Leader drifting

TonyH87

Hello Ladies, Gents and fellow scum.

This is my first post here, i have been hanging about for a bit, watching, learning and laughing.

Its been great reading you all and i have learnt lots, i started fly fishing april last year, so almost everything i read is new.

The answer to my question is invariably: get a lessson.

But i have a problem.

I have been fishing almost exclusively the washing line from the bank since before lockdown.

My problem is i have 15ft of leader that often drops at the end of my line, so i have to quickly pull in 15ft to get into contatct with my line, its at a right angle to the right of my line?

Do i need more line speed? i feel like i need to finish my cast higher?

Mrtrout

The way I read it you are using a 15ft tippet?
if that’s so is it a tapered one or straight through mono.
Try using a 10 ft one and see if that turns over better, with the weight of flies you have on it seems strange to me that it just crumples at the end of your main line?
S.

original cormorant

My analysis is that your leader isn't turning over on the forward cast because it isn't straightening on your backcast. Pause a bit longer on the backcast before begining the forward stroke.
But then I'm not a casting coach. Practice and qualified instruction are the keys.

TonyH87

Hello all, thanks in advance. sorry for not making it clearer. i am fishing a 15ft leader with a booby/fab on point, diawl bach/ cruncher/buzzer at 5 ft intervals

TonyH87

My analysis is that your leader isn't turning over on the forward cast because it isn't straightening on your backcast. Pause a bit longer on the backcast before begining the forward stroke. -- i have tried this and i catch the bank behind and lose flies, is it a height thing?

taffy1

Could be the aerodynamics of what's attached to your leader, as you suggested, maybe a a lesson or 2 & possibly an increase in line speed on your delivery would help.

TonyH87

my line basically goes out the same distance, no matter effort, i had a lessson and couldnt believe how little effort he wanted me to impart

3lbgrayling

My analysis is that your leader isn't turning over on the forward cast because it isn't straightening on your backcast. Pause a bit longer on the backcast before begining the forward stroke. -- i have tried this and i catch the bank behind and lose flies, is it a height thing?
If you stop the rod late.then the rod will drift back and the leader will drop..Try stopping the rod on the backcast at about 12 oclock and holding without it drifting downward.or even having it with a slight upward angle.
If you are a right handed caster then put your left foot forward slightly,this will allow you to turn your head with no effort to watch your backcast unfolding,until you get used to the feel of the line loading the rod.
(the clock analogy is not the best but it will do in this case)

Jim

TonyH87

Try stopping the rod on the backcast at about 12 oclock and holding without it drifting downward.or even having it with a slight upward angle. so stop at the vertical?

BobP

The problem seems fairly straightforward to me. You are, by your own admission, a fairly new fly fisher and caster and are using a longish leader with a bulky, air-resistant fly at the end of it which is going to hinder your turnover. Shorten the leader by a third and start again.

TonyH87

The problem seems fairly straightforward to me. You are, by your own admission, a fairly new fly fisher and caster and are using a longish leader with a bulky, air-resistant fly at the end of it which is going to hinder your turnover. Shorten the leader by a third and start again.

Thanks, maybe i should cast within my range, its just half the time it goes out straight but the rest of the time it falls at a right angle to the wind, if it was always bad id find it easier to cast shorter i was just wondering what to look out for

GEK79

As good advice as can be given.. 👍👍