Keeping it simple - your advice and experience please

shropshire_lad

Anyway, I'm finally off fishing today to Farmoor. So much for keeping it simple. Bob's advice has me taking 2 rods, then I spent a few hours yesterday thinking about the peripherals, paracetamol, piriteze, sun block, bog roll......Still not made my lunch. The car boot is going to be full! :oops:

I guess one should also take spare clothes but no time for that. In my youth I cycled to a canal about 10 miles from home in spring. I lost my balance on the towpath and fell in, bike on top of me. Fortunately, it was only about a foot deep at the sides. Still, cycling back 10 miles in cold weather saturated was not much fun :(

shropshire_lad

Wading comes into it's own at night on rivers, simply because it reduces the size of silhouette the angler presents to a quarry, standing high on a riverbank, even in darkness, will put a fish down due to any form of silhouette. How come though are heron & such like wading birds successful?
Gosh, compare me wading to a heron, there is no comparison. I'm crashing around, slipping on rocks, etc. Wading birds barely send out a ripple and have a slim profile.

icaughtafishonce

Cause most of my fishing is at the river a mile from my house, it's pretty easy for me not to take much. One rod and reel. Flies, tippet, nippers, forceps and sinkant. The various licences. Phone, inhaler and keys. That's about it. It all fits in one small 'molle' style bag. A few bits are clipped on to the outside of that. It all clips on to a couple of D rings on the top of my chest waders. Oh yeah, cap and polarised sunglasses to fit over my 'normal' specs. I keep meaning to get a walking stick for wading, but I found a handy stick a while back and I keep using that now.

Jeltz

My fly gear is well organised, it all fits into a sling pack or a vest. The net clips on the pack, waders go on the feet, hat and glasses worn permanently, good to go at a moments notice. My coarse fishing gear otoh is all over the place, takes hours to get ready, it has even stopped me going fishing on a few occasions. Nothing like turning up at a venue only to discover you have still forgotten something critical.:D