Leader catching on fly line

PaulD

Nowadays we can have someone videoing us and then look at how and what we do when casting,
just a thought ;)

Very true. Videoing is an excellent resource . . . but it does rely upon the person watching the video to be able to spot and address 'the thing', or the combination of 'things', that are inhibiting performance.

Steven kermode

when I get tailing loops its usually because there's an obstruction behind me,
either a bush, tree, or high bank which forces me to cast skywards on my backcast,
and then level & forwards on the forward cast!
Breaking the 180% rule as has been mentioned!
the rearward cast should be on the same straight line plane as the forward cast!
If you are forced to aim high on the back cast, you either drill the lin down into the water on the forward cast or have to change the plane on the forward cast, to cast level and forward!
which causes the loop to close on its self!
so I aim lower on my backcast!
conversely, if your casting plane is greater than 180% you will create powerless wide open loops!

Steven kermode

when I get tailing loops its usually because there's an obstruction behind me,
either a bush, tree, or high bank which forces me to cast skywards on my backcast,
and then level & forwards on the forward cast!
Breaking the 180% rule as has been mentioned!
the rearward cast should be on the same straight line plane as the forward cast!
If you are forced to aim high on the back cast, you either drill the lin down into the water on the forward cast or have to change the plane on the forward cast, to cast level and forward!
which causes the loop to close on its self!
so I aim lower on my backcast!
conversely, if your casting plane is greater than 180% you will create powerless wide open loops!
I recommend an old book called ,fly fishing strategy, by Swisher & Richards, it explains the problem
well! its causes &remedies! basicely you need to watch your loops & learn how to create wide & narrow loops
as well as open & closed tailing loops, at will! by changing the arc of your wrist and casting plane!

Latest posts