Laser Fly Rods from Sportfish in Bridge Sollars

DoctorFly

My first carbon rod, bought from Sportfish (Philip Parkinson era) in Bridge Sollars, was a Laser (or Lazer) 9ft 5/6 weight.

It was apparently a Japanese blank made for the American market, and very advanced for the time (mid 1980s). There was no shop, just a room in a big house, and I came away with a couple of free lines and free vouchers.

Does anyone know the history of the rods and blanks?

Cheers,

Andy

DoctorFly

My first carbon rod, bought from Sportfish (Philip Parkinson era) in Bridge Sollars, was a Laser (or Lazer) 9ft 5/6 weight.

It was apparently a Japanese blank made for the American market, and very advanced for the time (mid 1980s). There was no shop, just a room in a big house, and I came away with a couple of free lines and free vouchers.

Does anyone know the history of the rods and blanks?

Cheers,

Andy
My mistake - it was Tacklemarket not Sportfish! I don't know if Philip Parkinson had anything to do with it. Doh!

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
My mistake - it was Tacklemarket not Sportfish! I don't know if Philip Parkinson had anything to do with it. Doh!
You might have been right on the Parkinson front too though.
I bought a lazer 11' # 7 way back then (early 80's) too, still have it, its a bleedyn heavy piece of kit compared to to-days offerings.
Pretty sure it was from one of the Parkinson fledgeling companies, might have been sportfish.
Only know it was Parkinson because I then tried to buy another new product from his company, was a Ventile jacket.
They (he), could not supply the size required, even though the advertising blurb said they could, ended up sending a size too small, resulted in cancelled order.
Was a bad deal for him, because I was looking to purchase several to give to my outdoor staff at the time!