Kamasan b175 s18

pati

Hi

I love the B175 for my nymphs, perfect wire gauge perfect shape and length, very reliable... My issue is it is not available anywhere in size 18 and below :-(

Do you know anything that comes close to it?

Thanks

senegals

How about Kamasan B160
"The Kamasan B160 is, bronze, heavy wire, forged 3x short shank. They have a wide gape and are suitable as buzzer, spider & nymph fly hooks."
Available down to a 16 definitely smaller than B175 16

raphael

B160 does not exist in #18 (excepted I'm mislead).
You can have a try to B405, it is designed for sub surface patterns and there is #18 for that reference.

R

smallmouth

When I fished matches, I used to use the standard eyed B911 a lot, when hair rigging for F1s and Carp.

I can't ever remember one failing and F1s are pretty lively, plus I had carp out to double figures on #18s and #16s.

Nevertheless, I doubt they're as strong as a B175. But there is an X Strong version of the eyed B911.

I'm thinking of trying the standard B911 in #16s & 18s as a spider hook, on account of them being barbless and straight eyed, but not being black nickel.

pati

Thanks SM, not too sure what F1s are but still useful info. Don’t coarse fish have much softer mouth tissue than trout making hook failures somehow less likely? It s a genuine question, I know the brutish power of carps!

How are the B911 in terms of weight against same size b175, how about x strong b911?

Thanks!

smallmouth

I've never used the X strong B911.

F1s are a deliberately bred hybrid between crucian and common carp, they get to around 5lbs or so.

I'd say carp have solid rubbery mouths, so once in, a hook tends to stay in.

For a shortish shank, heavy wire, #16 on the small side, you could look at a B130? It used to be sold by Drennan as "Traditional Wet Fly". It only goes down to #16, but I think it's a small #16.

Over the years I've tied some small bugs and nymphs on the B130 #16, to utilise the short shank and heavy wire, rather than having to apply too much bulk in the form of lead or bigger beads.

roger h 10

Might be worthwhile lokking to see what Lucian's got at Troutline. He keeps a good selection of small hooks or there's always Tiemco 113 BLH.