kingsmill

ackroyd

Not sure I know what you mean by "headwreck", doobrysnatcher, but sorry if I seem rather clueless. If you mean that you find tying in crests difficult, may I suggest you flatten the butt with a pair of long-nosed pliers and give it a little tweak so that it sits at an angle to the main body of the crest. That's how classic salmon fly dressers prepare crests. Sorry if you know that already. Just trying to help.

doobrysnatcher

Not sure I know what you mean by "headwreck", doobrysnatcher, but sorry if I seem rather clueless. If you mean that you find tying in crests difficult, may I suggest you flatten the butt with a pair of long-nosed pliers and give it a little tweak so that it sits at an angle to the main body of the crest. That's how classic salmon fly dressers prepare crests. Sorry if you know that already. Just trying to help.
thank you ackroyd i appreciate your input ,and yes i was aware of this technique but i didnt put it to use with the flies upthread , my mistake as im only delving into it now and i took the lazy way out which turned out to be the hard way when trying to add crests to a fly, i know better now not to try and cut corners as its all in the preparation before tying in if you want a symetrical proportionate fly,
with that this is a guide i should of followed if any one is interested

Attachments

doobrysnatcher

^
Totally agree.

Very good those, I would say.
IMO green tags are a tad too long, but that is a totally personal thing.
Damn good.
yes, looking at them now i agree, they should be shorter tags and it seems to be a reoccuring trait in my ties, thanks for highlighting it ,and i will try to improve on it now, as im now aware of it ,do you think i should shorten the tag by not wrapping so many turns or extend the body longer ,i always thought the tag should start approximately around the start of the bend and at the same point start the body

lipslicker

yes, looking at them now i agree, they should be shorter tags and it seems to be a reoccuring trait in my ties, thanks for highlighting it ,and i will try to improve on it now, as im now aware of it ,do you think i should shorten the tag by not wrapping so many turns or extend the body longer ,i always thought the tag should start approximately around the start of the bend and at the same point start the body
I would say a bit of both, but it really was a personal opinion.
If no body else has mentioned it don't necessarily listen to me. Plenty more experienced fly tiers on here.