Ladybower

D

Deleted member 8214

Getting info about mayflies hatching at Ladybower is like trying to get blood out of a stone. :rolleyes:

@HQ

Getting info about mayflies hatching at Ladybower is like trying to get blood out of a stone. :rolleyes:

@HQ
I had a few on mayfly nymphs (eventually) the last time I was there Tommy, as did Ant77. I couldn't say whether this was by design or whether I just got lucky as I didn't see any adults coming off to indicate the nymphs were present.

Last edited:

The Blue Licer

@HQ

Fished up there on sunday Tommy. There were Mayfly coming off up from Grainfoot (normal place) and one or two at the eastern end of Rasberry Bay. Too windy to see fish moving though. When the wind settles they should come well again this year because of the high water.

grainfoot

Been up today and its mayfly time lots of fish in rasberry bay. Caught most on pheasant tail nymph just under surface. Real savage takes, fish must have been swimming around like mad feeding in them. Also had a few on surface with drys letting breeze drift them around.
Get up there quick the hatch doesn't last for long.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

jamesjigus

Sounds promising for a third trip of the season that I have planned for thursday. I biked out to Ladybower on saturday and the conditions looked promising - pretty flat and there were loads of fish rising...looks like the weather will be promising too - settled for a bit. Fingers crossed, will report back here if the trip goes ahead.

grainfoot

Up again today. Couple of fish at millbrook then back to grainfoot as I saw lots rising as driving down to millbrook. From grainfoot all the way down to millbrook lots of fish rising just a few feet from bank. Lots of spent mayfly nymph cases drifting down in the edge.
Caught on pheasant tail nymph again but with faster retrieve as it was brighter and calmer than at raspberry bay yesterday. Lots of fish caught, not seen them rising like this for a while and all day in bright sunlight.

Guest105

Heading to LB next Saturday (11th) with a few from the Leeds FDG as one of our monthly outings.
For me this will be the first time this year as I've been concentrating on rivers for a while.
The weather forecast is for dry with cloud and slight wind, so hoping for a good day on dries.
If anyone from the forum is there, come say hello, it's always good to meet up.

kentru

Had a couple of hours at Raspberry Bay last evening but struggled , dropped a couple of fish each on Mayfly nymphs, the only fish landed took a Daiwl Bach. Plenty of Mayfly about though but no fish taking the dries. Looks like Grainfoot is the place to be.
Ken.

Guest105

A good day at Ladybower today with 5 of the guys from Leeds FDG.
Fish of the day = Dave.
Weight 13.5 lbs. Returned to fight another day.

The fly that did the business.

The Blue Licer

Not been up for a while, recently retired and found myself busier than before.
Went up today and shared a boat with Jim Tuck (Hookup). We had never fished together before (never even met before). When he picked a fish up on the first drift things were looking rosy, along the roadside towards the Ladybower Bay viaduct.
Another fish off the Ashopton viaduct and then over to the middle for a few drifts past the cages. I changed to a floater and Jim stayed on his di5. Action was instant, there seemed to be fish everywhere and eager to have a mouthfull of anything 'popped' across their noses. Had one after several casts with two fish chasing the flies at once. I then had a double hook up with two nice rainbows. Then Jim got a double hook up as the fish dropped down in the water. Very exciting fishing. Jim reckoned we must have had nearly 20 to the boat with a similar amount hooked or lost and we were off for 2 o clock

I must add that Jim beat me but there is always next time.

hookup

First trip for myself and Lee along with H from Bollington to ladybower to meet Steve we were met with a very warm welcome and a cuppa after a bit banter with the Rangers we decided to set off and have a few hours before we met up for lunch at 2 ,my first impression of Ladybower is very picturesque some cracking sport to be had on and with a variety of flies and lines banter was 1st class all day the fish was just a bonus also met up with Geoff the fisheries new owner/manager who has some fantastic plans for this upland reservoir
I would highly recommend this fishery to anyone who has not fished it to give it a swim we will definately be back hopefully sooner than later ,finally a massive thanks to Steve for being an exceptional gillie put and kept me on the fish for the time we spent on the water thanks again

john10001

Can anyone tell me how Ladybower is fishing at the moment and what the costs are to fish there? I've not been able to get on their website as it appears to be down at the moment.

blackmorec

We were up there last weekend. Got there around 09.30 and fished 'til 4.00 . Great venue and super boats and motors

Plenty of fish rising between the cages and dam wall but between us we had 6 takes and 3 fish to the boat all day.

Tried dries, surface, slow and fast inters with 0-20 second sink, slow, fast retrieve and static and every colour you could think of but could not get them interested

Talked to another angler who had more than a dozen between 6.00 and 9.00 then not a single take thereafter.

Must be the noise of all the motorbikes scaring the fish....my hairdresser's explanation, which sounds entirely plausable;).

grainfoot

Good day today, bright little breeze mid afternoon. Not hoping for too much going up to raspberry bay for a few hours.
Casting to rising fish on a daddy had a couple fairly quick one at three pound. Next one broke me , wind knot in line!😁 . Lost a couple more had another, what a brilliant afternoon.

Last edited:

The Blue Licer

Not been around for a while, Salmon fishing and a new kitchen to fit.
It looks as though the fishing is picking up, there were a few double figure fish caught this last weekend. Geoff has arranged a charity open weekend for 24/25 october. The main aim is to raise money for a wheely boat. There is a full rundown on their Facebook site (Ladybower Fisheries). SKB are bringing their reels, lines etc. Orvis are coming, and others. One thing not to be missed....chainsaw sculpting. I for one am looking forwards to that. I can guarantes some good deals on hooks, marabou and fritz.
There is a match on saturday for boats, float tubes and bank fishermen. Tuiton will be available and I will be there, demonstrating the fine art of fly tying, as well as flies from the darkside.
I will post more details about the match but, as usual, things will finish up with sandwich and chips in the Ladybower Inn.
If any of you are goung to the Burton Fly Fair at Uttoxeter, I am tying on the Ladybower stand, come and say Hello.
Steve.

Not been around for a while, Salmon fishing and a new kitchen to fit.
It looks as though the fishing is picking up, there were a few double figure fish caught this last weekend. Geoff has arranged a charity open weekend for 24/25 october. The main aim is to raise money for a wheely boat. There is a full rundown on their Facebook site (Ladybower Fisheries). SKB are bringing their reels, lines etc. Orvis are coming, and others. One thing not to be missed....chainsaw sculpting. I for one am looking forwards to that. I can guarantes some good deals on hooks, marabou and fritz.
There is a match on saturday for boats, float tubes and bank fishermen. Tuiton will be available and I will be there, demonstrating the fine art of fly tying, as well as flies from the darkside.
I will post more details about the match but, as usual, things will finish up with sandwich and chips in the Ladybower Inn.
If any of you are goung to the Burton Fly Fair at Uttoxeter, I am tying on the Ladybower stand, come and say Hello.
Steve.
Here's the blurb chaps! :)

LBOctober2015_zpsqxuzyh6n.jpg

montanajoe

Quite a good turnout and great welcome from the staff at Ladybower.
After a quick update with everyone and a few new faces, the mega breakfast cobs were ready. Bacon, egg, sausages and mushrooms were wolfed down with pleasure.
There is always the chance of a really big double at Ladybower so I wondered what I would do if I hooked one in my tube with my little pan handled net. I had visions of being towed around all over the place. As it transpired I needn’t have worried.

Rich SKB and I were the only mad people to try tubing for the day. We headed off toward the dam wall into a fairly stiff breeze so coming back would be easier. A stop off at the cages brought action for both of us and my first fish on one of Paul’s boobies. After a couple of further offers Rich decided to go over the far side and I chose the roadside. Working up there produced nothing until I hooked one on a big shuggie near the plughole. Rich joined me and we proceeded to have a bit of action here as it seemed there were a few fish. I caught another on the shuggie, a coral blob and the booby. Rich picked up 3 here. The wind then turned through 180 blowing us onto the dam wall. The fish also appeared to go down so we headed further down the lake. I had another few offers and landed one on a Carsington buzzer. Rich paddled all the way down to Ladybower Bay with no joy. Simultaneously we needed to empty our bladders so decided to call it a day. There weren’t too many fish caught altogether but Sue Sissons came in with a monster 12 lb rainbow putting everyone else to shame and winning the competition with best bag and biggest fish. I’m kind of glad I didn’t hook it as it put up a fair scrap by all accounts.

Then it was off to the Ladybower Inn for a beer and food, loads of craic and meeting new folk.

A cracking end to a good day out and we are almost there in funding for the wheely boat.

Iain