Lake Vyrnwy - Updates and Discussion

mike_hayes

Agree with Richfish. However it looks like that one hooked one of those overhanging trees. Had a few of those earlier in the season. :eek:mg:

mike_hayes

Yes indeed. Retrieved a few lost flies in the hot spell when the level was really down. I found about 10 metres of sinking fly line with three rusty flies and my daughter found a landing net that was probably at least 20 years old on on one of the beaches.

Anyway Rich have now got me a Land Rover and was thinking of Claerwen and the Teifi lakes beyond. Any thoughts?

richfish1

Anyway Rich have now got me a Land Rover and was thinking of Claerwen and the Teifi lakes beyond. Any thoughts?

You'll not regret trying Claerwen, as long as the weather is on your side. It's virtually the same flies and style as Vyrnwy, only from the bank. And the fish are of a smaller stamp.
Never fished the Teifi lakes, but have already begun discussions with somebody about a visit next year.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

lukewarm

Teifi Pools would probably have been stocked with Rainbows back then and maybe the experimental stocking of the Brookies too but I maybe a year or two out.
The fishing was dire in the last 3-4 weeks for me up there (Pools , Claerwen and the other lakes) but it could have been the angler!.Actually Claerwen was a right off on much of the northern end as it was empty! :eek:mg: . A local farmer told me the water had been falling about a foot per day for two weeks (late Aug) , it was a no go and dangerous anyway.

mike_hayes

Teifi Pools would probably have been stocked with Rainbows back then and maybe the experimental stocking of the Brookies too but I maybe a year or two out.
The fishing was dire in the last 3-4 weeks for me up there (Pools , Claerwen and the other lakes) but it could have been the angler!.Actually Claerwen was a right off on much of the northern end as it was empty! :eek:mg: . A local farmer told me the water had been falling about a foot per day for two weeks (late Aug) , it was a no go and dangerous anyway.

Thanks for this. Appreciate any advice for the pools as I realy fancy going there.

bobnudd

I've taken the odd trip up the Teifi pools since the mid 80s, and that's the first I've heard about them being stocked with Rainbows and Brookies. My mate and I have never caught any it might have been earlier. I always wonder where the fish breed as there isn't much of a stream running into them. I find Llyn Egant to be the best of the 3 lakes never seem to do any good on Llyn Hir. The main lake Llyn Teifi fishes well on the far side from the road which we access from Llyn Hir. The climb is easy but now as we getting older the climb back up is a bit of hard work. I f you can get up there when the coch y bunddu out the lakes look like stew ponds with fish rising all over. our trip up there this year was tough as it was the hottest day of the, yearView attachment 17145 still managed a couple. Few years back on a every cold July day I had my best fish from thereView attachment 17146. It was the only fish that day and took a heavy pink shrimp skipped a long the bottom of Llyn Egant. Normally a team of traditional wets will do. The pools are one of my favourite places to fish

lukewarm

That's a cracking fish Robert . Pink shrimp! , you'd never put money on it would you lol. There are some (or used to be) cracking specimens in Egnant . You used to see some of them mopping up after a certain hatch or other on sultry June-July evenings porpoise like in the bay at the top end where the stream comes in under the road.

Brookies , have a read - The search for Fontinalis | Eat, Sleep, Fish

The last of the Rainbow stockings was approx' 82-83' . I had my first season ticket there in 82' and we fished Teifi only ... stockie bashing with worm and mepps back then :rolleyes: . If my dates are correct Aberystwyth AA took over the fishing rights for the next 2-3 years after and they stocked the lakes with a silvery type of brown not unlike a Loch Leven strain . The last year they were in charge they stocked Llyn Hir only and that I believe was that as far as stocking goes in T.Pools approx' 1986. Tregaron Angling Club have been in charge since then or soon afterwards.

I park in the Pools and walk to Claerwen and the other far flung lakes (should say Llyn's) around there . Keeps you fit but a careful eye on the weather radar is needed before going as I've been caught once or twice up there coming back in a fog-out and driving rain!

bobnudd

Yes wev'e made that trip across to Claerwen a couple of times. That end of Claerwen seems to hold the better fish

bobnudd

I like the top end of Claerwen , how close to teifi pools can you drive to then?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You used to be able to in a 4x4 but last time we tried they had put a gate across the track. Mind you that was few years back

mike_hayes

Wow. Loads of good info here. Just what I was looking for. Thanks lukewarm and bobnudd. You're not the Bob Nudd; the hero and mentor of my successful competition coarse fishing days 25+ years back?

mike_hayes

Happy new season all.

Having recovered enough from a shoulder injury to finally go fishing I set out yesterday for my first trip of 2019. The water level is about 2 foot down and has recovered well from last years heatwave (or was it from excessive consumption of Bombay Sapphire gin). The weather was quite misty at first with the sun doing it's best to break through for the rest of the day. The temperature was still a bit on the cool side however it was probably warmer than it has been over the past couple of weeks, especially later in the day. There was a good easterly breeze allowing for some perfect parallel to bank drifts.

20190417_141223.jpg

The first hour or so was bad as I was wearing my new varifocals which seemed to make the bank appear further away than it actually was. So after a good bag of willows, a rare silver birch, a specimen oak and some pruning I finally got used to them and the fishing commenced. Fished black flies on the good old DI 3 and a Connemara Black was attracting the most attention. In the afternoon I switched to a new tactic that I thought was worth a try at Vyrnwy. I tried something similar with buzzers last year. This approach involves a very slow retrieved floating line with Snatchers on the droppers and a Goldheaded GRHE on point. It works well for me and also works if you just cast out and let the wind push the boat along. On three occasions there were two fish on one cast. An hour or so before leaving I switched this set up to an intermediate line using a Montana on point and again it worked. Although reading the catch returns it would appear that there has been a number of rainbow trout introduced and I had just stumbled upon a hotspot where they appeared to be "shoaled up". I had four in successive casts from exactly the same place including two at 3 lb but although I enjoyed the sport, it was just a little bit too easy in my view. Anyway, I finished the day with, 21 brownies and 5 rainbows.

All but two of the fish:

Capture20190417_01.JPG

Best flies were Black Snatcher, Claret (Red) Snatcher, Connemara Black. Also Montana, Goldhead GRHE Nymph, Bibio and a Black Dabbler caught at least one fish each. This must be the first time that I did not catch a single fish on a Dunkeld.

The two snatchers:

20190417_145924.jpg

The catch returns seem to feature lots of fish caught with black or black and green flies doing the business.

Hopefully be there again in two weeks time.

Last edited:

richfish1

Well done Mike, sounds like a great day. I'd love a 'Too easy' Day at Vyrnwy, I've had days where it's the complete opposite. Where were you finding the fish?

Respect to all Fly Fishers....

mike_hayes

Well done Mike, sounds like a great day. I'd love a 'Too easy' Day at Vyrnwy, I've had days where it's the complete opposite. Where were you finding the fish?

Respect to all Fly Fishers....

Rich. They were just off the "bird hide" point at the top end.

bobnudd

That a great day I'll have to get up there soon and have ago it's been a couple years since I've been

mike_hayes

There's just something about April sunsets and Lake Vyrnwy . . . . .

20190417_194113.jpg

Quality is a bit blurry but as my wife pointed out there was fish slime on my phone's camera.

cleef

I took a trip to Vyrnwy yesterday, inspired by this thread and others from Mike in the past hoping to catch a few browns.

I had a lovely day but left slightly disappointed. I caught 3 rainbows in the end and missed a few others. We found quite an obvious tight shoal towards the end of the day and could have quite easily picked off rainbows with every drift. At one point I saw 3 following my Bob fly from the depths as a hung it at the end of the retrieve. I was only a bit disappointed because I didn't catch a single brown. I had 1 or 2 bites which I think were brown trout and definitely saw one refuse and swirl at the fly at one point.

I fished mainly with a fast intermediate and changed to a di5 later on which immediatley seemed more successful. I thought the fish were deeper with it being so bright. I was using a 15ft 6lbs Maxima leader with 3 flies, all size 12s. I tried black pennell, bibio, micro straggle dabbler, Kate McLaren and a few other classic wets. Switching to 2 flies later in the day.

Not quite sure what I was doing wrong, I was casting as close as possible to overhanging trees and getting caught up in them on occasion, mainly drifting around the shallow top end on whitegates side. Fairly quick but varied retrieves. I saw other boats doing the same thing and they were definitely picking off the browns.

Anyway I'll definitely be back, it's a lovely place. Only slight gripe was that the second battery for the outboard was totally flat. Would check before setting off next time.

Cheers for all the info here and keep up the rest posts mike!

Steve

edit:

I tried most of this box, apart from the invictas and dunkeld (no idea why), what am I missing? :D

wetflies_jpg.jpg

Last edited:

grayling4

Hi Guys

Me and a mate had a trip out to Vyrnwy on Good Friday. Weather very bright, warm with a decent breeze.

We had lunch after about 3 hours fishing and at that point I hadn't caught anything which is highly unusual. We fished from Whitgetaes all the way down the left shore, past the bird hide and into the corner.

After lunch switched to a black and green tadpole on the point and picked up 5 with quite a few pulls. My mate also had 5 to the boat. We both fished floating lines all day and he was rising fish to small Grey Dusters and Tup's towards the end of the day.

We found that rather than being tucked right under the bank where you would expect to find them, alot of the fish were 10-15ft out from the bank.

One gripe was that straight after lunch the motor gave up and we were on the oars for the rest of the day; no issue on a nice day like we had but wouldn't wanted that to have happened on a choppy and windy day on the opposite side of the boat station!

We're both 'floating line only' fishermen so probably a bit early yet for that time of year (that's my excuse anyway!) Looking to get back mid/late June which is when I think it fishes best.