Teal, Bronze Mallard & GP topping over.
Cheeks - Blue Chatterer (subbed with Kingfisher).
Horns - blue and yellow Macaw.

Tail - GP topping.
Tag - oval silver tinsel and light blue floss.
Butt - Ostrich herl.
Body - yellow floss with red wool at shoulder.
Ribs - flat gold tinsel.
Hackle - red cock hackle.
Throat - Guinea Fowl.
Wings - GP tippets in strands, GP tail, Bustard, Guinea Fowl, Teal, Goose dyed green and red, Bronze Mallard.
Cheeks - Kingfisher.
Horns - blue & yellow Macaw.
Head - Ostrich herl.​

Thanks for looking.

cheers

mark

tj hooker

Beautiful tying Mark love them both your Tom Tickler screams fish me for all the lovely married wings the profile and colours of that fly it just looks so fishable there has been some lovely versions of the pattern on Facebook none any better than that I’ll just look forward to the day when I might join in with something half as nice

baca157

Beautifully tied Mark. The wing on that Tom Tickler is spectacular.

Is that a married wing or a build one on the John Campbell? Also, did you put a crease in the topping just after the wing hump to reduce the curve and flare it up so nicely?

Cheers,
Sebastian

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

wingman

Beautiful tying Mark love them both your Tom Tickler screams fish me for all the lovely married wings the profile and colours of that fly it just looks so fishable there has been some lovely versions of the pattern on Facebook none any better than that I’ll just look forward to the day when I might join in with something half as nice

Thanks Grahame for the kind words there. Yes I was aware of the ones on Facebook recently and some real crackers among them. You easily have the skill set to tie flies like this it's just that the concepts are slightly different and technically more difficult to master but it comes with practice and the more flies you tie the more confident you get with the techniques.

Beautifully tied Mark. The wing on that Tom Tickler is spectacular.

Is that a married wing or a build one on the John Campbell? Also, did you put a crease in the topping just after the wing hump to reduce the curve and flare it up so nicely?

Cheers,
Sebastian

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Thanks Sebastian yes it's just a regular married wing for a change. I just shaped the topping a bit at the front of the wing in order to get it around the hump of the wing. I gave it some cascade by nicking along the topside of the topping stem with my thumbnail and if I overdo it I just nick along the underside which reverses the effect. As I've mentioned before with married wings the wing topping doesn't have to meet the tail topping but I decided to do it with this fly as it kind of balances things out better as a whole.

arkle

I may have missed your post about the "Gordon Ranger" Mark. but was wondering if it might have been a "Golden" Ranger ?

+ some fine "mini-humping" (of the bronze mallard), going on there, with the J.C. as well as all the usual stuff you're getting notorious for

wingman

I may have missed your post about the "Gordon Ranger" Mark. but was wondering if it might have been a "Golden" Ranger ?

+ some fine "mini-humping" (of the bronze mallard), going on there, with the J.C. as well as all the usual stuff you're getting notorious for

Thanks John you must have been laying low for a while. I took the dressing for the Gordon Ranger out of the Grewcock & Carne bible which also has three dressings for a Gold Ranger (couldn't find a Golden Ranger) but none of them looked anywhere near it. The body and hackles and Peacock herl suggest a connection with the Gordon so I was assuming it was a spin-off from that. Yes the Bronze Mallard on the John Campbell was put on using a technique I was hoping to show in an SBS once I work out the logistics of trying to take pics while using the camera held in my mouth and operating the focus switch with my front right incisor, point and shoot and hope for the best :eek:and I thought tying flies was difficult.:D