knot for tippet ring?

parkmoy

What's the best knot to use? I've tried my usual tucked half blood but find that it often slips under pressure from a fish and I end up with the 'curly pigtail', even though it has been tied properly. I never have this problem when using it to attach the fly. I use top quality tippet rings so it's not them that's the problem.

I gave up using them this season and reverted to the 3 turn water knot to attach my tippets but I liked the convenience of the rings. I seem to remember something about a knot which attaches the tippet via a loop through the ring but I can't remember what it is. What do people use?

mrnotherone

I don't use rings for droppers, just one on the end of a tapered leader before attaching the tippet. I've never had a problem with a tucked half blood knot slipping from the ring.

techpad

Yes, grinner or uni knot works every time on Riverge tippet rings. I've never had one pull undone.

skyeman1

Another vote for uniknot. Twice through the ring though, never had a knot slip.

lee71

If 4lb or more standard mono I do a 4 turn untucked half blood knot and same with flies, try it and it don't seem to slip as much as the tucked one, if less/thinner I just do more ( 5/6 ) turns.:thumbs:

baztek1

What's the best knot to use? I've tried my usual tucked half blood but find that it often slips under pressure from a fish and I end up with the 'curly pigtail', even though it has been tied properly. I never have this problem when using it to attach the fly. I use top quality tippet rings so it's not them that's the problem.

I gave up using them this season and reverted to the 3 turn water knot to attach my tippets but I liked the convenience of the rings. I seem to remember something about a knot which attaches the tippet via a loop through the ring but I can't remember what it is. What do people use?
your normal half tucked should work fine, there is no difference between the eye of a fly and a tippet ring they are both just metal rings.

what you could try is before tying your half tucked blood put a piece if mono through the tippet ring and double over, this will give you something to use to pull against the knot you make and will help tighten it down.

if you can tie on a fly with a half tucked blood you can tie on a tippet ring.

sofasurfer

Using a ring requires two knots, a bad approach. Just tie your tippet to the leader. One knot, simple.

BobP

Apart from agreeing with sofasurfer regarding the number of knots, I do admit that tippet rings have one distinct advantage in that their use preserves the overall length of the main leader if you need to change tippets several times.

There is a very good piece re knots in Trout & Salmon in what they call the Autumn issue. I use the 5 turn tucked half blood knot, and just by altering the way I tighten the knot down I have all but eliminated slippages. Worth a read.

parkmoy

Thanks guys. I know that if I tie flies on OK with the tucked half blood it should work for the tippet ring but I've lost fish with it on a tippet ring so something is not right. I'l try some of the other recommendations and also see if I can get the mag with the article BobP recommends.
I agree that one knot is better than two but it is convenient being able to change tippet whenever I want without shortening the leader. It's surprising how quickly it gets shortened when using 3 turn water knots.

BobP

parkmoy,

If you can't get the magazine all that the author of the piece recommends is that once the five turns and the tuck have been done, they need to be lubricated and then holding the standing end in your hand and the tag end between finger & thumb draw the knot slowly tight away from the hook. When that is done lubricate again and draw the knot steadily down to the hook eye. Snip off and away you go.

I've been tying the knot this way for a couple of months now having flirted with the Davy Knot and the Orvis knot. Somehow, when the chips are down, I keep coming back to the 5 turn THB.

Graham Bowers

I've not used tippet rings yet, but intend to try some. My favourite knot for hooks and swivels is the Palomar because it's a very strong knot and I find it easy to tie. I have conducted my own strength tests for the hooks, swivels and lines I use so I'm not just repeating what others say.

The Uni knot gets a good write up. My own tests on the Palomar and Orvis knots agreed with Saltstring's findings, so I have confidence in his results for the Uni.
Best Fishing Knot for Leader to Hook Connection [Snug Style] >> Salt Strong Fishing

Graham Bowers

Using a ring requires two knots, a bad approach. Just tie your tippet to the leader. One knot, simple.
I can see why two knots could be seen as a bad thing if a single knot could do the same job. My own findings are that snug knots such as Palomar or Orvis are considerably stronger than mono-to mono knots. When joining 8 lb to 7 lb line (not a fly fishing application) I found a 4 turn Surgeons knot broke at 4.4 lb. A swivel with 2 Palomars was 6 lb. I guess this only matters if you have selected line strengths for a target species but have the possibility of inadvertantly hooking a much larger fish than target.

PS Just noticed this is a bit of a thread resurrection, but soembody may find the information useful.

BobP

I re-read that article a few days ago just out of interest. I've done 46 days guiding so far this season using the 5/6 turn tucked half blood knot on tippet rings and hooks with no slippages. It is a rare day that tippets and/or flies don't get changed at least a dozen times, so that's rather a lot of knot tying!

The key indicator is how the knot looks when it is tightened up which MUST be done slowly. I inch mine along between finger & thumb which seems to work well. When the knot is snugged down the tag end should stand out from the knot at right angles or near enough. That tells you the knot is properly formed.

JCP

Think as mentioned number of turns is critical for half blood and as is setting the knot under some pressure to ensure it is not slipping.Have to remember can undo a half blood by stroking away from the knot so needs to have due diligence when tying it.Peronally have found the Davy knot to be adequate but again have to ensure the tag stays at right angles as the knot is set.In my experience it will slip when pulled if set incorrectly.Uni-Grinner bulletproof but can be bulky on a tiny ring x 3.As pointed out ring needs to have an anchor albeit a safety pin/paper clip/mono or one of Mr Trout's furlies to connect properly.

JP

mrnotherone

.As pointed out ring needs to have an anchor albeit a safety pin/paper clip/mono or one of Mr Trout's furlies to connect properly.JP
I think that is a critical point, you need an anchor to secure good knot, whichever one is your preference. I usually pre-tie my tippet rings to leaders at home. A lot easier than messing about with them on the river. I use one of these clips that I keep on a zinger with my nips, although a safety pin will do.

vision-tippet-rings-[2]-988-p.jpg

Latest posts