Keeping it simple - your advice and experience please

codyarrow

Rod
Reel with floater and spool with intermediate.
3LB and 5 LB tippet material
30 flies
Scissor forcep tool
Line degreaser and fly floatant
Hat and sunglasses
Something to drink.
I also carry bog roll - which I thankfully have not needed - but I know some anglers that have.

caeran

Rod
30 flies
Scissor forcep tool
Hat and sunglasses
Something to drink.
I also carry bog roll - which I thankfully have not needed - but I know some anglers that have.
As above except spare spool
Something to drink
And bog roll

The river is 20 metres from my door

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GEK79

Rod
30 flies
Scissor forcep tool
Hat and sunglasses
Something to drink.
That's it.. That's all you need..

shropshire_lad

Rod
30 flies
Scissor forcep tool
Hat and sunglasses
Something to drink.
Watch out, if you get mugged they'll take the bog roll and leave the rest ;)

Jason 70

Rod
30 flies
Scissor forcep tool
Hat and sunglasses
Something to drink.

Most important is the bog roll, I was caught short a few years back and it was dock leaves that saved the moment. My fault I had a heavy night on the Old Peculiar the night before and unloaded as I've seldom done before or after. A real outdoorsman may get on with dock leaves but it's something I would not recommend, ouch.

Apart from that as little as possible, but always have hand sanitizer now after catching a dose of campylobacter the other year from what the quacks think I picked up from infected water while out fishing.

Mies

Most important is the bog roll, I was caught short a few years back and it was dock leaves that saved the moment. My fault I had a heavy night on the Old Peculiar the night before and unloaded as I've seldom done before or after. A real outdoorsman may get on with dock leaves but it's something I would not recommend, ouch.

Apart from that as little as possible, but always have hand sanitizer now after catching a dose of campylobacter the other year from what the quacks think I picked up from infected water while out fishing.
Yep. Been there. Early season fishing and no foliage about. Had to sacrifice a sheepskin patch but you pretty much only get one "swipe"
My boat partner kindly offered a Mars bar wrapper 😱
Not the most comfortable of days.

Cap'n Fishy

Doesn't look like a great day for the wets, Cap'n.
And that's why we carry the kitchen sink with us. Had 3 sea trout on dry fly on a calm morning on Hope, this being the biggest...

Other times it's the dap that's working, so you need to be able to adapt to the conditions... which requires different gear. Then you have the boat seats, the outboards - petrol and electric - the fuel and batteries... and battery chargers, and the waders for getting launched... and all the rest of it. If you've been doing it all your life, you think nothing of it. 😜

Col

Cap'n Fishy

I have had occasion to resort to dock leaves, and on one occasion, bracken. I really can't endorse bracken. It's worse than Izal. 🤪

One tip for al fresco ablutionists... if you are wearing chest waders during the operation, be careful about the placement of the shoulder straps. That's a cleaning job I don't want to have to do again. 😜

Col

JayP

I'll be the first to admit, I have hardly embraced minimalism in my life. My hobbies, fishing, audio, bikes, photography, have been weighed down by the amount of gear I have acquired. At various points, I must have had around 20 fishing rods, a similar number of reels, 10 bikes and 30 record players.

The problem this has created, for me at least, is you can focus more on the gear than the pursuit and can end up not seeing the wood for the trees. Which bike do I use today?

I have barely fly fished for the last 20 years and sold most of my gear thinking I'd never take it up again. A mistake but also an opportunity. I now have the chance to take a simpler, back to basics approach. I have re-equipped myself with a couple of rods, one reel, a couple of lines, and some flies I kept and kind folk on here provided me with.

What I'd like to hear is any stories from FFF members about how they have stripped things back to basics. For example, I have heard rumours that @ohanzee roams highland lochs with just a few flies in his box and @noddy299 tied me a few flies recently telling me they are pretty much all he uses. Similarly, does anyone just fish with one rod and one line for most things?

I'll be the first to admit a major part of fly fishing is the allure and history of the tackle which is quite frankly often beautiful. So, I imagine many have lofts stuffed with gear which I find totally understandable. However, any stories about taking a minimalist or back to basics approach would be most welcome and hopefully guide me on my reawakened adventure :)
It was simple then it got complicated, where do you plan to fish SL?

Vermontdrifter

I don’t boat fish so it’s one rod and reel, a lanyard with a small fly box, two reels of tippet, forceps, rubber band, CDC oil, and the smallest size Swiss Army knife. In one pocket will be a metal sweets can with larger, bushy flies that would be crushed in the fly box and I will always carry a net of some kind, pan when wading and handled when I have to fish from the bank.

shropshire_lad

It was simple then it got complicated, where do you plan to fish SL?
Hi JP, in many ways my ideal fishing will be rediscovering the places of my youth, mainly lakes in North Wales where I had some fine times. I did get out there for a week last year but this year it looks unlikely owing to the pressure on bookings, etc. I'd rather avoid places if they are going to be crowded, not because of Covid but it's the tranquility I'm seeking.

I live in Reading and am hoping to get a day out on Farmoor this coming week, the weather having cooled down a bit. It's a concrete bowl but set in nice countryside and a good fishery although, to date, I have not had much success there.

shropshire_lad

I did a Geology degree way back in time. A key part of that was a mapping project where students went out and geologically mapped an area for 6 weeks or so, usually somewhere pretty remote in Wales, Scotland or abroad. One lad I knew produced a map with star markers on it for locations where he had done "field logs" :eek:

One interesting thing I have noticed, if you do have a field log and happen to return to the place a day or two later there's often not much left. Presumably wild animals and insects make short work of it. Probably the natural way but maybe not recommended for the general populace on our crowded isle.

Moving swiftly on....... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

BobP

One thing I would hate to happen is to be 35 miles from home and break a rod or drop a reel and damage it.

So my tackle load for a session at Farmoor would be two rods so that I can continue to fish if disaster strikes; a spare reel holding a WF5 as well as the one I intend using. A third reel holding a WF4 in case I decided to use my spare rod instead of the favourite. There will be a reel holding a WF6 fast intermediate and one holding a WF7 DI3. A box holding about 250 buzzers, a small box holding a mix of lures and one box of dries. 3 spools of mono in 9.9lb, 7.5lb and 6.1lb. That lot goes in my rucksack along with food and a flask.

The fishing waistcoat holds the rest, eg floatants, scissors, forceps, snips, and spare leaders that usually get used on the river but I can't be bothered to take them out when fishing the reservoir. This lot suits my style of fishing and I wouldn't feel comfortable without any of it.