Lake of Menteith yesterday...

Cap'n Fishy

I'm out on the lake 4 times in the next 6 days.I'm going to invest in some Ibouprofen gel.:oops::cry:

Jim

I rub a good dollop of that into my wrist, elbow, shoulder and upper arm before I go out for a day's fishing these days. The only bit that is OK is where you get tennis elbow! 🥴

suzuki15hp

I rub a good dollop of that into my wrist, elbow, shoulder and upper arm before I go out for a day's fishing these days. The only bit that is OK is where you get tennis elbow! 🥴
If you haven't already got it Col, get the 4% version of Voltarol on prescription. It's way more effective than the 2% Voltarol you get over the counter. I have the 4% on prescription (branded as Difene) for my osteoarthritis knee and it definitely works, where the 2% doesn't.

esk

If you haven't already got it Col, get the 4% version of Voltarol on prescription. It's way more effective than the 2% Voltarol you get over the counter. I have the 4% on prescription (branded as Difene) for my osteoarthritis knee and it definitely works, where the 2% doesn't.
And Diclofenac tablets are even better but not easy to come by.

Cap'n Fishy

And Diclofenac tablets are even better but not easy to come by.

Thanks. I am not allowed them due to being on Omeprazole and Mebeverine, so I get Co-codamol. Ironically, I was prescribed them for my bad hip, but I don't have that any more, due to getting an artificial hip in March. However, I now need the Co-codamol for my casting arm! I've also got 19 Tramadol left out of the box of 30 the hospital gave me in March - they are for emergency use only! 🥴

Cap'n Fishy

Thanks, I'll look into that. I got the strongest they had in Asda. Just checked and it is 2.32%.

I've also got Solaraze for all my bits of sun-damaged skin, and that is 3% diclofenac gel... I could press that into service... might take the skin off my arm! 🤪

Auld age disny come itsel'... 😟

bignedkelly

Taking my dad out next Friday evening for a shot on the Lake.
Will need to tie up something similar - thanks for posting the video.

cheers

esk

I've also got 19 Tramadol left out of the box of 30 the hospital gave me in March - they are for emergency use only! 🥴
Oh I didn't get on with those at all. They made me feel a bit loopy.

Got them and diclofenac after a shoulder op a few years ago and the Tramadol went in the bin.

Scotty Mitchell

Tramadol went in the bin.
Best place for them!
Just after my 1st back op they were the main course, I couldn’t take even 1 without spewing and feeling shyte in general, I was expected to take somewhere in the region of 8 per day!!
My pain relief has been PRN for years now, Diazepam for spasms and Morphine Slow Release tablets for the real bad days. Thankfully I barely touch any of it finding exercise (walking) to be the absolute daddy of beating back pain.

Cap'n Fishy

Oh I didn't get on with those at all. They made me feel a bit loopy.

Got them and diclofenac after a shoulder op a few years ago and the Tramadol went in the bin.

I have hardly met anyone who has a good word to say about Tramadol. However, I must say I got on fine with them. (y) Took them for the first few days after the hip op - just when I was feeling it a bit. The surgeon said it will feel like you've been kicked by a horse and without ever having been kicked by a horse, I knew exactly what he meant. So, I got through 11 of the box of 30, on top of the 2 or 3 they gave me in hospital. No issues at all, and they did work.

Col

Scotty Mitchell

Tramadol went in the bin.
Best place for them!
Just after my 1st back op they were the main course, I couldn’t take even 1 without spewing and feeling shyte in general, I was expected to take somewhere in the region of 8 per day!!
My pain relief has been PRN for years now, Diazepam for spasms and Morphine Slow Release tablets for the real bad days. Thankfully I barely touch any of it finding exercise (walking) to be the absolute daddy of beating back pain.

bignedkelly

I went out last Friday for an evening session.
Lovely night but a bit bright til around 9.00.
Started on a Di3 with cormorants and a diawl bach.
We tried a drift from Arnmach in to Inchmahone to start - one came out of the water chasing my flies as I lifted off to recast but no takes.
We then drifted from Inchmahone into gateside bay my dad got broken on the take on this drift but still no fish.
Next we drifted from the heronry into roman bay - finally managed one which took on the hang (lesson learned from earlier). My dad got broken again on the take and I discovered that hed been using some old spool of maxima that was God knows how old so we rigged him up with some newer gut.
Tried this drift again and my dad got into one and had his fun with it before it pinged the hook at the net.
Sun was starting to hide behind the hills so switched to a floater and stuck on a rather poor attempt to copy Col's mayfly paraloop. got rigged up and spotted a fish bang on cue, covered it nicely and as soon as the fly touched the water it was on. Cant say how much a quick fish improves your confidence in a fly. Missed another one then it went quiet. Fish seemed to be in wee pods in this area and was pretty hit or miss.
Last hour we headed up to the point of Arnmach were in the calm there were fish showing everywhere.
We drifted slowly here in the light ripple with fish all around us. My dad had another one here and my last one looked like a grilse, real silver, long and lean.

Cracking evenings sport.

Cap'n Fishy

I went out last Friday for an evening session.
Lovely night but a bit bright til around 9.00.
Started on a Di3 with cormorants and a diawl bach.
We tried a drift from Arnmach in to Inchmahone to start - one came out of the water chasing my flies as I lifted off to recast but no takes.
We then drifted from Inchmahone into gateside bay my dad got broken on the take on this drift but still no fish.
Next we drifted from the heronry into roman bay - finally managed one which took on the hang (lesson learned from earlier). My dad got broken again on the take and I discovered that hed been using some old spool of maxima that was God knows how old so we rigged him up with some newer gut.
Tried this drift again and my dad got into one and had his fun with it before it pinged the hook at the net.
Sun was starting to hide behind the hills so switched to a floater and stuck on a rather poor attempt to copy Col's mayfly paraloop. got rigged up and spotted a fish bang on cue, covered it nicely and as soon as the fly touched the water it was on. Cant say how much a quick fish improves your confidence in a fly. Missed another one then it went quiet. Fish seemed to be in wee pods in this area and was pretty hit or miss.
Last hour we headed up to the point of Arnmach were in the calm there were fish showing everywhere.
We drifted slowly here in the light ripple with fish all around us. My dad had another one here and my last one looked like a grilse, real silver, long and lean.

Cracking evenings sport.

Stick with it, Ned. I was out with our club on Sunday's day session, and it was quite hard grafting in conditions to die for. In some spots, I saw the most mayfly spinner so far this year lying on the water, mid-afternoon, with nothing going for it. In other spots, we found a good number of rising fish that were looking at nothing we were offering them. But over the course of the day, we put a bag together. And every fish I had was on the paraloop spinner...

Menteith21Jun21_9344.jpg

A bit of an extreme version of a known phenomenon going on just now...

I normally fish dries as a pair - dropper and tail. I always expect to catch more on the tail than on the dropper, as the dropper is always slightly hampered by the main leader lying close by, which the fish can touch as it takes the fly. But generally, I still expect to get a percentage on the dropper. However, in recent trips to the Lake, I am seeing fish come to the dropper and abort the take almost every time. Every fish I am catching is on the tail. If they are not up for the paraloop spinner, I need to find something else to put on the tail, because putting it on the dropper just results in 'fresh-air shots'.

How queer! :unsure:

Col