Knot for hook bend to fly (Kline and dink)

kenyanscott

Hi guys

I’m trying to work out what is the best knot for this.

I’m paranoid that with barbless hooks the line will just fall off the hook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCP

Attach sunk pattern to hook eye of the Klink or put a dropper just above the hook eye when fishing barbless.Alternative is to tie in a tippet ring on the Klink just above the bend as in previous post.Fulling Mill sell them made up for just this purpose.No need for paranoia it WILL slide off.Not every time but sure as hell when you do not need it to.Dynamic Duo | Eat, Sleep, Fishhttps://eat-sleep-fish.co.uk/content/2017/07/dynamic-duo
JP

wobbly face

It isn't the knot, it's the shape of the hook's bend.
As doodry posted, get flies with micro rings at the butt then no worries over shape of hook's bend.
I was going to mention using jig hooks but JCP beat me. :thumbs:

Last edited:

heathenwoods

I'll second, third, whatever the recommendation for klinks with tippet rings tied on. I've just had a week in Wales where I gave them a go - I got talked into trying them by the fishing guy in my local Orvis. #14 klinks with a ring. I loved them. I had been fishing klink'n'dink with the floating fly (usually a klink) on a shortish dropper but found the ringed klinks much more responsive and my hook up rate on rises to the klink was near enough perfect. I'm going to tie a few up when I decide what to tie the rings on with - probably extra thin wire or a v.fine bit of tippet. I don't think I quite trust thread for the job (nor can I be bothered threading it through the ring).

kenyanscott

From a tying perspective with the tippet rings , I know someone who crimps them on.

I actually don’t know how they do that! But I would imagine a strong line run up the hook and tied in then set with glue and then covered up with dubbing would be a good way to do it?

noddy299

To tie the micro rings on I would probably use locking wire and a set of pliers and then hide the twist tail under the body of the dry. Would only need a couple of turns so it shouldnt add too much weight and there is no chance of it slipping or snapping if tied under the actual pattern of the fly.

Cheers,
Noddy

Mr Notherone

I also like the rings tied into the fly, but to the OP's question I have used the clinch knot and davy on barbless hooks for years and not had the line slip off.

Angus McLeod

I tie in a tippet ring at the rear of my klinks, simply threaded on to a length of mono, doubled back and lashed down tightly to the hook shank. When I reach the point where the body will start, I fold back the open ends of the loop and tie these down, but even that final stage is unnecessary (simply belt and braces).
I use 6lb mono, but the b/s is immaterial so long as it is heavier than the maximum tippet strength you will use. The weakest link, etc.

sagecirca

Hi guys

I’m trying to work out what is the best knot for this.

I’m paranoid that with barbless hooks the line will just fall off the hook?

The only time I ever tie it to the bend of the hook is when winter grayling fishing when there is little chance of something coming for the dry.

I suggest tying your dry off a dropper and therefore having both your dry and nymph capable of taking fish during the trout season, even a short dropper you are wanting to fish the trio (2 nymphs off the dry).

JCP

Have used a snell/uni style knot on barbless Klink hooks which because of wraps is not probe to sliding round the bend.It worked but found other methods better for presentation,less of a fiddle and risk free.

JP

speytime

I think any reliable knot should hold it securely?
If you don't have tippet rings you could ...
Cut the shank from a hook and tie that in for the eye, bait hooks have barbs on the shank facing towards the eye so it would tie in very securely?

Al

Last edited:

JCP

Afraid not Al.Some barbless dry fly hooks like below are more prone to slipping the knot especially a Clinch or Davy.
Milroy_grande.jpg

speytime

Jcp everyday is a school day :thumbs:

OP I've only used the method a handful of times and the nylon,s never moved using a grinner/uni knot.

Al

morayfisher

I use this method from time to time as well and I've never lost anything tied to the bend. (I only I fish barbless).

I am going to try tying the dry on a jig hook though and tie the dropper to the eye of that in case the nylon tied to the bend is hampering hookups.