Leader and tippet treatment

Tommy Ruffe

Ah the old floating leader debate ... again! 😂

I always religiously de-grease my leader, have done so for the past 40+years or so, but it does wear off and starts to float before it requires another application ... I remain unconvinced it makes any difference to the fish on stillwaters.

Wharncliffe Reservoir is a lightly stocked, heavily fished C&R water, is often beset with flat-calms, and the fish there are very wary indeed. I've regularly observed them swim up to a dry fly, almost to the point of touching it with their neb, before turning away. Occasionally one will take it. I've never observed them pay any attention or appear spooked by the leader even when it's floating. I guess on close examination of the fly it just doesn't look natural.

Cap'n Fishy

I always religiously de-grease my leader, have done so for the past 40+years or so.. I remain unconvinced it makes any difference to the fish on stillwaters..
If you don't think it makes any difference, why do you religiously degrease??? :unsure:

... it does wear off and starts to float before it requires another application ...
Jeezo! No sh1t, Sherlock! :rolleyes:

Wharncliffe Reservoir is a lightly stocked, heavily fished C&R water, is often beset with flat-calms, and the fish there are very wary indeed. I've regularly observed them swim up to a dry fly, almost to the point of touching it with their neb, before turning away. Occasionally one will take it. I've never observed them pay any attention or appear spooked by the leader even when it's floating.
That's a nonsensical statement. If they swim up to it and turn away at the last minute, how do you know it wasn't a floating leader that made them turn away??? :unsure:

... I guess on close examination of the fly it just doesn't look natural.
Make observations. Don't guess. ;)