Justfied?

taffy1

In honesty, is fishing justified by the prices fisheries actually charge? My local river charges about £60 for a full season (approx. 8-10miles of practically both banks), brown trout, salmon & sea run brownies. A local put-&-take charges £3.50 a fish plus £6 to have the privelege of fishing, a 4 fish maximum, then another ticket required, which to me is exceptionally cheap compared to other fisheries in England & Wales.

Last edited:

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
In honesty, is fishing justified by the prices fisheries actually charge? My local river charges about £60 for a full season (approx. 8-10miles of practically both banks), brown trout, salmon & sea run brownies. A local put-&-take charges £3.50 a fish plus £6 to have the privelege of fishing, a 4 fish maximum, then another ticket required, which to me is exceptionally cheap compared to other fisheries in England & Wales.
Your local river does not have to buy in the fish to allow anglers to catch them. They negotiate access agreements with the landowners holding the riparian rights.
The fishery is charging average for 4 fish ticket on same basis.
However, stick a boat on there, and add on running costs by fishery, costs would double.
regards
Bert

ohanzee

Fiver a day, stocked by nature, fish up to a pound and the rare bigger one, stiff walk and a long drive to get there, prepare for bad weather and possible disappointment......

images.jpg

£3.50 a fish plus £6, stocked and maintained for you, fish up to 8lb +, 100 yards from car park and short distance to travel, if it rains you can go home.....

delgatie-fishery-1.jpg

The choice is there, just different convenience/inconvenience levels.

anzac

You may as well ask if a night out on the p*ss is worth the cost -- and the incumbent hangover.

Fishing, yes. Night out for a grog fest complete with hangover, no. But that's just my opinion.

Scotty Mitchell

Compare a days fishing anywhere to 90mins of top flight football.
I very seldom pay over a tenner for a day ticket and my memberships are around £60 for the season.
Fantastic value and if the prices were to even double, I'd still consider it very cheap in comparison.

BobP

You need to consider the bloke running the place. He's not operating a charity and he needs to make a living of sorts. I know some people think that anyone making a profit is somehow obscene, apart from themselves of course, but if the guy owning the place doesn't make a profit and hence a living at least the equal of your own then there won't be a fishery there at all.

Get hold of a fishing magazine from 10 years ago, compare it with one from today and see how many fisheries are no longer open to fly fishing.

PaulD

Fishing costs are simply a reflection of supply and demand. In some parts of the country you can barely walk out the door without falling into a stream or lake that holds a wild trout population and with a low population density of people who want to fish for them. On the other hand we have areas of dense population with few or no 'natural' fisheries and lots of people who want to fish. Where I live, finding a trout in a stream is the equivalent of finding Unicorn poo on the M1. I believe I'm correct when I say that there is one small, river based club (30 members) in Northamptonshire. Local costs reflect this.

Day tickets on Rutland and Grafham are £29 for an 8 fish C&R ticket. Elinor, a smaller 50 acre water charges £25 for a 6 fish C&R ticket. Want to catch a big fish? Lechlade is £70 for a 4 fish, no C&R ticket. Fancy a special day with a friend? Mayfly period on the Test and it would be £411 each.

ejw

Use them or loose them springs to mind. Same applies to tackle shops. I now have to travel 100 mile round trip for a tackle shop and 40 mile to a commercial fishery. No I don't live in the middle of no where, it's just that places have closed. This may get much worse with this pandemic ! Unfortunately due to the distance for tackle shops I have been forced to the the internet for top up materials. Any serious buys where I have to view the product will have to wait until next years BFFI, if it still runs !

Scotty Mitchell

Fishing costs are simply a reflection of supply and demand. In some parts of the country you can barely walk out the door without falling into a stream or lake that holds a wild trout population and with a low population density of people who want to fish for them. On the other hand we have areas of dense population with few or no 'natural' fisheries and lots of people who want to fish. Where I live, finding a trout in a stream is the equivalent of finding Unicorn poo on the M1. I believe I'm correct when I say that there is one small, river based club (30 members) in Northamptonshire. Local costs reflect this.

Day tickets on Rutland and Grafham are £29 for an 8 fish C&R ticket. Elinor, a smaller 50 acre water charges £25 for a 6 fish C&R ticket. Want to catch a big fish? Lechlade is £70 for a 4 fish, no C&R ticket. Fancy a special day with a friend? Mayfly period on the Test and it would be £411 each.
As much as I stand by my previous statement of paying double and still being happy...... £411 is just way too much!

JohnH

I am lucky enough to live in Hampshire and to fish some of the chalkstreams for trout, grayling and coarse fish. But following on from what PaulD says, the county is far from being an unspoiled rural idyll. It sits alongside Kent and Essex as one of the 3 most densely populated non-metropolitan counties in England. Around 10 million people live within an hour's drive of Southampton airport, ie double the population of Scotland. That's not a judgement by the way, merely a statement of fact.

So yes chalkstream fishing is expensive, but demand greatly exceeds supply and the good lord ain't making any more. BobP can probably tell us about the numerous Americans, South Africans, New Zealanders and people from elsewhere who come to fish here in mayfly time. And for some reason, catch and release on small commercial stillwaters in Wessex has simply never caught on to quite the same extent as it has elsewhere so day ticket prices will reflect that.

JohnH

As much as I stand by my previous statement of paying double and still being happy...... £411 is just way too much!
Don't pay it then. A good few chalkstream flyfishers agree with you that the mayfly is over-rated and too expensive. And there seems to be an increasing realisation that the expression duffer's fortnight is wrong because the fishing can be quite tricky and sometimes the trout simply don't want to know. September is known as "the month the locals fish" for a reason - cheaper, more consistent and more challenging fishing...

caeran

Just compare it to the cost of fly fishing equipment and clothing.
Just browsing this site you will come across
£800 Simms Waders
£50 for a thingy to snip line
Flies at £2 a pop
Wading Jackets £400 and upwards
Rods at £150 and up to goodness knows where

So someone could arrive at a fishery wearing a £1000 worth of clothing
Another £1000 worth of rods reels lines and flies - maybe more

Taking that into account £25 seems cheap
And some fishery owners might just think that some folk have too much money so I may as well have some of theirs thanks.

Pointless having all the gear if there’s nowhere to use it.

Support the local fisheries if you can .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobP

JohnH is perfectly right when he states that there won't be anymore chalkstreams made. As it stands England is home to about 85% of all the chalk rivers in the world, and what we haven't got the French have.

This year excepted for obvious reasons there are very large numbers of overseas visitors who want to travel to England for the specific reason of fishing on the Test or Itchen or any of the other chalk rivers and they do it because of the history attached to those waters. People read the books and like to feel they are walking in the footsteps of Halford, Skues, Marryat and others. It seems to me that overseas visitors have a higher regard for what we have to offer than our own people do.

There is a considerable spin-off of course which should not be overlooked. These people come here and need to rent cars and to stay in hotels. They eat meals, visit pubs, go to see our stately homes and buy fishing tackle. Stockbridge in Hampshire these days exists mainly because of the River Test. If that river dried up Stockbridge would die overnight. There are two tackle shops in the High Street in a small town and people on here talk of having to drive many miles to visit just one shop. I would take a fair guess that very few of the various businesses that line the High Street do not rely in quite a large measure upon the fact that there is a famous river in their town that attracts lots of visitors. Take a walk along that High Street in the middle of May and the vast majority of people you will see are anglers and their wives, girlfriends or whatever. While he goes fishing she trawls the shops.

Is it expensive? Yes, I suppose it is to a certain degree. The mayfly season lasts for less that a month so market forces come into play. Numbers on any given beat are limited which drives the cost up. You could, I suppose, have twenty anglers on your mile of river and charge only £50 a day, but you'd only get away with that for a very short time. People like the fact that they can have a day with a few friends on a select stretch of river and not have to fish in a crowd.

BobP

Most fishing is cheap, some is free and some relatively expensive. Market forces, simple as that. No one made a fortune running a fishery.
See my first post on this thread about the number of fisheries that no longer exist. There is a saying, "How to make a small fortune - invest a large one in a trout fishery.

Gerryb

Fiver a day, stocked by nature, fish up to a pound and the rare bigger one, stiff walk and a long drive to get there, prepare for bad weather and possible disappointment......

View attachment 28916

£3.50 a fish plus £6, stocked and maintained for you, fish up to 8lb +, 100 yards from car park and short distance to travel, if it rains you can go home.....

View attachment 28917

The choice is there, just different convenience/inconvenience levels.
You left out the free Midges with the first option :eek:

Most fishing is cheap, some is free and some relatively expensive. Market forces, simple as that. No one made a fortune running a fishery.
This is the truth.After 20 odd years at it,times have really changed over the years and I for one was glad to retire from the long hours for peanuts.It gives me plenty of time to explore and fish waters like this which may not hold monsters that some chase,but the feeling of a fish taking your fly is what its about and who knows what lurks in the margins of deeper waters under banks.Much better in my mind to use stealth,water knowledge and skills on a water than chuck it out under a bung for fish just in and out of the tank.Each to their own.

like thisDSCN8680.jpg

thetrouttickler

Shhhhh....

Paul_B

My local 40 acre puddle is run as a non profit club, I pay just over £100 a year (March to December) and we stock twice a month with hard fighting Kilnsey trout, sometimes more. we can fish everyday but can only take two trout per visit to a max of four a week.
I usually get a complimentary ticket to fish the Tweed at St Boswell but always seem too busy to go :cry: