Le Tour de France

BobP

I watched some of this today. I like to have a look at it when they get into the Alps as I love alpine country. Something to do with my Austrian heritage I suppose.

I'm not too bothered about the actual race, though it is good to see a couple of Brits well up in the hunt. There was a lot of snow high up in the French Alps & some great shots of Mont Blanc. Several nice trouty streams tumbling down which reminded me very much of where I caught my first trout a good few centuries ago.

Another day in the mountains tomorrow so I'll have to put aside an hour or so to watch.

beryl

I’m a fanboy of the tour. Just started to get interesting. The current leader knows he won’t be tomorrow. Sky are millimetre perfect as usual....

nymphist

The scenery up in the mountains screams trout country, but the actual race seems to be for the asthmatics :rolleyes:

delray

Remarkable athletes. Just getting to grips with the tactics of the thing, although still mystified by breakaway groups on the flatter stages who invariably seem to be caught.
Re Sky; are they going to allow Thomas and Froome to compete for the General Class. title? Thomas looks good, says he feels good, but apparently has a history of falling off!
I can only watch the highlights on ITV4 but to my mind brilliant viewing of super humans doing their thing.
Oh yeah; and the scenery in the mountains is just beautiful.
Del

nymphist

I am a Nibali fan since the time before he won his first grand tour, not the strongest rider but a very smart one:cool: and of course there is the remarkable Peter Sagan for the non climbing days.

boisker

An outstanding finish... and great to see Thomas win... I reckon Froome probably still favourite though, he has the experience to manage his power output all the way to Paris and not over do it... penultimate stage is an individual time trial, looking like that could very well settle it..

boisker

Yeah it’s a real shame. You didn’t used to get that behaviour in cycling it seems to have attracted some real idiots... nibali getting dumped, Froome at least twice getting wacked in the back / side and all the booing... the morons should all p!ss orf and watch Wendy ball!!

beryl

Geraint may not have the legs for three weeks but, as he said, he has had a magic tour. You can’t not like him either...

- - - Updated - - -

Just joined NATO too. Sunny and safe too... some funny adverts in the middle of posts:)

Last edited:

beryl

After today’s stage you have to bet on Geraint I’m thinking?

boisker

Yup... just gotta hope he doesn’t have any machanical issues or ‘fall’ off... it would be good if he could sneak a few more seconds on the final mountain stage from Dumoulin, he may be 1.59 s behind but he’s also the world time trial champion... an exciting last few days...

beryl

Today was wallpaper with so many of the top sprinters eliminated ( a moan in itself)but surprized they kept such a high tempo. Me? I turn it on even if I’m only watching half-heartedly. But with the number of road cyclists we have now holding up the nation’s motorists until they can get back to their own cars I doubt ITV needs my support.

Rain on the last few miles is possible tomorrow.... fifty mph crash whilst wearing little more than a shirt an shorts anyone?

beryl

Nice gesture that ‘g’ eased off in the last sector to gift Froome a stage even though it went to Tomelon after some computer stuff. Froome was never quite English having been brought up in South Africa. But a Welshman will warm the hearts of those that think think in a certain way. Myself? I think he is a genuine salt of the earth.... unless he goes to Monaco as a tax exile ....

- - - Updated - - -

Nice gesture that ‘g’ eased off in the last sector to gift Froome a stage even though it went to Tomelon after some computer stuff. Froome was never quite English having been brought up in South Africa. But a Welshman will warm the hearts of those that think think in a certain way. Myself? I think he is a genuine salt of the earth.... unless he goes to Monaco as a tax exile ....

diawl bach

Great to see him win, a Cardiff boy and team member of the Maindy Flyers, our local club based just around the corner to me.

They're lighting up City Hall in yellow this weekend.

benisa

It would be great to be there and see it live

saw Tour of Spain with Nairo Quintana and Chris Froome last year come all through the village where I am in Spain

Now have the London Bike ride all cycling for good clause going by at the time of the road
going to give mark cavendish a good :thumbs: