Just a quick note

SNOWBANDIT

Have joined so I can find some nice "easy" fishing spots for my young lad and to catch up on things.

For many years just fished the Thames ( coarse) - but growing up in a small village through which the River Test was a major part of my childhood - I always vowed one day to fish it.
However I knew I would never do this bucket list option if I didn't get with the Fly Fishing side of things!
I bought a book and some kit - and sort of taught myself to cast( which is a story in itself).

Did some lakes far enough away I could embarrass myself with consummate ease ( I think just North of Aberdeen at midnight sufficed).

Having got to an OK level - life got in the way.

Here we are - so many years later.
The lad has been going stir crazy during this Batflu panic - stuck in his room with PC. So have bought a boat load of coarse fishing stuff to get him in the great outdoors.
I thought to start with coarse fishing as an introduction.
While walking through the tackle shop - I just thought - WOW!! I am so out of the loop with regards kit and bait.

We've done a couple of local ( Wiltshire) lakes so far. He's going to have to learn the patience side of things.
When I get more settled I'm definitely going to buy another fly rod and get that bucket list item ticked.

noel

Welcome to the forum , it is not all about the fly there is a good coarse fishing thread to have a look and read through.

GEK79

Have joined so I can find some nice "easy" fishing spots for my young lad and to catch up on things.

For many years just fished the Thames ( coarse) - but growing up in a small village through which the River Test was a major part of my childhood - I always vowed one day to fish it.
However I knew I would never do this bucket list option if I didn't get with the Fly Fishing side of things!
I bought a book and some kit - and sort of taught myself to cast( which is a story in itself).

Did some lakes far enough away I could embarrass myself with consummate ease ( I think just North of Aberdeen at midnight sufficed).

Having got to an OK level - life got in the way.

Here we are - so many years later.
The lad has been going stir crazy during this Batflu panic - stuck in his room with PC. So have bought a boat load of coarse fishing stuff to get him in the great outdoors.
I thought to start with coarse fishing as an introduction.
While walking through the tackle shop - I just thought - WOW!! I am so out of the loop with regards kit and bait.

We've done a couple of local ( Wiltshire) lakes so far. He's going to have to learn the patience side of things.
When I get more settled I'm definitely going to buy another fly rod and get that bucket list item ticked.
Welcome as Noel said there is a course forum too.. Also the chance of some sea fishing depending on location.. Alot of genuine anglers here who will help you both on your journey.. Good luck..

Last edited:

SNOWBANDIT

Thanks folks.
I forgot about my Sea Fishing forays ( pun intended) - last trip was off the Needles with my much loved and now departed big brother. The sea was, lets say pretty choppy.
Everyone was heaving over the sides with gusto - some of which blew into the boat - oh such slip n slide fun.
Everyone that is except my good self and my brother - oh how we laffed.
We had gotten some sea legs after spending as much time as had growing up on pops various boats.
So the Thames isn't exactly the Atlantic -However I guess the gentle bobbing over time had done it's job - a kind of immunity.

wobbly face

Welcome to the forum.
I'm not really into sea fishing but have been several times out on a boat through work, can't beat getting paid to go fishing. :) Luckily I do have sea legs. :sick: I've done all the coarse fishing but it was only going on holiday in Scotland that I got into fly fishing, that is now 40 years ago. I'm really enjoying fishing rivers. Despite 40 years fly fishing I still get the tangles, tree trout and rock salmon, it's all part of the enjoyment which I hope you and your son will have too. (y)