Kingfisher Butcher

tj hooker

Off work so nothing better to be at a beautiful pattern a very soft wing though.
IMG_20210614_215901_edit_32005091270636.jpg

The Endrick Spider

Off work so nothing better to be at a beautiful pattern a very soft wing though.
View attachment 40230
The Silver Butcher, Kingfisher Butcher and the Hardy's Gold Butcher, they are flies that you do not hear much about these days. Looking back to the time when I first started fly fishing, (1958) when fishing the Scottish lochs, at the start of the season our cast of 3 flies would be a Peter Ross on the point, Alexandra middle dropper and a Butcher on the bob. Another fly that was commonly used at the start was a Woodcock & Mixed, yet another fly that has fell out of favour. The Alexandra was first called the 'Lady of the Lake' and the Butcher's first name was 'Moon's Fly'. If anglers were to use these flies more often, (including myself) they would once again become as popular as what they were in the 1950;s and 60's before all these modern-day flies came on the market. It stands to reason that fly patterns that have lasted for over 100 years do not suddenly become failures.

tj hooker

The Silver Butcher, Kingfisher Butcher and the Hardy's Gold Butcher, they are flies that you do not hear much about these days. Looking back to the time when I first started fly fishing, (1958) when fishing the Scottish lochs, at the start of the season our cast of 3 flies would be a Peter Ross on the point, Alexandra middle dropper and a Butcher on the bob. Another fly that was commonly used at the start was a Woodcock & Mixed, yet another fly that has fell out of favour. The Alexandra was first called the 'Lady of the Lake' and the Butcher's first name was 'Moon's Fly'. If anglers were to use these flies more often, (including myself) they would once again become as popular as what they were in the 1950;s and 60's before all these modern-day flies came on the market. It stands to reason that fly patterns that have lasted for over 100 years do not suddenly become failures.
Thanks for that wonderful reply Endrick a great insight from your experience I absolutely love tying the old wet flys with wing slips I suppose things go in circles it would be great to see the older flys make a come back because as you rightly say they are still fish catchers today and just victims of fashion I don't think I've seen a Hardy"s gold Butcher so I'm going to have a Google love the name.

The Endrick Spider

Thanks for that wonderful reply Endrick a great insight from your experience I absolutely love tying the old wet flys with wing slips I suppose things go in circles it would be great to see the older flys make a come back because as you rightly say they are still fish catchers today and just victims of fashion I don't think I've seen a Hardy"s gold Butcher so I'm going to have a Google love the name.
I have done very well this year with a Teal & Black size 14 which is another very old pattern. The Teal and Green is another good old fly fished on the point in amongst the weeds.