Justfied?

clag

Hi Snow White,

I know diddly squat about the prices being charged for pheasant shooting.

It would be interesting to know a couple of examples, that may put trout fishing charges into a bit of perspective.

Douglas
If you know where to look a good days’ driven pheasant shooting (200 high birds) is about the same as a day chasing grilse on an icelandic salmon river. The only trout fishing I could think of in that league would be helli fishing in New Zealand.

But before we get too carried away, a day helping a farmer keeping pigeons off his crop or estuary wild fowling might even be cheaper than your trout fishing!

Horses for courses etc

Regards

CLaG

ejw

I used to help run a commercial shoot in the late 80's early 90's and the price then was £16 a bird for a 250 bird day There was also a clicker to count the number of shots, as "some" guests deliberately missed birds, just so they didn't have a big bill at the end of the day or claim that there were not enough birds.
If fisheries charged on this basis, they would close.

loxie

Hi Snow White,

I know diddly squat about the prices being charged for pheasant shooting.

It would be interesting to know a couple of examples, that may put trout fishing charges into a bit of perspective.

Douglas
Next door to me it's C. £3,000 a day per person. There is quite a lot of variety though ranging from £500 to £5000 plus.

Skeletor

Sorry for referring to fly fishing as "the posh end of the sport" in the other thread. I didn't realise it was so competitively priced relative to pheasant shooting on his lordships estate.

Last edited:

JayP

I'm fishing Grafham this Friday on a c&r ticket with a boat, cost is £3.10 an hour so an absolute steal in my book

speytime

Fisheries would be substantially cheaper, if they would stock with a more modest stamp of trout for eg around a pound.

Stillwater anglers have got used to the idea that anything under 2-3lb is small fry.

Yes, I know about the cormorant problem, but even taking that into consideration it would still be a lot cheaper.

It is important to support and keep our stillwater fisheries open. If we don't, the wild trout population would be wiped out within a few years.

Douglas
Without rainbows fisheries I'm not sure I'd be fishing on a regular basis, I do enjoy days/evenings out on the river but what really hooks me is fish that put your heart in your mouth, rainbow, sea trout and salmon and the occasional wbt.
Salmon and sea trout and expensive to fish for, big wbt aren't plentiful so that leaves rainbow trout at 1.5lb upwards and readily available if i can catch them!

I can't see your original post regarding funds, anyway, yes there's balance sheets available with all the financial details, it's not something I'm interested in but they are freely available.

Al

Without rainbows fisheries I'm not sure I'd be fishing on a regular basis, I do enjoy days/evenings out on the river but what really hooks me is fish that put your heart in your mouth, rainbow, sea trout and salmon and the occasional wbt.
Salmon and sea trout and expensive to fish for, big wbt aren't plentiful so that leaves rainbow trout at 1.5lb upwards and readily available if i can catch them!

I can't see your original post regarding funds, anyway, yes there's balance sheets available with all the financial details, it's not something I'm interested in but they are freely available.

Al
Rainbow fisheries are cheap for the angler but expensive for the owner.Years ago there was profit,size of fish stocked were alot smaller and no high expectations for monsters.There were also plenty more anglers around.
As time went on and from a pound fish it has now grown to 2 and 3lb as the norm to monster fish stocked in abundance so chances are anglers will hit a PB on a trip.

So the owners cost have gone up dramaticly,hours put in will range from 14 to 16 hours a day ,7 days a week.If they have staff they need to pay them,insurances,electric,phone,business rates,repairs to roads and fishery and of course rents, the list goes on.Then they need to live also so need to take in alot of money.
The prices for fishing have not increased much in years but cost of feed for fish farms to grow them have and increases cost of buying them in.So anyone feels the cost of fishing a stocked water is expensive, dont even look at becoming a fishery manager.
Glad Im out of it,stress is a killer.

BobP

Driven pheasant shooting on a decent shoot on Berkshire is £45 per bird so for a 250 bird day that's £11250. Normally 8 guns so it's a bit over £1400 per gun. Add to that tip for the keeper, cost of cartridges and travel plus hotel if you stay away and that's £2000.

You will contract for a £250 bird day, and the game cart chaps will collect all the spent cartridges plus the shoot host will carry a clicker to count shots. Between them they are pretty accurate. the shot to kill ration is normally reckoned at 4:1. If you then have 1500 shots and there is only 150 pheasants in the bag at the end of the day you have had a very fair day's shooting. It's not the shoot's fault that you are a lousy shot and can't hit them. If, on the other hand, you have had 500 shots for your 150 birds then it is obvious that for whatever reason the birds were not there then you shouild be entitled to a rebate.

No point deliberately missing unless you are going over the top of the bag and even there most decent shoots allow 10% either way.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line

If you know where to look a good days’ driven pheasant shooting (200 high birds) is about the same as a day chasing grilse on an icelandic salmon river. The only trout fishing I could think of in that league would be helli fishing in New Zealand.

But before we get too carried away, a day helping a farmer keeping pigeons off his crop or estuary wild fowling might even be cheaper than your trout fishing!

Horses for courses etc

Regards

CLaG
Estuary wildfolwing probably cheaper, given the very few cartridges fired.
But decoying the woodies?
Can be a really exciting and expensive day!
100 bird bag of decoyed woodies would, in my case, be around 150 cartridges fired!
regards
Bert